Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/11/2017, 03:47 PM   #1
AwwNuts
Registered Member

Galaxy Hydro Plant LED-How to Dimmer Install

I need some help here, I'm no electrician but capable of tackling most task with good guidance.

Is it possible to install a dimmer on this Galaxyhydro Plant LED. So far it's a great light over my refugium but the brightness is way too high for my enjoyment.

Initially I thought this light unit only had one ballast like other black boxes. Once I open the unit well I'm faced with the following (see pic below).

-Is it possible?
-Easiest cleanest way?

I do have some dimmer controllers and also the standard dimmers off the black box. I want to do this the right and safe way.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (48.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (43.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (67.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (42.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (51.0 KB, 22 views)

Current Tank Info: 125 gal Mixed Reef & 100 Gal Reef setup
AwwNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Gorgok
Registered Member

Could you get pictures of the labels of the driver bricks. I suspect they are set current and can't be dimmed in any good fashion though, but wouldn't hurt to confirm.

But replacing the drivers with something that can dim, or just runs at a lower current, should work.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2017, 05:09 PM   #3
AwwNuts
Registered Member

I suspect the same thing with the drivers not being capable to dim. The unit claims 300 watts, would a standard black box driver be usable here? I'll open the fixture to take a clear picture of the driver label.

Unread 08/13/2017, 12:51 AM   #4
Gorgok
Registered Member

What driver might work depends on the configuration of the leds. It looks like there are 3 similar sets of leds and 3 drivers and then another driver (probably at a discount for buying from the same manufacturer) just for the fans. Not that fans need a driver, just voltage supply...

With 100 leds that is roughly 33 leds a driver or ~100v drivers. Maybe a 90-120v driver. And since the fan driver was 1 amp, i will assume the leds are as well (plus it makes the unit powerful if not exactly have a long life). That is assuming these aren't in parallel at all. Wouldn't expect it to be, but you never know.

Unread 08/13/2017, 05:03 PM   #5
el chupacabra
Registered Member

Im kind of curious why a light like this wouldnt work over our reef tanks. The graphs show it delivers good par (for photosynthesis etc).

Ps sorry for the sorta off topic question

el chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 10:12 PM   #6
Gorgok
Registered Member

It might work, but it will be entirely pink. Not sure how enjoyable that would be.

Also, even if it weren't so overwhelmingly pink, its color rendition is probably really bad. Yellows and greens probably just look black.

Unread 08/21/2017, 04:43 PM   #7
AwwNuts
Registered Member

Well for refugium purpose this light works amazingly. I gifted almost all my caulerpa taxifolia to a friend who was in need of an instant fuge. I decided to test a light for growth, with a few strands left in the refugium section, this light grew a big chunk within a weeks worth of use. Light fixture ran from 9:30 pm to 8 am. Besides the issue of it being too bright for indoor use, i don't have any other complaints as it does a great job, I just wish the brightness could be adjusted. I know this would defeat its purpose but still. My fix to this is run a Innovative Marine Gadget Magnafuge light during the time frame we are still awake and then have the magnafuge switch with Galaxy Hydro light fixture for a short time then back again to the magnafuge light.

Unread 09/17/2017, 11:46 AM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

It just might be easier to get a bigger refugium! Say, in the 300g size???

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote