Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2014, 09:03 PM   #76
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

YES do wait for a sale.. I do not know where to look, but waiting will save you a few dollars!

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2014, 10:42 PM   #77
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
YES do wait for a sale.. I do not know where to look, but waiting will save you a few dollars!
I actually saved almost 40% off regular retail price. ML seems to run these sales with some regularity if not complete predictability.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2014, 12:46 AM   #78
triggreef
Registered Member

I'm still not a believer that you actually got ich in there. You would think with all those tangs it would hit fast& hard. I had an in infected yt (in qt) that went from nothing to covered very fast. Like over night, so they are just as prone as the others. I know the hippos love to play in the sand esp over night.

Great build thread by the way

Unread 02/14/2014, 08:08 AM   #79
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggreef View Post
I'm still not a believer that you actually got ich in there. You would think with all those tangs it would hit fast& hard. I had an in infected yt (in qt) that went from nothing to covered very fast. Like over night, so they are just as prone as the others. I know the hippos love to play in the sand esp over night.
I'm not really sure what to think at this point because I agree with you. Ich is generally not subtle, particularly with Tangs. Perhaps I just have a 'polite' strain Your brother has the twin to my hippo and I figure you would have given me at least a little ribbing if that fish had infected his tank. It's definitely not sand grains, but I suppose it could be lympho.

Although I don't want to use it as a 'guinea pig', if ich-like symptoms don't progress any further in the next two weeks I may add my QT'd AT to the display figuring if any fish is going to unearth the parasite it will be him (or her).

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 02/14/2014, 11:10 AM   #80
WindyCityFlyer
Registered Member

This is a sweet tank, love the anemone island. Also could you use goo be gone on that background to remove the adhesive?

WindyCityFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2014, 11:47 AM   #81
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

The background will just peel off, just been too lazy to do it. I figure if I wait long enough coralline algae will cover the back and save me the trouble

Unread 02/14/2014, 09:41 PM   #82
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I'm now seeing spots on a few other fish too - diagnosis seems pretty obvious. Got a long weekend, sans wife and kids, so will have to remove all the fish and fallow the tank for 12 weeks. Ugh! Fortunately I kept the old 90, so that along with my dual 30G QT tanks will be pressed into service to house 30 fish for three months. Its going to get a bit crowded in there. Don't really see any way to catch the fish without dismantling most of the reef structure.

Unread 02/17/2014, 11:52 AM   #83
Pife
Registered Member

Congratulations on the ROTM! How did the weekend go?

Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2014, 02:08 PM   #84
worm5406

UUgh,.... yeah time to QT them all.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
Unread 02/17/2014, 04:07 PM   #85
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Congratulations on the ROTM! How did the weekend go?
Didn't get around to it. Ejector pump in the basement crapped out on me (pun intended) so spent most of Saturday swapping it out. Not a pleasant task. Plus I think I have decided that I'm losing my mind over this ich thing. Have been having all sorts of issues with the newly introduced Naso (which is now an ex-Naso despite 12 weeks of QT). Anyhow spots on Naso appear to have been lympho and all fish currently seem clear, so I dunno. Maybe trig's right!

Unread 02/18/2014, 11:06 AM   #86
worm5406

Well how can you confirm it and move forward?

Unread 02/19/2014, 01:30 AM   #87
triggreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Your brother has the twin to my hippo and I figure you would have given me at least a little ribbing if that fish had infected his tank.
He has something going on but IDK what either. He added a blue throat trigger that he qt'd but not really well and as soon as he added that he saw spots on the trigger that he wasnt able to see in his qt. He was actually able to catch it the next day some how and put it back into qt but the damage was done. So looking at his tank the other day, some fish show signs but others not really at all. Actually none really show signs but the hippo and powder brown. Strange spots though, strangely shaped, not like ich. And very few as well. I don't think I would tear his tank down if it were mine until things got worse.

In my reef I see some flashing but never any ich spots. Everything in my tank aside from leopards got copper and metro/or prazi. I inspect everyday for ich spots because I am crazy and paranoid. But I do see a couple tangs flash the sand bed now and then, and the same with the leopards. Never seen a mark on any of them. Sometimes I think maybe its some sort of territorial thing. idk. Sorry for the thread derailment.

Unread 02/20/2014, 01:23 PM   #88
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Finally got around to setting up my water change tanks; along with a better place for QT #2.

Tanks from left to right: 30G QT, 40B WC #1 and 40B WC #2

Dual overflow drains to main sump.

Feed to dual WC tanks is siphon from DT herbie. Runs through a single gate valve to a manifold with three ball valves. Normal use will have one of the ball valves to one of the WC tanks (for explanation purposes WC #1) open, and water overflowing from that tank into sump. The other WC tank (WC #2) will either be empty (as in the photos) or filled with newly mixed salt water with temporary circulation and heat. When I want to change 38 gallons of water, approximately every two weeks, I simply close the ball valve to WC #1 and open the ball valve to WC #2. Old water from WC #1 then drains out from the bulkhead drain in the very bottom of the tank. There is a third ball valve on the manifold that allows me to fill the 30G QT as needed.

Last edited by ca1ore; 02/20/2014 at 01:33 PM.
Unread 02/20/2014, 02:48 PM   #89
worm5406

That makes sense....

If you put some LR in it you could also use it as additional filtration. But the way you are going the less you have to worry, just flip the valve and a set of water just got replaced.

Good idea, if you have the tanks and room available.

Unread 02/20/2014, 05:36 PM   #90
lluv24
Registered Member

Your tank is amazing my friend ;-)

Current Tank Info: 200 DD Mixed Reef;-)
lluv24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2014, 03:03 PM   #91
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Most kind!

Water change rig seems to be working as designed. Getting quite a dusting of detritus on the bottom so tank is also functioning as a settling chamber.

Still no sign of any spots on a fish other than the hippo. I dread the day that removing all the fish will be necessary, though as a friend of mine says; there's no such thing as an uncatchable fish, just an aquarist unwilling to do what's necessary to catch it!

Unread 03/04/2014, 11:24 PM   #92
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Update on the fish stocking list.

In the main display:

Regal (Hippo) Tang - showing spots periodically
Yellow Tang - a big time bully
Purple Tang
Desjardini Sailfin Tang
Trio of Pajama Cardinals
Trio of Bartletts Anthias - on their way to being three males
Quartet of Pyramid Butteflyfish
Pair of Ocellaris Clowns - spawning regularly
Dusky Wrasse
Meleagris Leopard Wrasse Female
Bipartitus Leopard Wrasse Male
Diamond Watchman Goby
Mandarin
Yellow-Tail Damsel
Pair of Green Chromis
Flame Angel
Potters Angel
Pair of Bipartitus Leopard wrasse Females putting on size in the refugium

In various stages of QT:

Achilles Tang - ready for DT, but am reluctant to add it due to Regal spots
Quartet of Bimaculatus Anthias
Swissgard Basslet - probably will go into the frag tank

A lot of fish, even for a 265. ATS has been a wonder at keeping nutrient levels down, because I feed these fish a lot!

I recently removed a Splendid Dottyback because I'd like to get a group of Chalk Bass.

Unread 03/05/2014, 11:16 PM   #93
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

So I have decided to dip my toes into the frag tank pond. Going to start small with a deep blue micro frag 20x20 tank. Will make total system volume about 370 (265 DT, 35 W/C, 20 Frag, 10 RDSB, 40 sump) gallons. Initially will run frag tank with a par38 bulb for lighting and a vortech 10 for flow. Probably will have to upgrade the lighting down the road, but good for now. Do folks keep any kind of maintenance fish in a frag tank I wonder?

Unread 03/06/2014, 07:51 PM   #94
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

I keep a Foxface and a Kole Tang in mine. Maybe a Azure damsel for red bugs or a yellow coris wrasse for AEFW.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2014, 07:28 AM   #95
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
I keep a Foxface and a Kole Tang in mine. Maybe a Azure damsel for red bugs or a yellow coris wrasse for AEFW.
I'm planning on running the frag tank in line with the rest of my main display, so corals will continue to be QT'd in my intro tank so probably not going to have 'bugs'. I'm more concerned about the potential for algae buildup but since it is a small frag tank probably a tang is not an option for me. Maybe I'll put in a blenny,

Unread 03/07/2014, 08:48 AM   #96
Newbie Aquarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I'm planning on running the frag tank in line with the rest of my main display, so corals will continue to be QT'd in my intro tank so probably not going to have 'bugs'. I'm more concerned about the potential for algae buildup but since it is a small frag tank probably a tang is not an option for me. Maybe I'll put in a blenny,

I just saw that the tank was small. Maybe some Mexican red legs or margarita snails or a tailspot blennie.

Unread 03/07/2014, 11:58 AM   #97
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
or a tailspot blennie.
oooh, that's an excellent suggestion ....

Unread 03/13/2014, 10:01 PM   #98
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Frag Tank

Decided to start small and went with the Deep Blue 20x20 rimless. Nice tank, here un-violated

Ground three holes, two for drains (I'll never run a single drain tank ever again) and one for a return ....

.... and then with the actual rack cut and placed into the tank.

I figure to plumb it into the main system this weekend.

Unread 03/13/2014, 10:59 PM   #99
Newbie Aquarist

Frag tank is pimp dude. Good luck adding it to the main system.

Unread 03/14/2014, 03:41 AM   #100
brewman1987
Registered Member

Awesome build

Current Tank Info: 40breeder w/ 20 sump, Tbs package, some clowns from my old tank , inverts and corals
brewman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote