Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/21/2014, 02:24 PM   #1
Cabo2008
Registered Member

Current flow in Biocube 29

Ok, so I've been reading around and seeing what everyone else is doing for flow in their nano's and I'm looking for some opinions on mine.

Just a little history, I used to have a 210G display reef tank years ago, but had to take it down due to relocating. Moving around and such prevented me from building a new tank. Now I decided I really wanted to get back into it, but until I buy another house, I don't want to go big, so I went with a Biocube 29.

Now, onto the flow question. Currently I have swapped out the stock return with a CA MJ1200, and have added 2x Tunze 6015's, and 1 Jebao WP-10 for wavemaking.

It's a bare bottom tank (I didn't want to deal with all the issues that can arise with a sand bed and I like the bare bottom look once coraline algae starts building up).

I have the 2x 6015's in each rear corner pointed down and to the front/middle to push any detritus to the front for easy cleaning during water changes.

The WP-10 is about mid-way down from the top and a little more toward the front on the right side (if you're facing the tank).

Now I don't think it's quite a "hurricane" in the tank, but there's a bit of current that really flows all over the place and it makes the WP-10 more of a powerhead than a "wave maker".

So what I'm thinking of doing is this:

-remove both 6015's
-add RW-4 opposite of the WP-10 to have kind of a "push-pull" for the waves/current

I'll have to do a little more work to siphon out the detrius during water changes but I think that might be better for the coral.

Oh, and I'm really just keeping LPS (mostly acan's and blasto's) now but might add some SPS higher in the tank later on down the road.

So what do you all think?

Cabo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2014, 12:50 AM   #2
Nor_Cal_Guy
Registered Member

Video of current flow?

Nor_Cal_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2014, 04:42 PM   #3
Cabo2008
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Guy View Post
Video of current flow?
I'll make a video shortly. I'm not too sure how well you'll be able to see it as I don't have any softies which would be more noticeable.

Maybe I'll video it right as I'm feeding and leave the pumps running.

Unread 12/22/2014, 06:49 PM   #4
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

I just put a rw-4 in my 28,I run it on the third from the lowest setting and pulse set at midway,it is blow some of my sand.One of those and your wp-10 will be plenty.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2014, 09:07 AM   #5
njones
Registered Member

I just run the factory return for mine and it still seems like a lot of flow in some areas, but I would say without any sps you can cut back on some power and wires and take at least one out.

njones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2014, 06:27 PM   #6
Cabo2008
Registered Member

Flow video

Unread 12/23/2014, 06:32 PM   #7
Cabo2008
Registered Member

Ok, so I was testing to see if I embedded it right and now I can't edit it, so I'll just add the notes in this post.

First, yes, that pretty heavy feeding, but I did't it to better show the flow. I'm doing a water change after I finish this post.

Second, in this video, the RW4 and the right (as you view the video) down-pointing 6015 is turned on. The left 6015 is off.

Thanks for your observations and ideas!

Unread 12/23/2014, 10:04 PM   #8
Nor_Cal_Guy
Registered Member

upload it to youtube, post a link. No link in your post above...

Unread 12/24/2014, 05:41 AM   #9
Cabo2008
Registered Member

That's wierd, it shows up when im logged in, but doesn't when I'm not.

Anyway, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6DZiAyz0Pg

Unread 12/28/2014, 11:22 PM   #10
Nor_Cal_Guy
Registered Member

That's a lot of food! Looks like PLENTY of flow to me. How do the corals seem to like it? I'd say you can do with less flow for feeding sake of the coral.

Fast snail BTW.

Unread 01/09/2015, 05:39 PM   #11
Cabo2008
Registered Member

Hey! Thanks for the comments. I kind lost track of this over the holidays.

Yeah, that was a lot of food....really just to show the flow better (I did a water change right after this to clean it out a bit).

The coral seem pretty happy so far. I've actually changed it around a bit (you know how it is.....always trying to make it better). I'm running a RW-4 wavemaker now with a Koralia in the back corner aimed forward to keep the bottom cleaner.

My biggest issue now is getting the placement and settings right to get more natural wave motion in the tank from the RW-4.