Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2019, 01:27 PM   #1
pelfiredc
Registered Member

GHA over run!

Hey guys I went away for 2.5 weeks and came home to GHA turning my tank into the Amazon. Most corals are shot and water parameters are now good with water changes but read that dosing hydrogen peroxide into tank @ 12% 1ml per 10 gallons will wipe it out and slightly stress corals but not kill them for a day or so????? Thoughts? Don't want to loose the rest of the corals! Ty for thoughts!!!

pelfiredc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2019, 02:05 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Nitrate/Phosphate results?
2.5 weeks will usually not take an algae free tank to the amazon.. Usually conditions were already on the decline,etc... I'm not sure what you define as "good" so you may still have an issue to solve there..

Some recommend peroxide.. some are against it..
I will use it outside of the tank in a 50/50 mix with old tank water and scrubbing with a toothbrush on the rocks.. That works well.. but in the tank can be hit or miss..

A product like fluconazole (sold under the name Reef Flux for this industry) works very well to kill GHA. I'd recommend it vs peroxide..

Unread 08/13/2019, 03:57 PM   #3
fu_iceman
Registered Member

I put a large Mexican turbo snail in my tank after battling GHA for months. Cleared it in a week. He's still very happy grazing all day to keep it from coming back. I only have a 10 gallon nano, but I tried everything from scrubbing the rocks, black outs, weekly water changes, lawn mower blenny.... Turbo snail crushed it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

fu_iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2019, 06:23 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

What water parameters were bad when you got back home?

I wouldn't dose hydrogen peroxide, personally, but it might work. It might damage fish goals or corals, or both. Fluconazole is a good suggestion, in my opinion, and you might find a snail that will eat it. Snails definitely are hit-and-miss, though.

How unhappy are the corals? If the situation is not an emergency, I'd stick with fluconazole and maybe a bit of hand-pruning. I would avoid spending a lot of time removing the algae. The goal is nutrient export, so getting all of the algae is not at all the idea.

Unread 08/14/2019, 07:50 AM   #5
pelfiredc
Registered Member

Ty guys I'll get the flux and order snails. The phos went thru the roof but I think my kit was bad and checked w meter. Have done changes....... will do more and am running GFO and carbon now. Phosban same as flux???? Most sps died ,other hammers n frogs softies all stressed but alive

pelfiredc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2019, 07:48 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

Fluconazole is an anti-fungal drug that seems to kill some algae, for reasons that aren't quite clear. PhosBan or another GFO sometimes helps with algae, but it tends to be a long-term solution.

Unread 08/15/2019, 06:48 AM   #7
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Not enough info here, you didn't answer the Q about what the water chemistry was when you returned, you didn't mention was the tank being baby sat or auto fed, you didn't mention the lighting schedule while you were gone, i could go on & on ...........Instead of focusing only on how to treat this prob how about also focusing on what caused it, treating is a band aid and the reason for it in the first place needs to be dealt with.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2019, 06:59 PM   #8
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

Put more crabs in my tank and that got rid of it.

gprdypoo04 is offline   Reply With Quote