Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2018, 02:20 PM   #1
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Floating canopy installation for larger tanks

I was curious who here has done a floating canopy installation for their large reef tanks? Ive looked around the forums a bit, and many of the write ups I am seeing are for suspending much smaller canopies(i.e. less weight), or installing light lifts in non visible locations(i.e. not pretty). What I want to do is install a nice looking large floating canopy(72" L x 33" D x 20" H) in a living room. Ive looked around a bit, and one idea I am kicking around is getting an aluminum frame from somewhere like 8020 or eztube, and skinning it with some thin wood veneer. That still leaves the question of how I will suspend it, and raise and lower it at will.

Anyone have some thoughts on this? Anyone have any pictures? So many of the old threads are picture-less after the photobucket change =\

Thanks,
Jesse

jezzeaepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 07:22 PM   #2
Blue Tang Clan
Registered Member

This is the thread you have been searching for.

All of us would love to have this tank.

Blue Tang Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 07:24 PM   #3
Blue Tang Clan
Registered Member

Well, looks like ReefCentral doesn't like links to that "other" reefing site.

Do a search on clay-boa for "675 gallon glass display / 1,100 + gallon system in LA" and look at page 9. Then look at every page and drool.

Unread 03/12/2018, 07:25 PM   #4
Blue Tang Clan
Registered Member

Seriously, I can't even type R. then the number 2, and then another R? Clay-boa was the sanitized version that posted? This is why people have been steadily migrating away from this site.

Unread 03/12/2018, 10:09 PM   #5
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

I found it. I am not on that level... Lol

Unread 03/14/2018, 05:42 AM   #6
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tang Clan View Post
Seriously, I can't even type R. then the number 2, and then another R? Clay-boa was the sanitized version that posted? This is why people have been steadily migrating away from this site.
It is annoying yes, but there is way better info on this forum than the one you're referring to

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 11:15 AM   #7
iced98lx
Registered Member

you could, alternatively, point at the same user's build thread featuring the same photos right here on RC.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2645176&page=4

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 12:35 PM   #8
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Unfortunately the details on how the user set that up are a bit limited. I wont have an attic to work with, so Ill be limited to mounting within the existing room.

This is probably an easy question for some of you handy folks, but I am bit "new" to being handy. My goal is to figure out what type of hardware I can use to hang the canopy from the ceiling, how I can raise and lower it(manually is fine), and how I can be 100% sure that it is safe, and wont come crashing down on my new tank due to equipment failure, or human error.

Thanks,
Jesse