Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2017, 06:44 AM   #1
Horace
Registered Member

What did this guy do on this stand?

Hey guys,

I am an aspiring wood worker, and I saw this pic of a DIY stand. I cant for the life of me figure out (the low res doesnt help) what he did to make the outside corners look like that! I cant tell if its a molding, if he routed it, or if its some kind of bevel etc. Either way, I like it and am considering doing it on mine.

So if you know what he did, explain plz

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 07:04 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Looks like corner molding. Simple to do.

Frame, skin with plywood, trim to your hearts desire.

Here is my build thread, not quite as fancy as the one you pictured. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ghlight=canopy

Last edited by RobZilla04; 08/17/2017 at 07:06 AM. Reason: link
RobZilla04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 07:11 AM   #3
davocean
Registered Member

Yeah, corner moulding, makes super easy, no need to miter as it hides end grain, looks nice.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 07:53 AM   #4
Horace
Registered Member

That looks like more than a standard corner cap/molding to me. it looks like it has 3 "ridges", but perhaps its just the perspective?

Unread 08/17/2017, 08:46 AM   #5
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

There's aaaaaallllll kinds of shapes of corner molding out there. May have to go to a real supplier vs a big box store.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 09:05 AM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Simple if what you want can be bought; not so simple if you have to make it. I often make my own moulding on my router table, but you have to have the right tools.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 10:52 AM   #7
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Simple if what you want can be bought; not so simple if you have to make it. I often make my own moulding on my router table, but you have to have the right tools.
yeah I don't have a router table...just a hand held, but I may have to make a purchase

Unread 08/17/2017, 03:40 PM   #8
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
There's aaaaaallllll kinds of shapes of corner molding out there. May have to go to a real supplier vs a big box store.

Yeppers

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Horace
Registered Member

AH HA! I wonder if that is something like this:

Or This (both available at Homedepot

Unread 08/18/2017, 02:14 PM   #10
Timfish
Registered Member

I don't see shadow lines I would expect if it was molding attached to the corners. It looks to me it's a stepped "rabbit" cut into the "rails" of the cabinetry.

Unread 08/19/2017, 03:18 PM   #11
davocean
Registered Member

HD sells that very corner moulding as well as others, and if you go to moulding supply shop there are so many options, of all mouldings, and usually much much cheaper than HD

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 08/19/2017, 07:13 PM   #12
Horace
Registered Member

Instead of that, I think I'm going to go with this...much nicer, but more $$$$ look.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Unread 08/19/2017, 07:59 PM   #13
davocean
Registered Member

Plynthe blocks and fluted columns, that would be a much nicer choice IMO and still makes easy.
I like the recessed panel sides too, nice detail touch.

Unread 08/20/2017, 07:31 AM   #14
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Plynthe blocks and fluted columns, that would be a much nicer choice IMO and still makes easy.
I like the recessed panel sides too, nice detail touch.
Agree. I would have doors where that recessed panel is though. This is a peninsula tank, where mine is not, but basically it's a look I am going for

Unread 08/23/2017, 05:10 PM   #15
miroch
Registered Member

Here is a cross section of crown moulding. This is how I plan on doing my current build.

Current Tank Info: 72g Bow/20g sump - 75lbs Rock - 1" SB - RO NWB150 skimmer - Vinegar Dosing - Custom 54Wx4 T5 - Hippo Tang, Yellow Tang, 3 Chromis, Bi-color angel, YWG, Melanurus Wrasse, few softies
miroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 09:18 PM   #16
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I prefer a more basic stand. I want folks to admire the tank, not the stand.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 08/23/2017, 09:33 PM   #17
ph_
Registered Member

I didn't like how the rails and stiles were done in the pictured tank. The vertical members are the stiles, and to me it looks funny. I see 5 stiles when I think it will look better with only 3. The middle ones being doubled up like that doesn't look good.

ph_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 05:41 AM   #18
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph_ View Post
I didn't like how the rails and stiles were done in the pictured tank. The vertical members are the stiles, and to me it looks funny. I see 5 stiles when I think it will look better with only 3. The middle ones being doubled up like that doesn't look good.
Which picture? I am not following how you see 5 stiles.

Unread 08/24/2017, 05:44 AM   #19
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
I prefer a more basic stand. I want folks to admire the tank, not the stand.
For me, I want the stand to be similar caliber to the finishes of my home. If I were to have an all-glass cheapo stand/canopy, it would stand out as cheap. So adding nice moldings etc is to do exactly what your saying, not because I want people to admire the stand.

Unread 08/24/2017, 08:15 AM   #20
ph_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Which picture? I am not following how you see 5 stiles.

Looks like they are actually does maybe, but count the vertical pieces, there is 5. It's too busy. The very first part is what I'm talking about.

Unread 08/24/2017, 09:29 AM   #21
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroch View Post
Here is a cross section of crown moulding. This is how I plan on doing my current build.

I do similar to this on a lot of my builds, but my crown goes underneath that ledge, ledge steps out just past it, it's easier and looks better this way

The flat under ledge like OP's original pic is also cool though, and even easier than the crown, especially if you don't have a miter saw

Last edited by davocean; 08/24/2017 at 09:47 AM.
Unread 08/24/2017, 09:36 AM   #22
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
For me, I want the stand to be similar caliber to the finishes of my home. If I were to have an all-glass cheapo stand/canopy, it would stand out as cheap. So adding nice moldings etc is to do exactly what your saying, not because I want people to admire the stand.

Absolutely agree w/ this, it's like does a pretty girl need an ugly or bland boring dress for you to notice her?lol
Absolutely not, so nothing wrong w/ dolling up your tank a little bit.

The key here is to not make too busy, and also since your eyes are naturally drawn to the brightest object first just make sure the stand does not out shine the tank, which really is not too difficult to do w/ our lighting systems.

Originally when I was building my octopus canopy and cabinet w/ glass doors I really wanted it to be amethyst colored glass, and then I decided that was too close to tank color, so I went w/ the amber/root beer colored glass instead, in person you absolutely notice the tank first, then people start looking at the woodwork/octo, but the tank is still definitely the star.

Unread 08/24/2017, 10:13 AM   #23
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Completely understand - that is why there are so many different kinds of moulding for sale .... and a bewildering array of router/shaper bits to be had.

Unread 08/24/2017, 10:17 AM   #24
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Here's my 'basic' stand ......

Sides and cap won't get built until after the tank is in place.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0615.jpg (55.6 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by ca1ore; 08/24/2017 at 10:23 AM.
Unread 08/24/2017, 07:20 PM   #25
ph_
Registered Member

Quote:
Completely understand - that is why there are so many different kinds of moulding for sale .... and a bewildering array of router/shaper bits to be had.
Lee Valley Tools is maybe the best supplier of router bits I can think of, as well as hand woodworking tool like planes, and hardware for any type of door or draw you might want to build.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/home.aspx?c=