Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2019, 07:51 AM   #1
luke1234
Registered Member

Can torch corals sting and kill fish??

As above guys
Been reefkeeping for over 25 years and over the past 4 years I have built up a good collection of anampses wrasse.
Over the last few months I have lost 8 anampses 2 tangs and a few others.
Sometimes i have found my wrasse lying on the sand bed acting dazed and lethargic.
Water params are perfect and there is no sign of disease and no.new fish added for 6 months or more.
I was asked at my lfs if I had anything that could sting them and I have a torch coral that I have had for over 8 months that has become huge.
They say this is a possibility but I cannot find much info online.
Any advice greatly appreciated
Kind regards

luke1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2019, 08:15 AM   #2
heritage
Registered Member

I don't think so. I have a huge torch as well and the fish constantly swim around it. I don't think the sting is strong enough.

What kind of torch ?

heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2019, 12:38 PM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I would say yes. They have nematocysts like anemones and can even sting anemonefish, so they should definitely be capable of stinging other fish. Many corals actually use sweeper tentacles to keep the competition at bay.
But I don't think that they have the same stickiness as anemones and are not very likely to actually catch and kill larger fish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2019, 06:18 PM   #4
lgtentacle
Registered Member

They can definitely kill smaller fish (damsel/goby sized), but would only kill larger fish (tangs/wrasses) if the fish swam into a large torch coral and was stung by a large number of tendrils. Sometimes that happens with the more skittish fish when they are startled.

In the process of re-wiring my new house for my next tank (hopefully a 300 gallon mixed reef).

Current Tank Info: Currently a 125g fresh, but I'll be switching back to salt soon! (once I get the funds...<cry>)
lgtentacle is offline   Reply With Quote