Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/25/2019, 05:02 AM   #1
Thierry05
Registered Member

soft corals not doing too well.

Just under two weeks ago, I bought new corals for my tank - a leather coral and two zoanthids. The zoanthids originally opened up for the first day but then closed soon after. This partly was because of how i fed the tank around the same time, but ultimately fed too much, which may have been the problem (I have stopped feeding them). It caused a small algae outbreak but I did a water change. However, two water changes later and my corals are still not doing particulary well. I also had lowered the salinity to 1.026 when originally the tank seemed to be thriving at 1.028 (I mixed distilled water into the jug of saltwater i have for water changes). The gsp colony does not look as green anymore, having brown tentacles instead and green centres (I believe this is because of the low lighting i kept them at while acclimating the other corals). And some of my clove polyps are not opening. One of the zoanthid colonies seems to have algae growing over the top of it which is preventing it from opening, while the other colony is not opening either. Other than the colour change, the GSP colony is doing okay and the green clove polyps are trying to open, along with a leather coral, which seems to be faring almost as well as the gsp colony but with faded colour too.

I just did my second waterchange yesterday and have been upping the lighting a little.

You may have noticed that my tank is rather small (search up Minicompletetank), but originally this build was thriving. I am recieving a temperature regulator today which will also lower the stress for the tank as the heater for the tank is not reliable, and so I try to keep it in the 24-25 degree range with occasional fluctuations. I also will be finding ways to direct the flow, as the tank's flow seems to be restricted to the upper areas, despite a relatively powerful pump for it's size.

Below is a picture of the zoanthids, and a picture of the them before it crashed.
I would greatly appreciate any help with this problem.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thierry05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2019, 04:27 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

What level of N and P are you running?

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2019, 08:24 PM   #3
boombox3
Registered Member

I would do a few more water changes and see if that improves coral opening. Also if you stirred up any sand it may have caused too much toxic debris from being released. Consider lowering your light intensity as wel to mitigate algae growth and slowly acclimate your new arrivals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boombox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2019, 03:34 AM   #4
Thierry05
Registered Member

Thanks for all your replies!! My app didnt seem to be notifying of replies so i apologise that I didnt see these earlier. My zoanthids have improved and look way better (I also moved them round the tank a little). Many thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thierry05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2019, 03:14 AM   #5
DrakeFrst
Registered Member

Individual polyps of soft corals are immersed in a common body and connected to each other by a system of channels. The intestinal cavities of primary polyps stretch from the base of the colony to its surface, where the polyp head is located with a mouth surrounded by a corolla of tentacles.

DrakeFrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2019, 08:04 AM   #6
albano
SALTWATER since '73

IMO, 1.028 salinity is too high, and unnecessary

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote