Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2018, 08:02 AM   #1
deputydog95
Registered Member

Are there any toxins in marine cloves?

I'm really struggling to keep them in check. Nothing seems to eat them, so I've resorted to scrubbing them off with a stiff plastic brush or a toothbrush in the more delicate spots. Nothing eats them and I'm apprehensive about trying the chemical treatment... I was hoping if I keep beating them back, they'll eventually die off.

I'm actually winning the war against the cloves, and the tank looks pretty good now, but my SPS monti's all seem to be in a perpetual state of being ****ed off since I started getting more aggressive with the scrubbing.

I generally only do mass scrubbing right before a water change as a precaution, but I'm still having the issues with the monti species.

Maybe they're unrelated? Who knows... The other SPS species look great, but the monti's that remain either are dying off or just look terrible.

Any thoughts on this?

Unread 11/07/2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

make sure you use activated carbon when scrapping them to take out the excess toxins they release when stressed.

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2018, 04:44 PM   #3
davocean
Registered Member

Absolutely they release toxins of some kind when disturbed.
Years ago when I had them I tried scrubbing too, and yes it can look like you are winning, they scrub fairly easy, but every coral in my tank receded something awful immediately.
All my euphyllia looked like skeletons, luckily they bounced back, w/ the help of a large WC and carbon.

There's a thread floating around here on fluke tabs or something that does get rid of them.

They do come back no matter how much you scrub

Fenbendazole, search that

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD

Last edited by davocean; 11/07/2018 at 04:51 PM.
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 09:21 AM   #4
deputydog95
Registered Member

I've read the posts on Fenbendazole. I'm just really concerned about killing the cloves, but having some nasty side effect.

I may have to give that a go. I'm tired of looking at them....

Unread 11/09/2018, 09:41 AM   #5
deputydog95
Registered Member

Does anyone know what cloves actually use to survive? Nutrients in the water column, detritus blowing around, light, etc?

And I wonder how they don't grow out of control in the wild since it appears they have no natural predators we can add to the tanks.