Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/03/2014, 01:05 PM   #1
highergroove
Registered Member

Post Any thoughts on my design for my new 300 gallon?

I attached what I think I want to be the design of my new 300 (96x30x24). I am looking to do starfire glass on the front and right side. Diamond edge, black silicone, eurobrace.

What are your thoughts?

1) This time around I thought I would drill for the circulation loop (4 loclines).
I currently have one drain for the circulation loop but it creates quite a suction, so my new design has two. I am a little worried about leakage from the holes in the back wall - who has experience either way? I know my bottom drilled bulkheads never leaked. I also plan to spray foam the back.

2) I also recently heard about the option of having an overflow built into the back of the tank - which I totally love the idea of - does it work as well? any pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (26.1 KB, 54 views)
highergroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Pife
Registered Member

Great dimensions.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2014, 01:36 PM   #3
dave.m
Registered Member

Why would you need Sea Swirls AND a closed loop? What is the closed loop supposed to accomplish in this arrangement? Why not consider placing the closed loop outlets such that they create a gyre flow within the tank, either side to side of bottom to top?

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2014, 04:33 PM   #4
highergroove
Registered Member

It's just based on what I currently have. I have two pumps running, each an ampmaster 3000gph. One is on the closed loop and one on the sea swirls. I currently have the closed loop for tank circulation and the sea swirls for the wave action. I am definitely open to suggestions. Can you clarify more what you mean about side to side or bottom to top. I think I get it it. If I did bottom to top I would have a bunch of pipes sticking out and if I dod side to side, I lose one of my viewing sides but could do the other?

Unread 07/03/2014, 05:30 PM   #5
dave.m
Registered Member

Start reading.

Dave.M

Unread 07/04/2014, 11:45 AM   #6
highergroove
Registered Member

Thanks! This is exactly why I come here

Unread 07/04/2014, 12:32 PM   #7
highergroove
Registered Member

Ok, I read the article. I think I understand the concept and I think I have been implementing it somewhat anyway. What I didn't mention is that each of the 4 outlets for the circulation loop then split into 2 adjustable loclines each pointed in random directions to create more crossflow. The sea swirls, if anyone doesn't know, rotate left to right slowly to create even more cross currents (I would love it if they moved in sync but they always end up out of sync anyhow).

So, my tank will be viewable from the front and the right side. I am hoping the overflow will be behind the tank (if LeMar makes it that way). I can move part of the circulation loop to the left side wall and direct some across the tank that way (say two of the four). and then keep two on the back wall (one in each corner) with loclines pointed to increase cross current along with sea swirls in the center. Thoughts?

Unread 07/04/2014, 09:55 PM   #8
dave.m
Registered Member

You also want water to circulate up from the bottom, not just across. I was looking but haven't had time to find the issue number, but there was a much more in-depth discussion of gyre flow in a recent issue of Coral magazine. If you aren't already subscribed to this I would suggest you do so, as it is just about the only major aquarium magazine left that's still publishing.

Dave.M

Unread 07/11/2014, 01:49 PM   #9
highergroove
Registered Member

So I have given this agonizing thought...I need to make this work with the following without spending a ton on a complete redesign. How can I modify what I have to make it work?

I already have 2 ampmaster 3000 pumps and even a spare in case one fails (I have one on my pond too). I'd like to keep them both going.

I do not want to drill the bottom of the tank or anywhere other than near the top. I thought that in addition, I will buy one wavemaker pump (thought about Jebao but do not want any electrical in the tank). So, I am thinking maybe a Vortech MP-40 since I believe it is magnetic and I can place it on the left side (nonviewable) and aim it from the bottom left side toward top right. I plan to have 2 islands (one on each side) with some of the back of the rock touching the back of the tank (this is where I can hide circulation loop). This means all the flow will run acorss most of the coral and with the 8 loclines placed in different places, I should get a ton of flow everywhere and also get the wave action.

What do you think? What would you do?