Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2018, 08:10 AM   #1
RussC
Registered Member

Have you increased your RedSea Reservoir on your Red Sea Tank and How?

I've got a Red Sea Reefer XL 425. Gotta tell you, love this tank. But now I'm looking to improve on the top off capacity. It comes with a 3 gallon gravity reservoir. Gives me about 2.5-3 days top off. Has anyone found a practical way to improve the capacity? My thoughts are to add a 5 gallon exterior tank, use the Neptune Systems ATO kit and install it in the included 3 gallon for a total of 8 gallon reservoir. But I'm open to suggestions. Got any? Downside is I really want to avoid external equipment. The compartment next to my sump contains all my controls. Limited space. Especially not for a 5 gallon reservoir. Thoughts?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 425 Alive and Kick'n BOD 8-29-17
RussC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 08:26 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Got a picture of it..
I'm not familiar with it but assuming its just some container with space next to it put another whatever container you can find that will work and connect the 2 near the bottom with a bulkhead/pipe so that the water from the one contributes to the total volume in the other..

Unread 01/28/2018, 08:35 AM   #3
RussC
Registered Member

McG, I hope I did't interrupt your meeting with a man about a dog! HA

Red Sea's reservoir is glass and is designed to sit on top of the sump. So I'm a little hesitant to go drilling holes for bulkheads. I considered a gravity feed of some kind, but my limited space prevents that.

When I started looking at Neptunes ATO, it looked as though I could trick the Water level monitor into thinking my included 3 gallon reservoir is my tank. Install the level monitor in the three gallon and just refill the 3 gallon tank from a larger reservoir. I would still have an external tank (which is really not preferred) but I believe a 5 gallon could be hidden enough where folks really wouldn't see it.

So I have a plan. But not trying to recreate the wheel if I can avoid it. Plus I have a cup of coffee and some time in front of me and figured I'd reach out to the world and see what creative ideas have been used. In a perfect world, I'd have a 30 gallon tank in another room and worry bout top off once a month! But then in a perfect world, my tank would be 1000 gallons and I'd be a scuba enthusiast.

Unread 01/28/2018, 08:39 AM   #4
RussC
Registered Member

Forgot the pic...

You can see the reservoir up top right side sitting over the return portion of the sump.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1595.jpg (61.7 KB, 99 views)

Unread 01/28/2018, 10:44 AM   #5
mako61
Registered Member

I added a Ato with an external tank. It holds 3x the water. But it does sit outside the stand so I spent a little extra an got one the wife approved.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 12:01 PM   #6
RussC
Registered Member

Yep. Gotta be purdy if gonna be outside tank. Or at least hidden a little.

Unread 01/28/2018, 12:20 PM   #7
tletourneau
Registered Member

I don't know if this would work for you but we are planning on running the an ATO from our 40 gallon RODI storage tank. We will run it either directly to the existing ATO storage or to the sump and turn the ATO tank into a refugium. It depends on the space in the sump I guess. We are currently in the planning stage and are getting a Reefer 350.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 01/28/2018, 04:34 PM   #8
mako61
Registered Member

Not cheap, but i got one of these. Im very happy with it.

https://advancedacrylics.com/collect...off-new-design

I got the 11g. It lasts close to a week. If I did it again I may get a slightly bigger one.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 12:20 PM   #9
Xandernfs
Registered Member

I eliminated the reservoir and have a 10 gallon acrylic reservoir next to the sump in my RSR250. I only have to fill it once a week! I set my ATS on top of the back of the reservoir and plumed my manifold to power the ATS. The ATS return dumps back into the overflow area.

Last edited by Xandernfs; 01/29/2018 at 02:46 PM.
Xandernfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 05:54 PM   #10
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussC View Post
I've got a Red Sea Reefer XL 425. Gotta tell you, love this tank. But now I'm looking to improve on the top off capacity. It comes with a 3 gallon gravity reservoir. Gives me about 2.5-3 days top off. Has anyone found a practical way to improve the capacity? My thoughts are to add a 5 gallon exterior tank, use the Neptune Systems ATO kit and install it in the included 3 gallon for a total of 8 gallon reservoir. But I'm open to suggestions. Got any? Downside is I really want to avoid external equipment. The compartment next to my sump contains all my controls. Limited space. Especially not for a 5 gallon reservoir. Thoughts?
We purchased the same tank, and have the same issue... except our ATO tank runs dry in about a day and a half. It sucks having to refill it all the time, so we're going to do exactly what you describe in the coming weeks. We're going to use the cupboard on the right side where there is storage space to put a larger water container and use the Neptune ATK to feed the current ATO res.

If you beat us to it, post pics! I'm curious to see how you'll set yours up. There isn't much room around the ATO res that comes with the tank, but there is a small hole to send wires and hose through from one compartment to the other so hoping we can find a good solution. We were going to just feed the sump directly, but as fast as our water evaporates, every little extra bit of storage will help.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 425 XL Deluxe, Nano Max, 55g Observation, 20g QT
SereneAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 06:09 PM   #11
Optionman
Registered Member

Have you increased your RedSea Reservoir on your Red Sea Tank and How?

I have a Red Sea 650 and bypassed the reservoir totally. My configuration allowed me to run a long branch off my RODI line directly to my sump, using a float as an ATO on/off valve. I could have had the RODI line fill the RS reservoir but I choose to eliminate 1 step. This has worked flawlessly for me for nearly 2 years.

Maybe some variation of this set up would work for you. Just throwing out an idea. Good luck and you will love the RS.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_5886.jpg

Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 11:50 PM   #12
Raptor72
Registered Member

I have the 750 and am planning to do a 20 gal in a ottoman.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL, Red Sea 170
Raptor72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 08:17 AM   #13
RussC
Registered Member

Raptor, clever hiding trick!

Unread 01/30/2018, 09:04 AM   #14
allendehl
Registered Member

I have a 350 and the right compartment is filled up with the electrical switches and controls. No extra room for ATO, plus a bit dangerous.
Having an external ATO will never fight with the wife. I am sort of stuck with the smaller ATO unles some one more clever than me comes up with a solution.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 05:56 PM   #15
rjjr1963
Registered Member

I used a pet food storage container. They come in various sizes. Not bad for $32

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 03:40 PM   #16
LegendOfDragon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionman View Post
I have a Red Sea 650 and bypassed the reservoir totally. My configuration allowed me to run a long branch off my RODI line directly to my sump, using a float as an ATO on/off valve. I could have had the RODI line fill the RS reservoir but I choose to eliminate 1 step. This has worked flawlessly for me for nearly 2 years.

Maybe some variation of this set up would work for you. Just throwing out an idea. Good luck and you will love the RS.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAttachment 386518
I know it old thread but if you connect it directly to sump it will create TDS creep and you will go through your DI a lot.

LegendOfDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 09:01 AM   #17
RussC
Registered Member

I removed my top off tank on my Red Sea Reefer XL425. I added a larger, 7 gallon container in a piece of furniture next to my tank and added a Neptune ATK system. Found it much easier and a lot more convenient. An unintended result was all the additional room it created in my sump. It all started from me getting tired of having to fill up the small, 3 gallon top off.