Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2021, 08:41 AM   #1876
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I have wondered about that. I arranged the QT so that all the cover is at the back end of the tank. Maybe I should spread it out a little, so she might feel less vulnerable out in the open. I'm sure she will feel better in the display. I'm dying to get her in, but I'm not going to put her in until I at least have the grammas and have a plan. Some people QT fish for two months, so I do have time to play with.

Defoliating. New word! Me likey!

QT20

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2021, 11:51 AM   #1877
vlangel
Registered Member

If Scarlett is eating well then there is no hurry. Ha ha, you are so much more patient than I am! Kudos to you for choosing what is best.

Now that I am thinking about it, I think the word is exfoliating (oops) although that puts thoughts of skin cleansers in my mind.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2021, 11:58 AM   #1878
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

No, I looked it up! Defoliating is a word, and you used it correctly.

I agree there's no hurry to get Scarlett into the display, other than I want to. I'm quite disappointed that KP's hasn't gotten the grammas in. So now I'm looking at another site, to see if they'll get captive bred Orchid Dottybacks in stock. Whoever gets fish in first wins!

Unread 02/26/2021, 02:25 PM   #1879
vlangel
Registered Member

Well wonders never cease about me using the word defoliating correctly. And so I guess 'exfoliating' really is for loofahs and granular face cleansers!

I am still rooting for grammas but orchid dottybacks would be cool too. Since they are captive bred do you think they will use the holes built in the wall? I suppose it might have to do with how many generations they are removed from their ocean ancestors. I am finding that clownfish are not as interested in hosting BTAs as when I was younger and my theory is that they are losing some of that instinct which is so crucial in the ocean environment but not necessary at all in aquaria.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 02/26/2021, 02:49 PM   #1880
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's a good point about the Orchid Dottybacks. My guess is that they would still seek vertical habitat, but it could also be like captive bred clowns ignoring anemones. I guess it's not terribly important, as long as everyone finds a home. I'd definitely prefer they use the holes in the back wall. If I did end up with them, I might not need to remove the damsels. I'm sure the larger and more established damsels would 'encourage' them to seek shelter alternatives to the patch reef.

Unread 02/27/2021, 02:27 PM   #1881
vlangel
Registered Member

That is true that the dottybacks might be really happy to have the holes in the back wall if the damsels stay in the tank. And they may not be impacted at all about seeking a vertical refuge even though they are captive bred. It will be interesting regardless and I am anxious to see whatever species for a harem.

Unread 02/27/2021, 05:39 PM   #1882
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm anxious too! This waiting is getting old.

Today I noticed that glitter lines are back. I think it's because the water level is back up to normal. I'd let it drop over the last week, when we were having well issues. The lower water level was causing the wave box to take in air, and bubbles were collecting on the surface. It looks better now.

I went after the back wall Caulerpa today. More handfuls were removed. Heavy defoliation was committed. It looks pretty battered, but I didn't really come close to getting it all. It's definitely taken down a peg. It was hard work and I relaxed on the couch to recover and admire my handiwork. This led to a nice little nap…

Maybe I'll get some pics after sundown.

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 02/27/2021 at 05:53 PM.
Unread 02/27/2021, 05:42 PM   #1883
vlangel
Registered Member

Yes I would love to see pics of the defoliation!

Unread 02/27/2021, 05:52 PM   #1884
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

There's that word again! Shoot! I meant to use it in my last post. I still have time to edit…

Unread 02/27/2021, 07:55 PM   #1885
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I got a few pics.

In the full width shot you can see the thinned down Caulerpa on the back wall, the seagrasses have regained some height, after their haircut a couple weeks ago, and the macros filling in on the patch reef.

The Secret Garden.

Some defoliation but a long way to go. I think the only way to get rid of this stuff will be me choosing an herbivore to do it for me. I never thought I'd like to see a return of the Caulerpa Slugs until now…Or maybe I just learn to love it.

Close up of some 'Shrub Gracilaria' and the (possibly) Halymenia.

Obligatory end view. Note the height of the Sargassum. Taller! That's the one in less light. Also, with less Caulerpa on the back wall, the tank looks wider.

Front right corner of the patch reef.

Patch reef from the front. I'm pretty sure the Mangroves are dead. They're getting soft. I haven't decided what to do with them. I could remove them, or let them get overgrown with something.

Another view from the end.

Unread 02/27/2021, 07:56 PM   #1886
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That white ball at center is a sponge engulfing some of the String of Pearls plant. It hasn't gotten out of hand, so I'm leaving it be.

Go to the light Sargassum! It really would be cool if it grew to the surface.

Here's Allen, the Damsel pointing out the Galaxaura plants along the brightly lit left edge of the reef. Also note the shorter, but bushier Sargassum and it's close companion Botriocladia.

Unread 02/28/2021, 09:57 AM   #1887
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Nice pic dump! I have nothing to say except it looks great as usual!

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2021, 11:23 AM   #1888
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks ThePurple12. It's nice to keep up with the visual documentation. Every now and then, I'll go back and look at the progression, over the life of the tank. It's edutainment.

I checked KP's last night, and they finally got grammas in stock. I ordered six, plus a sponge and a gorgonian. Wooohooo!

QT22

Unread 02/28/2021, 12:55 PM   #1889
vlangel
Registered Member

Yeah, grammas was what I was hoping for!!! So what day are they projected to arrive?

I love the pics. I especially love the sargassum. I was going to ask what that little ball by the string of pearls was when I scrolled down further and learned that itisa sponge. Cool, as long as it does not smother desirable macros.

I am sorry to hear that the mangroves are probably dead but thank you for sharing with all of us about the journey with them. Now we do not need to re-invent the wheel unless we want to.

Unread 02/28/2021, 01:42 PM   #1890
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Honestly, I preferred the grammas too. I tried a pair of Orchid Dottybacks years ago in a reef tank, and one harassed the other to death. I think a harem could work, but I'd want to get at least six fish to spread out aggression. But they're too expensive for my blood, so I was planning to only get four, which would still be pricier than six grammas. KP ships Monday and Tuesday, so I guess I'll get them Tuesday or Wednesday.

I've been keeping an eye on that sponge and it has stayed small, thankfully. I want to encourage sponge growth, but not at the expense of my favorite plant.

I enjoyed the mangroves for over two years, so I'm not too bummed. I was happy to share my experience. I think that if I had maintained CO2 injection without gaps in production, they might have made it to the surface. After all, the main reason for aquatic plants to grow above the water surface is to get to CO2 in the air. If I ever try them again, I think I'd use the other method of suspending them, which would encourage prop root growth. If I could fabricate something to suspend them from above the water line, then you wouldn't see it, so it wouldn't look hideous. I'm still bummed by all the photos from v1, with the blue rubber bands holding macros onto my fake roots, which didn't work anyway.

Unread 02/28/2021, 11:07 PM   #1891
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I'm growing a mangrove in the overflow box. It hangs over the tank and currently has 4 leaves, but it's growing fast. Once it gets more leaves it could look pretty good hanging over the tank. Could you do something like that, or do you want to grow them in the tank itself for aesthetics?

Unread 03/01/2021, 05:26 AM   #1892
vlangel
Registered Member

O boy, so you think the grammas should arrive this Tuesday or Wednesday? How exciting is that?

I always wanted one of those neon blue and orange dottybacks. I think they might be called neon dottybacks but their reputation for being aggressive always scared me off. Too many stories of tiny killers I guess!

I know what you mean about trying to come up with an aesthetically pleasing way to incorporate mangrove seedlings to an aquarium. That is partly what has prevented me from attempting them myself. I do not remember mangroves in v1 so I can not comment about whether it was hideous or not. I would probably try to come up with a more euphemistic word to describe it rather than 'hideous' however, ha ha!

That is a clever idea you came up with ThePurple! I never would have thought about putting a mangrove in my overflow box.

Unread 03/01/2021, 09:44 AM   #1893
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm very excited!

Yes, the dottybacks are a mean bunch. In my opinion, they are a Rambo-Tank only kind of fish. The Orchid Dottybacks are the mellowest, but still pretty iffy in a peaceful community, in my experience. That was my biggest worry about the possibility of getting them. But they are so gorgeous!

For me, the only reason to have mangroves is for display. With my closed hood, that limits it really to just the roots, so putting them in an overflow would be pointless.

I never had mangroves in v1. I was referring to my efforts to attach macro algae to my fake mangrove roots, using rubber bands. So when I took pics, they were ruined by the unnatural looking rubber bands. That's what I was calling hideous. That experience made me wary of some of the unattractive mangrove adaptations I've seen.

Be careful The Purple12. Putting a plant that grows roots in an overflow…

Unread 03/01/2021, 10:55 AM   #1894
vlangel
Registered Member

Oh, okay. I knew I didn"t remember real mangroves in v1 but I got in on the thread later and thought I missed something. Yes, I do remember the macros being artificially atteched to the artificial mangrove. I would not have been so harsh as to call it hideous but it did detract from the natural look and so understand your feelings about it.

That is true about roots in the overflow, you definitely do not want them to clog the drain and create a flood situation. I have experienced sump water being pumped into a display that was not draining and I do not recommend it, LOL!

Unread 03/01/2021, 11:22 AM   #1895
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You'd make a good diplomat, Dawn! Sure, I would never say something was hideous in someone else's tank. But in my own, I'm comfortable being brutally honest! The thing that really got my goat, was that it didn't work!

Got my goat? Now we're gettin' folksy!

Unread 03/01/2021, 12:20 PM   #1896
vlangel
Registered Member

Ha ha yes I understand about being more forth right and honest about the less than attractive features about my own tank that I would never say about someone else's. I won't lie but I will look for the most positive way to share about someone else's tank. And then there is the saying, "if you can't say something good, do not say anything at all"! I guess that is diplomatic!

I am assuming that the rubber band were only to be temporary until the macro's holdfasts began to hold them fast on their own. Well, how else could you find out that it wasn't going to work without putting it tithe test? There is no shame in that!

Unread 03/01/2021, 12:27 PM   #1897
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Not saying anything at all has been something I have gradually learned over the years on RC. It's a process…

I'm down to the put-a-rock-on-it technique, after trying several other methods. There's also the put-it-between-two-rocks variation. Oftentimes it's the simplest method that works the best.

Unread 03/01/2021, 12:36 PM   #1898
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Yeah Michael, I’m planning on moving the mangrove into the tank once it gets taller and can stand above the water.

Grammas come in today?

Unread 03/01/2021, 12:48 PM   #1899
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good to hear that's a temporary situation. With your open top tank, I think a mangrove could look super cool!

Not today. They will ship today or tomorrow, so they'll arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. As soon as they notify me they've shipped, I'll post it.

Here's the 36 gallon QT they'll be going in.

Unread 03/01/2021, 01:15 PM   #1900
vlangel
Registered Member

That looks like a very comfortable QT! The Hilton QT, no Super 8 QT for your grammas!

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass