Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Where would you put a low profile overflow on a 4' x 3' foot print tank?
Centered on the 4 foot wall? 3 100.00%
Centered on the 3 foot wall? 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2018, 05:08 PM   #1
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Where to put overflow on 4' x 3' footprint tank

Tank is 200 gallons, 48" x 36" x 27"(H)is going to be quasi-in wall, 2 side viewable one 4' panel and one 3' panel. Easiest way to imagine it is that it's the "corner" of the outside room, where the "room" in question is a fish room.

So I'm bouncing ideas my ahead on where to put the overflow, it'll either be centered on the 3' side or the 4' side. It will be one of the Modular Marine skinny boxes, either the 24" or the 30" one. Now ignoring how the tank might be setup or the use of a particular specialty pump (Gyre). How would you put the overflow?

If one goes along the 4' side, there's less of a visual footprint from the 3' window than if I reversed things, and this is a minor thing because the overflow is so thin and it'll still be 9 inches from the window, versus 6 inches (or 3 inches if I go for the 30" version on the 36" side)

Unread 05/27/2018, 04:45 PM   #2
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

I would just put it where it will be seen the least.
If you are going to place your pumps in accordance to where the overflow is placed, go nuts and just do wherever it looks best IMO.

HarrisonMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2018, 11:12 AM   #3
moondoggy4
Registered Member

If you are going to have valves, put the overflow someplace where they are easy to reach.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2018, 03:22 PM   #4
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
If you are going to have valves, put the overflow someplace where they are easy to reach.
Yes, absolutely. I find one of the number one annoyances with certain aspects of my system is that things are hard to reach and move and get out.

HarrisonMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2018, 04:06 PM   #5
biecacka
Registered Member

Why not put it along the whole side of the tank. Either a 3 or 4 ft side and maximize the surface skimming?
But as stated above. Also make sure the drain lines are easily accessible for any maintenance.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 05:29 PM   #6
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Why not put it along the whole side of the tank. Either a 3 or 4 ft side and maximize the surface skimming?
But as stated above. Also make sure the drain lines are easily accessible for any maintenance.

Corey
Put simply, not sure that would look to have a thin black acrylic box at the front of the tank, even if its a small profile. While some will be viewable regardless, I feel having it further back might make it nicer. Now I could put it asymmetrical on the glass so that it goes all the way into the back corner, but an extra 6 inches of skimming surface might not make that much of a deal.

I do like the idea of which ever gives best access. One the short side I will have 3 feet behind the tank to move around, the longer side only 2.5 feet.

Unread 06/05/2018, 05:53 PM   #7
lapin
Registered Member

I have a 5x5 tank. Outside corner (viewable 2 sides) Here is picture of my overflow attached to the tank. I have the back (overflow side) and the one other side covered with black cloth. The overflow box is not really noticeable because of the black cloth.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank_overflow_box.jpg (30.5 KB, 16 views)

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 07:19 PM   #8
Lsufan
Registered Member

I would lean towards getting the 36” mm box & installing it on the 4’ side of the tank. I always like to have as long of a overflow that will fit. Not only for surface skimming but the bigger the box the more consistent the drains will be, which means less time messing with the valve. As long as it’s plumbed correctly , with a big enough box u may go years without having to touch the valve on the drain. I usually stop my overflows about 3” from the ends of the tank because I think it looks better then going the entire distance if the sides are viewable.

It would also depend how your sump is going to be setup. U want it to be accessible but I also always try to have as straight of a shot as possible to the sump with the drains. So whatever side is going to be closest to where the drains enter the sump may be your best option.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 02:19 PM   #9
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Lapin is there an inside box on your tank? I'm not worried too much about the external look since the two sides will be in a fish room area. Just feel similar to not placing rock too close to the glass an area will get dirty, but if you can't access it for cleaning it'll be that eye sore you hate.

Lsufan, yeah that's the catch 22 unfortunately, either a "straight" shot with the drain, or a "straight" shot for the return pump. But I think I might go with the 36" option, perhaps get the toothless version of the Modular Marine overflow too to effectively double my skimming surface, although I wish I could find some pictures of what the toothless version looks like.