Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2016, 05:10 PM   #1
cali9dub
Registered Member

Cerebra owners. Where you at??

I'm still waiting on my Cerebra to deliver and was wondering if any Cerebra owners are out there with some first hand experience. Once I get mine I'll be happy to compare and contrast to the apex I've had for the past 7 years. Love to see the differences and similarities !!

cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 05:29 PM   #2
jason2459
Registered Member

Nicely done.

Looking forward to mounting options. Please post pics.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 05:29 PM   #3
The_Coleman
Registered Member

I am impatiently waiting for mine to arrive as well and would love to get more opinions from owners, as well as bounce questions off of them.

The_Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 05:35 PM   #4
cali9dub
Registered Member

I'm stuck in that second shipment group and it sucks! I guess they will be going out Friday or Monday from AS....from what I've read in their forum.

Unread 08/03/2016, 05:46 PM   #5
jason2459
Registered Member

Looks like BRS got a shipment in the other day so I would be surprised if AS hasn't gotten it today or by tomorrow.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 08/03/2016, 05:56 PM   #6
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Looks like BRS got a shipment in the other day so I would be surprised if AS hasn't gotten it today or by tomorrow.
Well AS shipped me a powerbar outta the blue with no notice. So anything is possible !!

Unread 08/03/2016, 09:17 PM   #7
Revilo
Registered Member

I have the Cerebra and I can honestly say it has worked out better than I expected. I currently have it running everything from lights to dosing pumps. I have not run into any issues since initial programming. Honestly, it is astill simple as when I had an RKE but as advanced as my old Apex classic. I am glad I pulled the trigger.

Also, the private owners forum is excellent. The Customer service reps respond quickly and value the input of everyone that contribute to the testing of the controller. This maybe a beta tested product but my unit as been working better than my old apex.

I have mine mounted under my stand, to the left stand wall using a "L" brace from Lowes.

Revilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 09:22 PM   #8
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revilo View Post
I have the Cerebra and I can honestly say it has worked out better than I expected. I currently have it running everything from lights to dosing pumps. I have not run into any issues since initial programming. Honestly, it is astill simple as when I had an RKE but as advanced as my old Apex classic. I am glad I pulled the trigger.

Also, the private owners forum is excellent. The Customer service reps respond quickly and value the input of everyone that contribute to the testing of the controller. This maybe a beta tested product but my unit as been working better than my old apex.

I have mine mounted under my stand, to the left stand wall using a "L" brace from Lowes.
Awesome! Thanks for the info !!

Unread 08/03/2016, 09:46 PM   #9
The_Coleman
Registered Member

Great feedback Revilo, instills confidence for when I get mine.

I noticed BRS still has the beta price listed, but you cannot pre-order anymore. They also added lots of accessories as well. All listed as out of stock, but I will be following that closely. I hope they did get their shipment, it would mean mine could be along soon!

Unread 08/03/2016, 09:53 PM   #10
sleepydoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revilo View Post

Would you mind posting pics?

I'm considering a controller, and the Vertex interface seems nice, but to be honest, the big box they chose to house the controller is a big turn off for me.

Do you have any sort of remote display? That would be the other option, but from the descriptions I've seen it seems rather cumbersome to set up, but that could be because I don't know how it's done.

Unread 08/03/2016, 10:05 PM   #11
Defiant Arms
Registered Member

mine was ordered from BRS last week I'm in afghanistan but my tank will be set up next month.. also looking for a wifi webcam i can put either in the tank or right outside the glass anyone have a suggestion?

Defiant Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 10:54 PM   #12
mallard
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post
Would you mind posting pics?

I'm considering a controller, and the Vertex interface seems nice, but to be honest, the big box they chose to house the controller is a big turn off for me.

Do you have any sort of remote display? That would be the other option, but from the descriptions I've seen it seems rather cumbersome to set up, but that could be because I don't know how it's done.
Right now you can use VNC to view/control the device remotely. But this can only work on the same network that the controller is on. However, the cloud-based version is what you'll end up wanting to use.

As for the size of the display, this is definitely a legit concern. With that said, there have been users on the private forum setting the display on a table or somewhere close to the tank. If you are very tight on space, I'd get a long USB cable to place it on a table somewhere. Others have mounted it directly to the wall. You could do this and get a cable raceway/channel to hide the cable.

mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 11:23 PM   #13
NATCAP_Reefer
Registered Member

Ordered (2 ) under the Beta pricing . I hope the CS will continue their new level of support. Power bars are quite expensive. IMHO

NATCAP_Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2016, 06:54 AM   #14
DarkSkyForever
Registered Member

Quote:
I was just there yesterday to pick up another order, they do not have them in yet. The guy at the front desk said they expect them near the end of August, the units are in the US but have to go through customs and that can take some time. He also said they'll allow you to purchase the accessories when they get them in instead of preordering.

I also have one preordered.

DarkSkyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2016, 10:01 AM   #15
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSkyForever View Post
I was just there yesterday to pick up another order, they do not have them in yet. The guy at the front desk said they expect them near the end of August, the units are in the US but have to go through customs and that can take some time. He also said they'll allow you to purchase the accessories when they get them in instead of preordering.

I was pretty sure I had an email they said they were in stock and that the order button on the website was active. Maybe not? Maybe he's talking about their second shipment isn't in. I'm also pretty sure one of their reps said they sold many (around 90?) the first day they announced it available.

Unread 08/04/2016, 11:13 AM   #16
The_Coleman
Registered Member

Quote:
I was pretty sure I had an email they said they were in stock and that the order button on the website was active. Maybe not? Maybe he's talking about their second shipment isn't in. I'm also pretty sure one of their reps said they sold many (around 90?) the first day they announced it available.
Are you guys talking about BRS or AS?

I don't think BRS has them in stock. My understanding is that Ryan wanted to reveiw it when he was back from paternity leave and approve it before they allowed it to be pre-ordered. When I put my order in with BRS last Friday, I was chatting with them and they said their delivery was 1-2 weeks out and that they would turn them all around in one day when they were received. They just added the accessories in the last few days.

I have no idea the status from AS.

Unread 08/04/2016, 11:16 AM   #17
sleepydoc
Registered Member

It's very encouraging to see all the positive posts about the customer service from Vertex with the Cerebra. It's kind of what you would expect from a launch such as this, but there are still plenty of companies that manage to mess it up. For a long term investment such as this, the ongoing service is really important, IMO, and I'm willing to spend more for a product whose company stands behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATCAP_Reefer View Post
Ordered (2 ) under the Beta pricing . I hope the CS will continue their new level of support. Power bars are quite expensive. IMHO
Yeah - all the controller bars are over priced, if you ask me. For comparison:
Apex EB4 $119 (= $30/outlet)
Apex EB8 $159 (= $20/outlet)
Apex EB832 $249 (= $31/outlet)
Cerebra Multibar(6) $299 ($239) (= $50($40)/outlet)
Cerebra Powerbar(6) $179 ($149) (= $30($25)/outlet)
GHL 5.1 $219 (= $44/outlet)
GHL 6D $249 (= $42/outlet)
Reef keeper PB4 $99 (= $25/outlet)
Reef keeper Expansion socket (2) $49 (=$25/outlet)
If you compare the price per outlet, the Cerebra is on the expensive side, but still cheaper than the GHL. It's not really an apples to apples comparison, as the Cerebra, Apex EB832 and (I Believe) the GHL have power monitoring circuitry incorporated as well, so they are not the same as say the EB8 or reef keeper outlets. The Multibar and EB832 also have circuitry for other sensors built in, so you are paying for more than just an outlet with those, too.

Comparing with the Apex, which is likely their main competition, they are somewhat more expensive, but in terms of the cost of the whole system the one time cost of the power bar doesn't end up being a major issue. A bigger concern would be If you have 7 or 8 devices to plug in and need to purchase 2 bars with Vertex vs just one with an Apex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSkyForever View Post

From BRS' announcement, I took it to mean that they got a limited number in stock, sold them and now are waiting for more.

Unread 08/04/2016, 11:17 AM   #18
mallard
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Coleman View Post

I don't think BRS has them in stock. My understanding is that Ryan wanted to reveiw it when he was back from paternity leave and approve it before they allowed it to be pre-ordered. When I put my order in with BRS last Friday, I was chatting with them and they said their delivery was 1-2 weeks out and that they would turn them all around in one day when they were received. They just added the accessories in the last few days.

The team didn't want to release the pre-order without Ryan's stamp of approval while he was out. He's back and has introduced himself in the beta forums.

mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2016, 11:24 AM   #19
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Coleman View Post

BRS back on Aug. 2nd and in the other, more argumentative, cerebra thread a BRS rep, ryan?, posted how many they sold first day listing. But looking back at the email it does say Pre-Order less then 20 left which I guess made me think the less then 20 left was they had them in stock but I guess not.

Last edited by jason2459; 08/04/2016 at 11:48 AM.
Unread 08/04/2016, 11:26 AM   #20
The_Coleman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
The team didn't want to release the pre-order without Ryan's stamp of approval while he was out. He's back and has introduced himself in the beta forums.
That was my understanding as well. He briefly came into the other thread on RC, but ducked out just as fast for reasons anyone in that thread will understand. Hopefully he comes in here from time to time.

Quote:
BRS back on Aug. 2nd and in the other, more argumentative, cerebra thread a BRS rep, ryan?, posted how many they sold first day listing. But looking back at the email it does say Pre-Order less then 20 left which I guess made me thing the less then 20 left was they had them in stock but I guess not?
I took it to mean they had 20 left in their pre-order allotment that was being shipped to them. I could be wrong, but I ordered mine the day they opened it up and it came as a pre-order and will ship when received.

Unread 08/04/2016, 11:47 AM   #21
DarkSkyForever
Registered Member

Quote:
They are just taking preorders for the amount they're receiving. If you order one now it will stay in pending. Otherwise I would have gotten mine yesterday.

DarkSkyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2016, 12:02 PM   #22
mattsreefadise
Registered Member

Wanted to go ahead and voice my opinion.
Had my Cerebra for about 3 weeks now.
Pretty sketchy service from Aquarium Specialty, they mixed up my order and sent my probes to someone else, and I had to wait till the next shipment came in before I got everything I ordered. No biggy there.

As far as the Cerebra? Very easy set-up and mounting options. There are just a few channels in the back that you install the brackets, and then you just slide the whole thing over some screws in a wall.
Software was very stable as far as controlling heater, lights, and skimmer. Being able to adjust the icon and screen is wonderful, and it's really nice to be able to just glance at the tank and see all it's parameters. I really hate this whole "open my phone to see tank parameters" phrase the hobby is going thru.
Getting thru the menu's was kind of glitchy at first, but in the few weeks I've had it, I have seen it very drastically improve, and now it's no slower than my phone.

The forum has been great. One person recommends something, others agree, and we end up seeing the change on the next FW update- you literally cannot get there anywhere else. This is something really cool to be a part of.

Lots of transparency from Vertex. They've explained every problem, and the admins want you to call them if there is a problem, and they'll try to reduplicate it and fix the problem for everyone.

The probes are pretty spot on, and the float switches are well built.
I wish they had some better mounting options, but that will come in time I'm sure.

A few cons? I came from a Reef Angel and an Apex. With those, it was easy to get some really advanced features with just a little bit of Pseduo-code.
With having to write a whole new app for some advanced features that don't come with the Cerebra, it leaves alot of us behind. It's easy to write If statements, not so easy to write a whole App.
And that means, unless you know how to write an app, you're stuck on someone writing you an app, or just using something that comes standard.

There's something cool that doesn't get talked about alot..
the Virtual Switches are awesome. I have one to turn my lights on at night if I want, one to turn my powerheads off, and one to turn a pump on for water changes. and the labels are right there on the Cerebra. No more digging for my phone.

Overall impression is this thing is money well spent, and I'm excited for everything that is coming out.

I plugged up a speaker to my Cerebra, and sometimes I watch Stephan Colbert from my controller, just for the novelty!!

Unread 08/04/2016, 12:09 PM   #23
scuzy
Registered Member

mine still sitting in the box. I have the the cerebra package, 3x power bar, 2 x dual junction ph probe, 1 x redox , 1 dual float, 1x optical, 1x salinity probe, and i am still missing my extra multi bar. will need ot find time to install these and transition from my apex package.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2016, 12:12 PM   #24
NATCAP_Reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsreefadise View Post
Wanted to go ahead and voice my opinion.
Had my Cerebra for about 3 weeks now.
Pretty sketchy service from Aquarium Specialty, they mixed up my order and sent my probes to someone else, and I had to wait till the next shipment came in before I got everything I ordered. No biggy there.

As far as the Cerebra? Very easy set-up and mounting options. There are just a few channels in the back that you install the brackets, and then you just slide the whole thing over some screws in a wall.
Software was very stable as far as controlling heater, lights, and skimmer. Being able to adjust the icon and screen is wonderful, and it's really nice to be able to just glance at the tank and see all it's parameters. I really hate this whole "open my phone to see tank parameters" phrase the hobby is going thru.
Getting thru the menu's was kind of glitchy at first, but in the few weeks I've had it, I have seen it very drastically improve, and now it's no slower than my phone.

The forum has been great. One person recommends something, others agree, and we end up seeing the change on the next FW update- you literally cannot get there anywhere else. This is something really cool to be a part of.

Lots of transparency from Vertex. They've explained every problem, and the admins want you to call them if there is a problem, and they'll try to reduplicate it and fix the problem for everyone.

The probes are pretty spot on, and the float switches are well built.
I wish they had some better mounting options, but that will come in time I'm sure.

A few cons? I came from a Reef Angel and an Apex. With those, it was easy to get some really advanced features with just a little bit of Pseduo-code.
With having to write a whole new app for some advanced features that don't come with the Cerebra, it leaves alot of us behind. It's easy to write If statements, not so easy to write a whole App.
And that means, unless you know how to write an app, you're stuck on someone writing you an app, or just using something that comes standard.

There's something cool that doesn't get talked about alot..
the Virtual Switches are awesome. I have one to turn my lights on at night if I want, one to turn my powerheads off, and one to turn a pump on for water changes. and the labels are right there on the Cerebra. No more digging for my phone.

Overall impression is this thing is money well spent, and I'm excited for everything that is coming out.

I plugged up a speaker to my Cerebra, and sometimes I watch Stephan Colbert from my controller, just for the novelty!!
Thanks for the end user input. Hey for the intro price how can you go wrong ? I'm a geek and love new toys.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

NATCAP_Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2016, 12:13 PM   #25
scuzy
Registered Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote