Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2016, 11:07 AM   #201
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan edge View Post
Reefer 350 sps build... 3×26hds or 2×52hds? +what's up with mounting options
Two Hydra 52HD's should work great. As for mounting, we would recommend using the EXT rail along with the hanging kit. Or, the 48" standard rail kit along with the Parallel Mount Kit.

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2016, 05:43 PM   #202
andrewbram
Registered Member

What would you recommend for a few 150 cube 36x36 it will have plenty of sps

andrewbram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2016, 09:03 PM   #203
GOSKN5
Registered Member

Gonna need two 52s imo

GOSKN5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2016, 10:50 PM   #204
andrewbram
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSKN5 View Post
Gonna need two 52s imo
Are you running the hd how do you like the spread of light

Unread 02/18/2016, 10:35 AM   #205
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbram View Post
What would you recommend for a few 150 cube 36x36 it will have plenty of sps
A 36X36 cube for SPS is actually a little difficult to light as many of the LED's are design for 24" x 24". Depending on how packed the aquarium is, you may be able to get away with two Hydra 52 HD's and having them elevated a little higher. If the tank is pretty packed, then you many need additional fixtures.

One good option would be using two of the 27" 15,000K MaxSpect Razors. Control-wise, the Razor features just a simple two channel controller that allows you to input 6 time set points, so it is not as feature-rich as the Hydra. However, due to it's larger size, it will do a better job covering 36" and the LED chips used, the spectrum and power output is great.

Unread 02/18/2016, 10:37 AM   #206
andrewbram
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
A 36X36 cube for SPS is actually a little difficult to light as many of the LED's are design for 24" x 24". Depending on how packed the aquarium is, you may be able to get away with two Hydra 52 HD's and having them elevated a little higher. If the tank is pretty packed, then you many need additional fixtures.

One good option would be using two of the 27" 15,000K MaxSpect Razors. Control-wise, the Razor features just a simple two channel controller that allows you to input 6 time set points, so it is not as feature-rich as the Hydra. However, due to it's larger size, it will do a better job covering 36" and the LED chips used, the spectrum and power output is great.
That you I will look at those. Also would 4 26 hd provide good coverage and par. I am open to all options as this will be a forever build

Unread 02/18/2016, 11:01 AM   #207
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Four Hydra 26's would be a great option as well. Coverage and par should be excellent. Initial cost is a bit higher using four fixtures, but in the long run it is probably not as significant relative to the overall cost.

Unread 02/18/2016, 08:48 PM   #208
GOSKN5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbram View Post
Are you running the hd how do you like the spread of light
I have two 26hds over a 24x24x30 tank... great spread... you could get away with 3 26s imo

GOSKN5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2016, 12:36 PM   #209
nchin
Registered Member

I am about to setup a 48x30x16 inch tank. How many AI 26's would I need to light this tank? I am probably going to be going for a mixed reef with a focus on zoas and lps with very small amount of sps (if any)

thanks

nchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2016, 12:44 PM   #210
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchin View Post
I am about to setup a 48x30x16 inch tank. How many AI 26's would I need to light this tank? I am probably going to be going for a mixed reef with a focus on zoas and lps with very small amount of sps (if any)

thanks
Assuming the 30" dimension is front to back, it would be tough for a Hydra 26 to cover. You may end up needed 4 Hydra 26's. We would recommend going with two Hydra 52's instead to ensure you can sufficiently provide enough light coverage.

Unread 03/24/2016, 12:07 PM   #211
nchin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
Assuming the 30" dimension is front to back, it would be tough for a Hydra 26 to cover. You may end up needed 4 Hydra 26's. We would recommend going with two Hydra 52's instead to ensure you can sufficiently provide enough light coverage.
yup 30" front to back. Thank you for the response, would you out of curiosity be able to recommend a cheaper alternative to the AI 52?

nchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2016, 12:33 PM   #212
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchin View Post
yup 30" front to back. Thank you for the response, would you out of curiosity be able to recommend a cheaper alternative to the AI 52?
Glad we can help. The MaxSpect Razor 20.5" would be a very good, and cheaper, alternative. However, the Razor does come with a much more simple 2-channel built-in controller.

Unread 04/02/2016, 06:34 AM   #213
JoeBatt
Registered Member

Probably a tough one for you MarineDepot but Hydra 52 vs Radion G3 Pro? Which would you go with? PM me if needs be since I guess its a little sensitive
Thank You

JoeBatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2016, 09:39 AM   #214
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBatt View Post
Probably a tough one for you MarineDepot but Hydra 52 vs Radion G3 Pro? Which would you go with? PM me if needs be since I guess its a little sensitive
Thank You
It's a tough call as both are great lights. If the price is not a factor, we'd go the the Radion Pro as we do like having the two larger pucks over the four smaller pucks. Having that extra yellow spectrum is a bonus as well.

However, the Hydra 52 is $150 cheaper. So, it does give you a more value and can make a significant difference if multiple fixtures are needed.

Unread 04/10/2016, 05:17 PM   #215
MHG
Registered Member

So will a swingle 52 cover a sps dominant 60 gal cube. Right now I am running about 180 watts of Cree xpe's at or around 75% each channel. It gets me about 380 par on my rock work. My canopy is low so I need to build a higher one so aside from how many hydro 52, how high up.

Unread 04/11/2016, 11:07 AM   #216
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
So will a swingle 52 cover a sps dominant 60 gal cube. Right now I am running about 180 watts of Cree xpe's at or around 75% each channel. It gets me about 380 par on my rock work. My canopy is low so I need to build a higher one so aside from how many hydro 52, how high up.
A single Hydra 52 should have no trouble covering a 60 gallon cube. We would recommend having 10"-12" from the bottom of the light fixture to the top of your aquarium.

Unread 04/20/2016, 11:03 AM   #217
JoeBatt
Registered Member

I have just installed 2 Hydra 52 lengthwise along my RedSea 350.

I am looking for the layout option on the web interface so I can try and configure the lights to simulate a sunrise/sunset from one side of the tank to the other. Please see the attached files one is from my screen and it doesn't appear to have the layout option, the second is a screenshot of what I expected it to look like from the manual and it shows the layout option.

Secondly I don't appear to have the weather option.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 16.17.55.jpg (38.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 16.13.33.jpg (23.3 KB, 15 views)
Unread 04/20/2016, 12:35 PM   #218
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Question Hydra FiftyTwo

Quote:
I have just installed 2 Hydra 52 lengthwise along my RedSea 350.

I am looking for the layout option on the web interface so I can try and configure the lights to simulate a sunrise/sunset from one side of the tank to the other. Please see the attached files one is from my screen and it doesn't appear to have the layout option, the second is a screenshot of what I expected it to look like from the manual and it shows the layout option.

Secondly I don't appear to have the weather option.
In the interests of efficiency, we would recommend contacting AI directly for support for this issue.

You can fill out their detailed contact form, reach them by phone at 515-233-5105 or via email at support@aquaillumination.com.

Unread 04/20/2016, 02:40 PM   #219
JoeBatt
Registered Member

I already did thanks but they have not got back to me

Unread 04/20/2016, 03:31 PM   #220
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Question AI Customer Support

Quote:
I already did thanks but they have not got back to me
Well that's not good. How long ago did you contact them? Did you purchase the fixtures from us?

Unread 04/21/2016, 12:21 AM   #221
JoeBatt
Registered Member

5 days ago....I don't live in the US so I cant purchase from you guys Im afraid. I am often in the US with work and tried to get a delivery to my hotel but you couldn't do it.

Unread 04/21/2016, 10:58 AM   #222
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Lightbulb AI Customer Support

Quote:
5 days ago....I don't live in the US so I cant purchase from you guys Im afraid. I am often in the US with work and tried to get a delivery to my hotel but you couldn't do it.
The reason we do not ship to hotels is because the likelihood of fraud is so much higher. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Waiting 5 days for a simple response is too long, in our opinion.

Have you tried the telephone number on their Help Page or gotten in touch with the store you bought the lights from so they can work as an advocate for you to help get your problems resolved?

That is what we would recommend as next steps. While you're waiting in the meantime, you might try asking other AI users on forums you participate in for advice.

Unread 04/22/2016, 09:46 AM   #223
JoeBatt
Registered Member

I did try to buy from Marine Depot but ended up having to go through Amazon (I'm a pilot and the aquarium products are so expensive in the UAE where I am based so buy overseas on trips)

As for the problem I was having, eventually they got back to me and apparently the features of layout, sunrise/sunset, local weather and cloud sweeps are not available on the HD lights! Only on the Director interface.....

I have expressed my displeasure to Aqua Illuminations since I have not seen anywhere on their web literature that these are excluded on the HD lights....in fact everything I have seen points to these features. Since these are the top of the range AI lights in their catalogue I am pretty annoyed. The 'extra' HD par is of far less use than these features to me.

Unread 04/22/2016, 10:00 AM   #224
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Smile Hydra HD

Quote:
I did try to buy from Marine Depot but ended up having to go through Amazon (I'm a pilot and the aquarium products are so expensive in the UAE where I am based so buy overseas on trips)

As for the problem I was having, eventually they got back to me and apparently the features of layout, sunrise/sunset, local weather and cloud sweeps are not available on the HD lights! Only on the Director interface.....

I have expressed my displeasure to Aqua Illuminations since I have not seen anywhere on their web literature that these are excluded on the HD lights....in fact everything I have seen points to these features. Since these are the top of the range AI lights in their catalogue I am pretty annoyed. The 'extra' HD par is of far less use than these features to me.
Now that you mention it, that does sound familiar. I relayed your feedback to our assistant customer support manager so he can share it with our team the next time some inquires just to be safe.

I've observed other other hobbyists sharing screenshots of their light schedules online; perhaps some may be willing to share what settings have working for them if you poke around a bit.

Last edited by MarineDepot; 04/22/2016 at 10:28 AM.
Unread 04/22/2016, 10:51 AM   #225
JoeBatt
Registered Member

Just for your own info MarineDepot the HD lights do not have the following features despite it saying they do on their website........

1) Layout so Sunrise/Sunset movement across the tank is not possible.
2) Local weather
3) Cloud movement across the aquarium.

Tags
ai hydra, aqua illumination, fiftytwo, hydra fiftytwo, marine depot