Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/11/2017, 01:53 PM   #1
Hentz
Registered Member

A Reef in the Desert - 120 Gallon Build

Hello everyone! My wife and I are finally moved into our first home together as we just got married 3 months ago. I temporarily down-graded to a Reefer 170 from my 56 Gallon SPS Reef Tank about 7 months ago due to lack of space. While its a great tank, I couldn't wait to upgrade! I'm beyond excited to finally be in the 100+ gallon club. Blows me away at how big the system is as I've only been up to a 75 gallon before. I hope you all enjoy my build progress as much as I do!

System Type: SPS Dominant

Display System:
Display Tank: 48"x24"x24" - Visio Eurobraced 120 Gallon
Display Lighting: ATI 6x54w Sunpower T5HO
Sump: Vivid Custom Sump - 36"x18"x20"

Support System:
Display Flow: Maxspect Gyre-130 + Ecotech Marine Vortech MP40x2
Return Pump: Simplicity 1600 DC Pump
Reactor: Chaeto Reactor
Skimmer: Simplicity 240 DC Protein Skimmer
ATO: Tunze 5017
Doser: BRS 1.1ml Doser x2 (For now. Will be adding new dosing pump.)
Controller: Apex Jr. w/ Energy Bar 4 & 8

Additives:
Alkalinity: Triton Core7
Calcium: Triton Core7
Magnesium: Triton Core7

Planned Water Chemistry: Triton Recommendation
Nitrates: 0-5 ppm
Phosphates: 0.02 ppm
Alkalinity: 7.5-8dKH
Calcium: 410-420 ppm
Salinity: 1.026
Magnesium: 1250-1300 ppm
Potassium: 400 ppm

System Plan:

The system goal is to be as simple as possible. I've used ZEOvit with great success, though I'd like to change it up to a more "natural" approach. I'll be running the Triton Core7 method. Though instead of having a "true" refugium, I'll be using a Chaeto Reactor instead. I'm an Acropora fanatic which is what I'll be mainly adding to the tank. While I do enjoy some of the high-end Acropora, my focus will be more on color instead of names. Granted, that doesn't mean no fancy named Unicorn Fart Acroporas . I'll also add various Zoanthids over-time to add some color near the bottom of the tank. As for fish, I'll be adding my current live stock which includes: 2x Black Onyx Clownfish, 1x Melanurus Wrasse, 1x Yellow Watchman Goby (Recently went female and ugly, but I still love it.) I've had these fish for the past 4 years, aside from the Wrasse who is a month or two old in my Reefer 170. I plan on adding other fish as well such as: Various Wrasse's, Various Anthias (Especially a Sunburst Anthias), and a Tang or two.

The right aquascape is representing my current aquascape, which I'll be adding to the tank once its cycled.

And my current Reefer 170. Note the picture was taken 2 months ago.

Unread 06/11/2017, 02:21 PM   #2
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Hentz, subscribed!
Congrats on the new home!
Nice new build. Looking forward to it.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2017, 03:00 PM   #3
slavetonet
Registered Member

Nice build mate.
Any reason why you didn't go 8 x 54 watts T5 unit?

slavetonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Hentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetonet View Post
Nice build mate.
Any reason why you didn't go 8 x 54 watts T5 unit?
Found it used. Though of course, just 2 weeks later a local friend posted his 8x54 for sale....

Unread 06/12/2017, 07:24 AM   #5
kevlow
Registered Member

New wife, home, and tank. Congratulations on all three! Man,when you do a new build, you go all out! LOL.
Will be following along the with the new tank part.

May all three bring you a life of great satisfaction.

kevlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2017, 08:54 AM   #6
shih87
Registered Member

Congrats!
I see all cutting edge equipment and system.
Followed!

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2017, 12:41 PM   #7
cFloor
Registered Member

Looking good! Will you be using a DIY chaeto reactor or will you be buying one?

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2017, 04:45 PM   #8
Hentz
Registered Member

Thanks so much guys!

@kevlow I appreciate the kind words! And yes, have to go all out! Granted I don't have an insane system like some other people on here which I drool over. But I grab what I can get! Often used deals are key for my higher-end equipment!

@shih87 thanks for following! Hopefully my tank is as nice as yours, cFloor's, and many of you other legends on here!

@cFloor thank you brotha. I bought a Chaeto Reactor from my LFS. Happen to be the wrong size for his client so I swooped it up. I believe it's by Sea Side Aquatics. I'll get some pictures up tonight of it.

Unread 06/12/2017, 08:54 PM   #9
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

Congrats on your new build, marriage, and home. I really like looks of your stand and canopy. Can I ask which side of LV you're in? My daughter lived there for several years, the last couple of years were in NLV, before she came home to help me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ladynavyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2017, 09:30 PM   #10
Hentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladynavyvet View Post
Congrats on your new build, marriage, and home. I really like looks of your stand and canopy. Can I ask which side of LV you're in? My daughter lived there for several years, the last couple of years were in NLV, before she came home to help me.

Thank you!
I live in the Centennial Hills area. Northwest part of town. Born and raised here in LV.

Unread 06/12/2017, 10:30 PM   #11
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

My daughter loved living there, but North LV has changed. She lived very close to Nellis.

Unread 06/13/2017, 01:11 AM   #12
Hentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladynavyvet View Post
My daughter loved living there, but North LV has changed. She lived very close to Nellis.

NLV has definitely changed. It's gone a bit down hill, however some parts have made a comeback. Not terrible part of town to live in! But I love the Northwest too much to move away from the area.

Unread 06/13/2017, 06:31 AM   #13
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

The NW was where she lived when she first moved back to LV, years ago. She had a wonderful view of the mountain from her apartment there. She loved the camping up there during the summer, and tubing during the ski season. I visited the city twice during her earlier years living there. For me it was nice to visit, but I'm a product, and devotee of the deep south. I still hope to visit there again, we have good friends there.

Unread 06/21/2017, 09:14 AM   #14
Hentz
Registered Member

Today is the day! LFS will be here in about an hour with 140ish gallons of saltwater using Fritz salt. I'll also be adding Fritz Turbo Start 900 to the system to give the bacteria a jump-start. Plan on letting it run for a few weeks before adding anything though.

Unread 06/21/2017, 12:50 PM   #15
reefmutt
Registered Member

Woohoo! Hentz is getting wet!!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 06/21/2017, 09:34 PM   #16
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Weeeewww looking good matey!! I'm looking forward to see how you go with Triton

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 09:03 AM   #17
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Will the bacteria die off if there are no fish to feed them?

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 11:38 AM   #18
Hentz
Registered Member

Thank you Dom and Matt!!

@Ucantwin I don't think so. I'll lightly feed the tank while I'm feeding my other tank. Just so they have something to feed on.

Unread 06/23/2017, 01:51 PM   #19
Hentz
Registered Member

Tank Ian up and running with water!
Dumped in the Turbo Start last night and also put a little bit of ZEObac along with Sponge Power just cause.

Tank has a light leak I need to fix. Very minor but I'd like to fix it asap before organizing all my cords and what not. It's coming from the drain bulkhead.

Was going to hold off for a few weeks on the other MP40 since I didn't NEED it right now. But wife surprised me today with an MP40 for my birthday! I guess I'll keep her around

Unread 06/23/2017, 05:59 PM   #20
Ucantwin
Registered Member

That's awesome of your wife! Also, Happy Birthday!!!!

Unread 07/06/2017, 02:56 PM   #21
Hentz
Registered Member

My Reefer 170 was hit quite hard with AEFW... Again... They keep coming from somewhere in the tank and I can't figure out where. I haven't added anything in quite some time now. I went ahead and dipped EVERYTHING the other night and decided I won't be using this rock in the new tank. I don't want to have 2 tanks running too much longer so I went ahead and bought more rock.

Drill died as I went to drill the rocks together, so I just added them in the tank. Ended up making a decent little scape on accident. Seems like It'll be plenty of room for Acropora and maybe a nice Monti on the far right to let it take up that area, but undecided on the Monti.
What do you guys think of the aquascape? Should I leave it or change it on the right side?

I also am undecided now on using Triton.. I may just keep it even more simple with dosing + Weekly/Bi-Weekly water changes.

Other than that, tank is definitely on its way to being finished! Added the Fritz Turbo Start, some ZEObac, and some Sponge Power. Really let the bacteria set in!

The original rocks are getting the ugly brown algae and film algae is appearing on the glass. Going to give it another week or two before adding a fish or two. I think I'll add some snails and crabs tomorrow.

Unread 07/07/2017, 07:53 PM   #22
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Scape looks nice. I've only been using triton for a couple of weeks now and hard to say anything about it. What's changing your mind?

Unread 07/08/2017, 12:47 PM   #23
reefmutt
Registered Member

I like the right side. Scape is nice and irregular. It'll fill in nicely with acros.

Unread 07/09/2017, 10:30 AM   #24
Hentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Scape looks nice. I've only been using triton for a couple of weeks now and hard to say anything about it. What's changing your mind?
Thank you, sir. Nothing in particular.. the closer I get for my tank being ready, the more I think just my chaeto reactor, 2-part, and weekly 10% water changes would be plentiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I like the right side. Scape is nice and irregular. It'll fill in nicely with acros.
Thanks Matt! I was going for irregular. As nice as a perfect flowing aquascape looks, I believe it's the irregular look that really adds a lot of character and "depth" to the tank when it fills with corals.

Unread 07/09/2017, 08:24 PM   #25
Arkayology
Registered Member

Looking good. What bulb combo are you using?

in between tanks
Arkayology is offline   Reply With Quote