Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2018, 09:23 AM   #2376
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
I love “eye sore” refugiums! Here’s my 120g eye sore loaded with mud, rocks and various macro but primarily the evil grape caulerpa. My fuge is so efficient that I no longer use a skimmer!
Yeah, so cool. On a whole other level.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 05:29 PM   #2377
tenpercenter
Premium Member

Dennis - trying to decide between (6) xr15s and (3) xr30s (both PRO). Tank depth in my case is 30" (front to back) with the 15s I'd be able to spread them apart further (couple inches) but would avoid the fans constantly running.

Would you go with the 30s if you were to do this again?

tenpercenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 05:56 PM   #2378
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercenter View Post
Dennis - trying to decide between (6) xr15s and (3) xr30s (both PRO). Tank depth in my case is 30" (front to back) with the 15s I'd be able to spread them apart further (couple inches) but would avoid the fans constantly running.

Would you go with the 30s if you were to do this again?
Yes I would. I never liked the look of the 15's on a large tank.
Plus you'd have double the cords/plugs.
And FWIW, I can't hear my fans running.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 02/23/2018, 06:01 PM   #2379
tenpercenter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Yes I would. I never liked the look of the 15's on a large tank.
Plus you'd have double the cords/plugs.
And FWIW, I can't hear my fans running.
Thanks! Took three evenings to make it through this build. It's awesome

tenpercenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 09:09 AM   #2380
d2mini
Registered Member

Ok guys, need some help!

Had a couple things going on with the tank lately and it's having an affect on my sps.

First, my ph was going down below 7.6 in the mornings. Got that taken care of by making adjustments to my calcium reactor by changing the feed pump and co2 settings. But while this was happening, my Alk was bouncing around. Not a whole lot but it went down as low as 6.5 and up as high as high 8's. I normally keep it around 8.0.

Second, as I was getting the reactor pretty much dialed in, I added the Radion diffusers.
My lux meter didn't record much drop in light, just a few % but Ecotech says they record PAR drops of around 20%. So considering that, I should have been upping my overall brightness, but I only upped it about 5% and then forgot about it.

So thats the two things that have changed/been happening lately.
My Alk is now a steady 7.3 for a week.
BUT... this past week (or two) I've been having problems.
My SPS are losing color intensity or browning out. My Milli's have turned brown, my Paletta Pink Tip lost it's pink... almost white, but still have the green. Some other greens dulled out. Blues dulled out. Purple Bonsai has dulled. My ORA Joe the Coral has STN's to almost nothing. I lost two frags, RTN's overnight. All sps and zoas seem just dandy.

So first I was thinking alk instability... but it wasn't THAT bad. It's not like it shot up to 11. And the changes weren't overnight, they were over a few days.
Then I remembered about the light. Could the decrease in light have caused any of this?

Parameters are all stable and in line.
pH now ranges from 7.76 to 8.0.
Alk 7.6
Calc - haven't checked in awhile but was around 430
Mag - 1400 last i checked
Salinity - 1.0256
Nitrate - 2-3ppm
P04 - haven't checked in a while, but was .04

I'll try to update some of the above parameters later today.
But any thoughts on what's going on?

Last edited by d2mini; 03/08/2018 at 09:15 AM.
Unread 03/08/2018, 09:25 AM   #2381
SPotter
Registered Member

sorry to hear about this Dennis. I am leaning towards the fluctuation in alk as the culprit here. I think the lower par because of the diffusers probably helped you a little because with the drop in alk and higher intensity you probably would have burned more corals. I would double check the no3 and po4 numbers and see where they are. I would also suggest sending water to ATI or Triton. I like ATI better because they test your rodi water as well. A local guy was having an issue in his tank with dino's and the ATI results showed extremely high levels of Silicon and Phosphorous.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 09:46 AM   #2382
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
sorry to hear about this Dennis. I am leaning towards the fluctuation in alk as the culprit here. I think the lower par because of the diffusers probably helped you a little because with the drop in alk and higher intensity you probably would have burned more corals. I would double check the no3 and po4 numbers and see where they are. I would also suggest sending water to ATI or Triton. I like ATI better because they test your rodi water as well. A local guy was having an issue in his tank with dino's and the ATI results showed extremely high levels of Silicon and Phosphorous.
Thanks, Steve.
Are you saying the sps are burned, or you think they WOULD have been burned by the higher light?

Mostly its a browning/loss of color issue, with the exception of the two frags that RTN'd and the one small colony that is stn'ing... which by the way I can almost see the flesh flaking off.

N03 was tested last night but i'll update my p04.
I did have a Triton test done before I started messing with the reactor and everything was kosher. Maybe I should try an ATI. Waiting almost two weeks for Triton test results is frustrating. But I like how they give you a solution/dosing regimen to correcting any issues.

Unread 03/08/2018, 09:49 AM   #2383
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, Steve.
Are you saying the sps are burned, or you think they WOULD have been burned by the higher light?

Mostly its a browning/loss of color issue, with the exception of the two frags that RTN'd and the one small colony that is stn'ing... which by the way I can almost see the flesh flaking off.

N03 was tested last night but i'll update my p04.
I did have a Triton test done before I started messing with the reactor and everything was kosher. Maybe I should try an ATI. Waiting almost two weeks for Triton test results is frustrating. But I like how they give you a solution/dosing regimen to correcting any issues.
sorry my response wasn't too clear...doing 5 things at once lol. I think they would have burned had you increased the intensity when you put the diffusers on because you alk dropped. I think the issues are because of the low alk numbers. My alk recently dropped because of issues I was having with my ca reactor. I lost a couple of pieces to rtn/stn and colors got really dull. its taken a few weeks but everything has gone back to how it was prior to the alk drop.

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 03/08/2018, 09:51 AM   #2384
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
sorry my response wasn't too clear...doing 5 things at once lol. I think they would have burned had you increased the intensity when you put the diffusers on because you alk dropped. I think the issues are because of the low alk numbers. My alk recently dropped because of issues I was having with my ca reactor. I lost a couple of pieces to rtn/stn and colors got really dull. its taken a few weeks but everything has gone back to how it was prior to the alk drop.
Ok, great. Thanks for the clarification.
Hopefully things turn around now that my alk is stable!

Unread 03/08/2018, 09:52 AM   #2385
SPotter
Registered Member

oh...ATI gives you dosing suggestions like triton. I like ATI better because they test rodi, alk and nitrates. They take about the same time as triton does. I recently sent off water samples to both of them at the same time to check for accuracy and consistency and everything was spot on between the two results.

Unread 03/08/2018, 10:39 AM   #2386
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
oh...ATI gives you dosing suggestions like triton. I like ATI better because they test rodi, alk and nitrates. They take about the same time as triton does. I recently sent off water samples to both of them at the same time to check for accuracy and consistency and everything was spot on between the two results.
Good to know, thanks!

Unread 03/08/2018, 11:31 AM   #2387
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Finally got around to installing a booster pump on my Spectrapure RO/DI w/Auto Flush.
Got it from SpectraPure during black friday.
Pressure jumped from about 35-40 psi to 92 psi.

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you have a prefilter for your booster pump, or do you have it hooked in after the the first canister of the spectrapure unit?

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 08:55 AM   #2388
d2mini
Registered Member

So it apparently my GHL conductivity calibration fluid was old/bad.
I calibrated my Red Sea Pro refractometer last night and then tested the tank water and it measured at 1.029.

Recalibrated the probe with the same pinpoint fluid I used for the refractometer and it was now reading the water as over 1.028, rather than the 1.0256 it was before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQuinn View Post
I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you have a prefilter for your booster pump, or do you have it hooked in after the the first canister of the spectrapure unit?
No prefilter. It's hooked up as instructed by Spectrapure.

Unread 03/09/2018, 09:04 AM   #2389
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Ouch

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 09:41 AM   #2390
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Some times technology has a tendency to "Bite Us In The "
At least you did catch it sooner than much later.

Unread 03/09/2018, 10:36 AM   #2391
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Ouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Some times technology has a tendency to "Bite Us In The "
At least you did catch it sooner than much later.
Yup. Not sure how much of an effect this had but I'm sure it didn't help matters.
Since I have the AWC system going all day long, I turned off the saltwater replacement and it's filling with just ATO water each time, to slowly bring levels back down over a few days.

Unread 03/09/2018, 12:51 PM   #2392
swk
Registered Member

Hey Donald. What bar did you end up with? The B&R or bare steel OPB? I went with a rogue rack myself and do not regret the extra cost one bit. Extremely well built and has a million available add ons. Hard to beat.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 01:20 PM   #2393
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
Hey Donald. What bar did you end up with? The B&R or bare steel OPB? I went with a rogue rack myself and do not regret the extra cost one bit. Extremely well built and has a million available add ons. Hard to beat.
Who's Donald?

I went with the bare steel B&R. Like it a lot. Knurl is grippy but not too bad on the hands.

Unread 03/09/2018, 01:24 PM   #2394
swk
Registered Member

Quote:
Who's Donald?

I went with the bare steel B&R. Like it a lot. Knurl is grippy but not too bad on the hands.

I’m sorry. I got you confused with another past HFB member....

I have a B&R and love it for squats and pushes. I do pulls and front squats with a bare centered Ohio bar. The patina I’m getting on the B&R is awesome. A great piece of equipment. As far as I’m concerned, having 2 bars is well worth the extra expense. Makes getting through lengthy full body lift days much more efficient imo. Lovely space!

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
Unread 03/09/2018, 01:34 PM   #2395
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
I’m sorry. I got you confused with another past HFB member....

I have a B&R and love it for squats and pushes. I do pulls and front squats with a bare centered Ohio bar. The patina I’m getting on the B&R is awesome. A great piece of equipment. As far as I’m concerned, having 2 bars is well worth the extra expense. Makes getting through lengthy full body lift days much more efficient imo. Lovely space!
hahaha, no worries

Yeah, I'll eventually had another bar with no center knurl. So far, at my newbie weights, I don't have any issues with deadlifts and i'm only doing low bar squats right now, no front. But I would like to not have to drag this bar in and out of the rack all the time! lol

Unread 03/09/2018, 01:35 PM   #2396
swk
Registered Member

Quote:
hahaha, no worries

Yeah, I'll eventually had another bar with no center knurl. So far, at my newbie weights, I don't have any issues with deadlifts and i'm only doing low bar squats right now, no front. But I would like to not have to drag this bar in and out of the rack all the time! lol

Are you running a starting strength linear progression right now?

Unread 03/09/2018, 02:49 PM   #2397
Joe Kelley
Registered Member

Dennis, I've had a similar event. Put diffusers on G3 xr30 pro last week, switched 120 deg for 80 put back in service at some 80% and had STN on 2 pocillopora. Checked parameters and they were off, big water change and adjusted. Borrowed a PAR meter and upper levels were really high, 800ish. Lowered intensity to 50% and highest par is 450s upper and low 130 lower tank, IME the diffusers spread out the light pretty good but intensity is there, many hot spots too. 9" off surface.
Hope you get numbers dialed in,

Joe

Unread 03/09/2018, 09:10 PM   #2398
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Are you running a starting strength linear progression right now?
I’m following Bigger Leaner Stronger. It’s a year program. It’s similar though.
I have the Starting Strength book for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
Dennis, I've had a similar event. Put diffusers on G3 xr30 pro last week, switched 120 deg for 80 put back in service at some 80% and had STN on 2 pocillopora. Checked parameters and they were off, big water change and adjusted. Borrowed a PAR meter and upper levels were really high, 800ish. Lowered intensity to 50% and highest par is 450s upper and low 130 lower tank, IME the diffusers spread out the light pretty good but intensity is there, many hot spots too. 9" off surface.
Hope you get numbers dialed in,

Joe
Why go back to the 80’s, especially that close to the water?
The g4’s already have a wide spread of light and i’m 17” off the water. No hot spots.

Unread 03/10/2018, 01:14 PM   #2399
seldon
Registered Member

Quote:
I like using Aqua Medic's testing. They also give recommendations and I typically get results back in about a week.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon display with a diy 40 BR sump
seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 01:27 PM   #2400
Bpb
Registered Member

How do you like Bigger Leaner Stronger? I did stronglifts until I plateaued and then switched to mad cow for the last 6 months and every time I hit a brick wall at week 9 (deloaded twice. Same result). Thinking about trying something different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote