Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2019, 09:30 PM   #1
Weboh
Registered Member

Make a clownfish trap?

Context: I have ocellaris clownfish and a haddoni anemone. In theory, the clownfish should go right for it, since that's what they host in nature. However, they don't. I think the reason for this is, for the first couple of years having the clownfish, I had no anemone or one of a different type (BTA), so they never got used to hosting an anemone. Instead they host both my palys and my hammer coral. The palys don't mind it, but the hammer coral hasn't fully opened ever since the clownfish took to it. Because of all this, I think I need to just take out my current clownfish and put in fresh ones that haven't gotten used to hosting alternatives and haven't established their territory on the side of the tank away from the anemone.

All this to say: What's the best way of removing my current clownfish? I know from experience there's no way I'm catching them with a net--too much rockwork and they have a lot more stamina than me. I once needed to remove a shrimp that I couldn't catch, so I made a trap with a 2 liter soda bottle cut with the top flipped around so there's an easy access in but a not as obvious way out. Would something like this work with the clownfish? I think if I put it on the clownfish's rock they'd keep everyone else away from it. But what really would work the best for a trap for them? What about bait? Thanks.

Weboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2019, 09:53 AM   #2
mnchartier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post
Context: I have ocellaris clownfish and a haddoni anemone. In theory, the clownfish should go right for it, since that's what they host in nature.
Hadonni is not a natural host for ocellaris. Heteractis magnifica, Stichodactyla gigantean and Stichodactyla mertensii are natural hosts. Some will take to a hadonni in our tanks but it is hit or miss. I had a beautify blue haddoni for over a year and my occ's never took for it so I traded it in due to lossing other fish to the haddoni.

Current Tank Info: DD150
mnchartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2019, 10:02 AM   #3
Weboh
Registered Member

Yeah, it looks like you're correct. I don't know how I missed that when I was picking out the anemone. I guess that's another reason to get rid of my current clownfish.

Unread 11/16/2019, 01:09 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Easiest way to catch an ocellaris (or most other anemonefish) is in the middle of the night when they are sound asleep. Best is to use a strong flashlight to shine on the fish you want to catch, but turning all lights on full power should work as well. You will also need 2 suitable sized nets.
In most cases the fish can just be picked up without any chase.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2019, 04:07 PM   #5
Weboh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Easiest way to catch an ocellaris (or most other anemonefish) is in the middle of the night when they are sound asleep. Best is to use a strong flashlight to shine on the fish you want to catch, but turning all lights on full power should work as well. You will also need 2 suitable sized nets.
In most cases the fish can just be picked up without any chase.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thanks! This worked perfectly!

Unread 12/05/2019, 04:36 PM   #6
QuickxSilver
Registered Member

That's a great tip, thanks for sharing

QuickxSilver is offline   Reply With Quote