Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/20/2014, 04:10 PM   #526
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

LooooooooooKing great
Once you have your ocean motions where you want them I would add a couple of strong ties supporting/holding Flowwold straight and firm. Run ties in opposite direction as Flex can put a constant torque on plumbing unsupported.

Aquatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2014, 11:37 PM   #527
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
I made a lot of progress this week. Getting thru the cinder block was a lot harder than I thought it would since it was filled with cement. After trying to do it with a hammer drill, mason bits and a chisel...I decided to call a tool rental place and this is what they suggested.....

A 25 lb Bosch chipping hammer

Nothing like the right tool! Great work.

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Lavoisier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2014, 12:28 PM   #528
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatron View Post
LooooooooooKing great
Once you have your ocean motions where you want them I would add a couple of strong ties supporting/holding Flowwold straight and firm. Run ties in opposite direction as Flex can put a constant torque on plumbing unsupported.
Thanks Mace! I have a huge roll of the plastic strapping to secure pipes. We used a bunch of it yesterday to suspend the pvc in my crawl space so I will use that to help secure the diverters. I am going to order a replacement fitting for the dolphin pump just incase it springs a leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavoisier View Post
Nothing like the right tool! Great work.
Im telling you I could hear the drill laughing at the brick as it was breaking a part

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2014, 07:34 PM   #529
NewMariner
Reef Tank Aficionado

Come on Steve, its about time a water test is done isn't it? I want to see those wolfs in action...Ive been holding back on plumbing my tank till I see if those wolf's work out...Im anxious already

Current Tank Info: 96x36x32 Envision Acrylics Tank
NewMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2014, 11:32 AM   #530
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMariner View Post
Come on Steve, its about time a water test is done isn't it? I want to see those wolfs in action...Ive been holding back on plumbing my tank till I see if those wolf's work out...Im anxious already
Im getting there Tony!!! Little by little!

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 07/22/2014, 09:52 PM   #531
NewMariner
Reef Tank Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Im getting there Tony!!! Little by little!
What do you think your dolphins are going to do flow wise in your tank? I thought about the 4750, but I got scared and went with the 6250's. I wanted some movement. You think they are going to be up to par? Are you putting both on the flow wolfs? What are you doing for a return pump?

Current Tank Info: 96x36x32 Envision Acrylics Tank
NewMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2014, 06:58 AM   #532
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMariner View Post
What do you think your dolphins are going to do flow wise in your tank? I thought about the 4750, but I got scared and went with the 6250's. I wanted some movement. You think they are going to be up to par? Are you putting both on the flow wolfs? What are you doing for a return pump?
I am putting the 4750's on the FW's. Each FW can handle a max of about 3600gph so I am hoping to achieve that or close to it. I had to reduce the 1.5" outlet from the 4750 to 1" for the FW so I will lose some gph there. I spoke with the people at Dolphin and they felt this would be achievable. One of the settings that I am really interested in on the FW is "random" and feel that should create more than enough chaotic movement in the tank. My return pump is a reeflo hammerhead/barracuda. That will be out in the garage which is about 26ft away. I will use that feed the dt and a manifold.

I need to get back on the plumbing wagon again and get this done already! I have been working on getting my Neptune Apex unpacked, cleaned up and running the last two nights. Thats all done so back to plumbing!

Unread 07/23/2014, 07:41 AM   #533
kewadiak
Registered Member

What kind of nozzle are you useing for the closed loop? Do all your returns for the closed loop come from the bottom of the tank. I can't even run my closed loop at full capacity because it blows the sand around and is a really strong flow. Just curious what you had in mind are you running sand? I use the sea floor special reef grade sand.

kewadiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2014, 08:00 AM   #534
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewadiak View Post
What kind of nozzle are you useing for the closed loop? Do all your returns for the closed loop come from the bottom of the tank. I can't even run my closed loop at full capacity because it blows the sand around and is a really strong flow. Just curious what you had in mind are you running sand? I use the sea floor special reef grade sand.
I have 4 returns in the front of the tank on the bottom panel and then 4 on the back panel set about 6" up from the bottom. Im just using the flex nozels from OM on my returns and will be doing a bare bottom tank.

Unread 07/28/2014, 07:32 AM   #535
SPotter
Registered Member

And So It Begins.....

The long wait to fill up! I started filling the tank around 5pm yesterday and at 8 am this morning this is where we are at.....

Very happy to say that there are no drips coming from any of the 10 bulkheads or closed loop plumbing so far! I will power up the pumps and flowwolf later on today when I get home from work. I still have a lot of plumbing to do in the fish room and then on to the electronics!

Last edited by SPotter; 07/28/2014 at 07:43 AM.
Unread 07/28/2014, 07:43 AM   #536
dave.m
Registered Member

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2014, 11:21 AM   #537
Osama
Registered Member

Looking Good No leaks great start......

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef DT 500 Gallons
Osama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2014, 12:11 PM   #538
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Congrats Steve. Your progress is moving along smoothly. Nothing like hearing no leaks from the bulkheads.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2014, 01:43 PM   #539
SPotter
Registered Member

A Low Country Reef Tank....one more final upgrade

Well I got ahead of myself ! Tank was about 2/3's full and one of the 2" bulkheads for the cl inlet started to drip and at a good rate. I tried to tighten it but couldn't do it. So tank is now drained.

Last edited by SPotter; 07/28/2014 at 02:12 PM.
Unread 07/28/2014, 06:39 PM   #540
Osama
Registered Member

Bummer !! for sure
Looking at the bright side better now than after the tank is fully loaded . Best Of Luck going forward.... Looking great ..Great work

Unread 07/28/2014, 07:03 PM   #541
Mike S
Registered Member

Beat but better to find out now. Any thoughts on just testing it with tap water?

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2014, 07:08 PM   #542
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Beat but better to find out now. Any thoughts on just testing it with tap water?
Pretty sure I figured out what I did. Before I started filling it I had to connect the strainer that the tank builder made for the inlets and I was having a hard time getting it to connect. I finally got it in place and pretty sure I shifted the bulkhead a little and then didn't retighten the nut. I will definitely use tap water for the next leak test....I was being very optimistic that there wouldn't be any leaks. Fortunately the rodi i bought is supposed to be extremely efficient with a 1:1 ratio. Im going to change the strainer to something that will be easier for me to install/maintenance as needed. Those won't be here until thursday so next leak test won't come until friday.

Unread 07/30/2014, 07:51 AM   #543
Osama
Registered Member

Hi Steve What is your RODI system with a 1:1 ratio... Thanks for the info

Unread 07/30/2014, 07:57 AM   #544
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osama View Post
Hi Steve What is your RODI system with a 1:1 ratio... Thanks for the info
its the aquafx octopus system.

Unread 08/02/2014, 06:59 AM   #545
SPotter
Registered Member

a few updates.....

New strainers for the CL arrived on thursday and I will do leak test #2 today.

http://premiumaquatics.com/products/...-strainer.html

I decided to build a couple of drip pans that would go under each CL pump. I used some extra 1x4's and bough a 7x10 pond liner on amazon for $30

Made some progress with the plumbing in the fish room...

And then yesterday I picked about 350 lbs of live rock from a guy in NC that was getting out of the hobby.....

Today I hope to finish the plumbing in the fish room and do my leak test on the DT.

Unread 08/04/2014, 08:10 AM   #546
SPotter
Registered Member

Drip..drip...drip....drip....

So leak test #2 failed. I developed a drip from the same bulkhead at about the same fill level on the tank. I drained the tank, removed the bulkhead, inspected for any debris or anything sticking out from the bulkhead. Nothing was noted but then I started looking at the bulkhead and it looks like it is leaning or tilted. So my guess is that the flange of the bulkhead isnt sitting 100% flat on the acrylic. I went ahead ordered a new bulkhead and hopefully this will be the problem.

Unread 08/04/2014, 08:15 AM   #547
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Steve, try looking into commercial grade bulkheads. In particular, Banjo. These are left-hand-threaded, double-gasketed, and the threading is much larger compared to BRS or other "standard" aquarium bulkheads. the only problem might be that the necessary hole diameters are slightly different for the same size pipe.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2014, 08:20 AM   #548
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Steve, try looking into commercial grade bulkheads. In particular, Banjo. These are left-hand-threaded, double-gasketed, and the threading is much larger compared to BRS or other "standard" aquarium bulkheads. the only problem might be that the necessary hole diameters are slightly different for the same size pipe.
Hey Bud, thats a Hayward sch 80 bulkhead from James. This one is left-hand-thread too...man that throws me off when I am in a panic. The first time I filled and it was dripping I went to tighten it and unfortunately I forgot that it was left hand...the drip turned into a stream at that point I have another Hayward coming tomorrow and if that one doesnt work then I will look for Banjo and see if that will work.

Unread 08/05/2014, 01:43 PM   #549
diegoluv
Registered Member

+1 on the banjos

diegoluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2014, 01:48 PM   #550
SPotter
Registered Member

I have been going back and forth on what type of lighting to supplement the MH's with and I finally decided to go with T5's. I was looking at a used LET 8x54 retro kit that is for sale on here but then I saw them on BRS for $311 brand new so I pulled the trigger on these......now need to think about what bulbs.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-ft-l...rofit-kit.html