Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Announcements
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2013, 11:21 AM   #1
fitch4
Registered Member

CT Frag Farmer's Market 3/8/14

Here it is, the 2014 FFM announcement. I have a bunch of the old sellers already signed up and a few new ones have already contacted me to get in on the FFM. As usual, the event will be at the school in Storrs CT and run similarly to previous years. There are usually 40+ vendors ranging from the big name stores and hobbyists to the small scale hobbyist who frags in their systems. The whole idea of the event was to give the little guy (or girl) who frags at home a venue to set-up and make a few $. The event was HUGE last year with over 500 people coming (and that was after a BIG snowstorm the day before). It has grown every year with more sellers and more buyers so I anticipate it getting bigger again.
As usual, there will be a nice raffle which will include gear, frags, gift certificates, and the most popular Frag Farmer's Gift Certificates for use at the market from ANY of the vendors. All of the proceeds from the set-up fees, raffle, and admission (I know $1 is steep!) goes to the school's coral propagation project.

I am also looking to get more of "local" farmers to set-up tanks and sell their stuff. The set-up fee is low and the set-up is very informal to make it so that the little guy, or girl, can set up a tank and sell their corals next to some of the bigger stores. If you are interested, shoot me a PM and I can give you details.

Lastly, if you guys could do me a favor and SPREAD THE WORD. I don't really advertise the event but rather rely on word of mouth to let people know about it. I'll be posting it in most of the local boards in the next few days and getting word out that way, but feel free to post it anywhere you don't see it. RC is awesome for letting me post it here and in the other local forums, but with so many clubs and forums around I am sure I miss some! Just check and make sure the club, or group, is cool with you posting the info first.
I'll post updates with vendor lists and such as we get closer to the date.

Let me know if you have questions-
Jon

fitch4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2013, 08:36 AM   #2
fitch4
Registered Member

Up to 25 "vendors" already!

Unread 12/02/2013, 03:58 PM   #3
phillrodrigo
Registered Member

I will be there this year. Last year was awesome but it was my first time. I wish you guys could get it up twice a year that would be even better. But ill for sure be there and spread the word

phillrodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2013, 06:07 PM   #4
fitch4
Registered Member

I get that a lot. Problem is that I put the whole thing together myself. It is a TON of work. The good news is that we are over 40 "vendors" for the FFM and it will definitely be bigger than last year. It will be worth to trip to Storrs for the day for sure!

Unread 12/09/2013, 07:06 AM   #5
rchrdpnc
Registered Member

is it a swap or buy and sell

rchrdpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2013, 09:16 AM   #6
fitch4
Registered Member

It is a Buy and Sell market. You can certainly bring things to swap with vendors but it is really designed for hobbyists to set-up and sell their homegrown frags in a "show" setting with a much lower investment for both $ and time. The coral selection is OUTRAGEOUS and the prices are pretty amazing.

Unread 12/09/2013, 09:39 PM   #7
pelfiredc
Registered Member

Went last year for the first time, was great!!!!!!! Looking fw to it again!!!!!!

pelfiredc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2013, 01:24 PM   #8
fitch4
Registered Member

Glad to hear you are making the ride out again. It is going to be bigger than last year. I am adding THREE new rooms and they look to all be full with corals!!!!

Unread 12/10/2013, 05:33 PM   #9
LinkinReef
Registered Member

This year was my first one and what I learned from that experience was BRING MORE MONEY! Frags were cheap but I just wanted more and more of them. Can't wait for the next one

Unread 12/11/2013, 12:47 AM   #10
splashcorals
Registered Member

Looking to be apart of your swap would love to be there if you could please contact me ASAP at -513-673-0499 I would truly appreciate it my name is Adam owner of splash corals I have lots of top end corals at a great price also I contribute raffle items and donations every swap I attend please send me an email with swap info and direct link for payment thanks happy REEFING!!!

splashcorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2013, 08:44 PM   #11
phillrodrigo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch4 View Post
I get that a lot. Problem is that I put the whole thing together myself. It is a TON of work. The good news is that we are over 40 "vendors" for the FFM and it will definitely be bigger than last year. It will be worth to trip to Storrs for the day for sure!
Ill help if you do it twice a year. Actually I would help you either way Its a great event. It wouldnt be so bad if there was a decent lfs in new london county.

Unread 12/16/2013, 01:04 PM   #12
fitch4
Registered Member

Thanks for the offer. You are certainly not the first one to suggest that the FFM be a twice a year thing. It is a great event and brings together a TON of the area reefing crowd for a day of reefing. I think part of what makes it work is that it is only once a year. I know a lot of the other area clubs put on shows and conferences to fill in the rest of the "reefing season."

Unread 12/16/2013, 06:12 PM   #13
phinfan8
Registered Member

Can't wait to go broke once again.

phinfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2013, 07:23 PM   #14
phillrodrigo
Registered Member

They do it in march so they get our tax returns. Ill just have it direct deposit into the accounts of the vendors. Lol. Anyone who has never gone do go. I doubt theres a single online vendor or lfs that has as much corals that will be there if its like last year. I shouldnt say this sinve I hate huge crowds but go earlier its less hetic. I was like the 20rh person in line it was nice for awhile then it got bonkers

Unread 12/16/2013, 09:22 PM   #15
BfishLpond78
FUPA

That's why you set up a tank to sell corals!!! You get in before everyone else annnnnd you make some quick cash to go spend elsewhere!!! Im super pumped for this event!

Current Tank Info: 150G Starfire, BK DC 200, Vertex V6, PS Kore 5th, Ecotech Waves, Controlled by Apex, Topped off by Tunze
BfishLpond78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2013, 04:20 AM   #16
fitch4
Registered Member

The FFM will also be spread out into 10 rooms this year but not have a proportional increase in number of sellers (there are already more, but they will be more spread out). It should be more spread out. I know that the one knock has always been how crowded it gets. With that many corals around, can you blame people for coming?

Unread 12/24/2013, 03:15 PM   #17
fitch4
Registered Member

The Frag Farmer's Market just filled up for coral "vendors" at a whopping 50 different people setting up tanks this year. It will be the biggest collection of corals that the FFM has seen yet. I'll put together the list of people setting up and get that out in a bit!

Unread 12/28/2013, 09:30 PM   #18
Magnetized14
Registered Member

This is the first time i've heard of FFM as i'm relatively new to reefing, but it seems pretty awesome. i'm in love with buying and growing coral frags and i'll definitely be there!

Current Tank Info: 30 gal FW; 10 gal brackish; 14 gal BioCube reef; 5.5 gal nano reef in construction...
Magnetized14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2013, 06:06 AM   #19
fitch4
Registered Member

If you are into frags, this is definitely the swap to be at. If you figure that every person brings on average 100 frags (which is a lowball estimate), there should be 5000+ coral frags at the swap. Most of the bigger places bring closer to 200-300 frags so you should be able to find just about anything you are looking for.

Unread 12/29/2013, 05:31 PM   #20
peacetypes6
Registered Member

my buddy and i are coming up from MD cant wait

peacetypes6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2014, 07:34 AM   #21
fitch4
Registered Member

Sweet! Spread the word down your way, bring a few more with you. If it is frags you are looking for, the FFM will do some to fill your needs.

Unread 01/04/2014, 05:25 PM   #22
borderreef
Registered Member

Last year was my first visit. Half of what I bought were full colonies for wicked awsome prices!! I also won the protein skimmer and a gift certificate at the raffle! All told I probably walked out with 30+ corals plus the skimmer (which cost me $10 in raffle tickets). Hoping to make it out again this year.

Current Tank Info: 40b mixed reef with 20g sump. Mg 9.5 return pump running GFO and GAC. Reef Octopus DNW-150 protein skimmer. DIY stand and canopy with 2x 250w MH and 4x 39w vho t5s. Reefkeeper elite controller.
borderreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2014, 06:09 PM   #23
fitch4
Registered Member

Sweet. The raffle is coming together nice again this year with some nice big items. The coral bargains are ALWAYS part of the ffm.

Largest Single Day Coral Show in the U.S.! - 100+ Vendors!

Current Tank Info: 100, 135 reefs and 150g and 800g frag tanks
Unread 01/07/2014, 05:23 PM   #24
fitch4
Registered Member

Okay, I think I have it...FINALLY

Here is the seller list for the FFM!
I apologize now for screwing up someone's name and definitely someone's home state. I might have guessed on one or two...
Happy reading!

Seller State
10sojs - CT
A+A Corals (Formerly- Anthony27) NYC
Aquadreams MA
Aquatic X-celelnce NJ
aznnutty's saltwater connections OH
Bigcapct CT
Capcept/BfishLpond78/FRivera CT
CDMAS Sponsor NY
Chriskid CT
Colorful corals NY
CullyisGully LI
Dankacedium MD
Designer Corals CT
Dvetran CT
E.O. Smith Coral Project CT
Emessier CT
Exotic Fish and Corals CT
Exotic Reef Creations MD
Fins Aquarium NY
Frank180Reef MA
Gotham Aquatics NYC
Greg Hiller BRS
Hammer NH
ijamcorals MD
Jason Foxx MD
jgraz NJ
knockOUT Aquatics LLC PA
Kwong1998 NYC
Love the Reef BRS
Mass Reef Care MA
Matt Spaulding VT
MetroKat NY
MO~Idol (Steve) NYC
MrsDubs NYC
Pablo NYC
Pacific East Aquaculture MD
Phil Quindara NY
R+R Aquatics NYC
Reef Creations NYC
Sassawrasse CT
Shayna 123 CT
Shector/Bubbabobobbrain CT
Smiz NY
Suicideissleep CT
The Coral Reef CT
Tinygiant (Chris) NH
Upstate Corals NY
UsefulIdiot CT
Vermont Aquatics VT
xclusive corals NJ
Zooanthids.com UT
Zybergoby NY

Unread 01/07/2014, 08:19 PM   #25
jgraz
Registered Member

Thats a big list. This is gonna be some kind of day.

Lots of familar names there.
I hear that Jgraz guy has some really nice stuff

jgraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffm, frag, sale, swap