Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2017, 08:33 PM   #26
Big E
Registered Member

Quote:
Well it seems I can't yet figure out how to post from Flickr either.

Click on the photo to get to this page and click on the arrow icon at the lower right (its next to the star and aiming to the right)

flicker one by Big E 52, on Flickr

Click over to BBCode.....you can size the picture. Then copy using a standard right mouse click. left click "copy"

flicker 2 by Big E 52, on Flickr

Then go to RC and just right click and left click "paste" in your reply post. The url will show up.
When you hit "preview post" it will show up.

Untitled by matthew graham, on Flickr

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 08:54 PM   #27
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Ed, thanks for the explanation. I think you are doing this from a pc..
The options are not the same on the mobile app. The 'export' arrow is there but the only options that come up (besides adding the photo to an email, text, fb Instagram etc) is 'copy url'
When I do this and paste it here, it only adds the link and not the image.
Well, I guess Flickr is out since I post 100% of my images using my phone.

Gonna look at imgur and postimage I guess..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 08:57 PM   #28
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
Tapatalk or smugmug
Smugmug is a new one- to me. Has it been around a while?
Tapatalk is starting to seem more possible as well..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 08/14/2017, 09:21 PM   #29
nemodan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
I checked your thread, and your photobucket links work. Are you a photobucket paid subscriber? If so, then you really don't need to do anything.

for example, in walt disney acro thread, this link is bad

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/z...sz8u2wwd7.jpeg

but adding ~original to the end of the url, it will show the image
This is working. I added, with the phone ~original to all the pictures of my page 1 in my thread and I recovered them.

Daniel

Last edited by nemodan; 08/15/2017 at 04:02 AM.
nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 09:52 PM   #30
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post
This is working. I added, with the phone ~original to all the pictures of my page 1 in my thread and I recovered it.

Daniel
I'm too dense to figure it out. Could you screen shot exactly where to add it? I would like to restore the pictures in my thread.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 10:29 PM   #31
scuzy
Registered Member

I pay for smugmug it's been around for a very long time I've hosted many pictures on there.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 10:45 PM   #32
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
I'm too dense to figure it out. Could you screen shot exactly where to add it? I would like to restore the pictures in my thread.

if the photobucket url has html, you need to do a few more steps to get it to work.

in your one fifty glass box thread post #301
you right click on the picture and copy link (or copy image location).

http://s837.photobucket.com/user/Pfe...lupg4.jpg.html

paste that to a web browser to go to the photobucket page of the image.
then copy the direct url, then edit post #301 and replace the url between the img tags with the direct link url and then add ~original to it, like this

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 11:34 PM   #33
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

Look at financial and strategic strength of owners in picking one

When choosing a photo hosting site, consider the financial strength of its parent. Photobuckets current owners, once a startup called Ontella need to make money so they switched it to a pay site. Its valuation back in 2009 was only $60m, a pittance in today's world of unicorns.

I'd suggest looking into the financial viability of other alternatives as well so that we can avoid having this sort of problem being faced by online communities like this in the near future.

Flickr - Verizon, a telco, acquired it from Yahoo recently. It's safe for a few years until Verizon figures out what its media and online services mean in the telecom convergence world. My bet is Flickr is not a money maker as a stand-alone, and if VZ can't realize synergies for Flickr traffic and monetize it into profitability, it will change hands. Telcos have been muddling in convergence for decades without being able to figure out how to make money off it (see Time Warner and AOL).

Google has a photo sharing service and is free. And it is certainly amongst the strongest financially and is (likely) using cloud services like email and photo sharing as a loss leader. It knows how to make money from internet traffic. Given its financial status, the bleeding from this side likely isn't felt by them. (I do not work for google.).

Facebook also has a free photo storage and sharing. Current limits are 200 albums, and a limit of 1000 photos per album. It is financially stout, and uses photosharing as an integral part of its business.

Instagram is an unlimited photo sharing service owned by facebook.

I am making this suggestion as I am saddened by what's happening across this site and I'd hate to see the visual history of this hobby go down every 2 years due to strategic shifts at "free" hosting firms.

Cheers!

Last edited by AkoAung; 08/15/2017 at 08:43 PM.
AkoAung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 02:15 AM   #34
biggles
Registered Member

For Flickr i just open the image and right click ' view image info '. Copy and paste the link in the [img] links as usual.

If you're not supposed to do it this way then don't blame me, i just took this guy's advice.............

Unread 08/15/2017, 04:32 AM   #35
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

As I said in your thread Matt, I have been using FlickR and been happy with it. FWIW, I use an iMac to upload images. I also have an Imgur account. I will be distributing my images to different hosts reduce my exposure to risk. Both hosts allow images to be stored in their original size and then let you choose the size you want at the time of embedding them in your thread.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 04:36 AM   #36
nemodan
Registered Member

Sorry I will repost

Unread 08/15/2017, 04:45 AM   #37
nemodan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post

Open edit in your post. Then add ~original at the end of the URL ( see below ). Copy and then paste ~original on that position for all the pictures.

Cheers
Daniel

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 08/15/2017, 04:47 AM   #38
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkoAung View Post
When choosing a photo hosting site, consider the financial strength of its parent. Photobuckets current owners, once a startup called Ontella need to make money so they switched it to a pay site. Its valuation back in 2009 was only $60m, a pittance in today's world of unicorns.

I'd suggest looking into the financial viability of other alternatives as well so that we can avoid having this sort of problem being faced by online communities like this in the near future.

Flickr - Verizon, a telco, acquired it from Yahoo recently. It's safe for a few years until Verizon figures out what its media and online services mean in the telecom convergence world. My bet is Flickr is not a money maker as a stand-alone, and if VZ can't realize synergies for Flickr traffic and monetize it into profitability, it will change hands. Telcos have been muddling in convergence for decades without being able to figure out how to make money off it (see Time Warner and AOL).

Google has a photo sharing service and is free. And it is certainly amongst the strongest financially and is (likely) using cloud services like email and photo sharing as a loss leader. It knows how to make money from internet traffic. Given its financial status, the bleeding from this side likely isn't felt by them. (I do not work for google.).

Facebook also has photo storage and sharing. Current limits are 200 albums, and a limit of 1000 photos per album. It is financially stout, and uses photosharing as an integral part of its business.

I am making this suggestion as I am saddened by what's happening across this site and I'd hate to see the visual history of this hobby go down every 2 years due to strategic shifts at "free" hosting firms.

Cheers!
This is really useful. Thanks. Do you have any information on Imgur? It sounds as if my choices are not sound.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
Unread 08/15/2017, 07:47 AM   #39
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
This is really useful. Thanks. Do you have any information on Imgur? It sounds as if my choices are not sound.
I'm glad you found it. Many users are not cognizant of it. A lot of image hosting companies have gone under. Photobucket is having challenges and is trying to have its customers pay for its service in order to save itself.

Imgur is, unfortunately, a private start up as well. Its fortunes are tied to how popular Reddit is. It raised funding 3 years ago from founders of netscape. It is trying to develop a different monetization model than its predecessors. Ultimately, it is built to be sold (it hopes) as all tech companies are, to a large consolidator, i.e. Flickr sold to Yahoo then to Verizon.

Will it succeed? It's questionable as the history of start-ups in this narrow category is not good. Nobody's gone on to become a google of photo sharing businesses. As you will notice, its an invisible service - i.e. end users do not see who's hosting the files. That makes it difficult to sell advertising, etc.

Chances are strong Imgur will go the way of others unless it creates a unique appeal as a mobile app i.e. snapchat, instagram etc.

Instagram is free hosting service as well. It is owned by facebook, and should last for years and I'd recommend its use.

Unread 08/15/2017, 07:51 AM   #40
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
I'm glad you found it. Many users are not cognizant of it. A lot of image hosting companies have gone under. Photobucket is having challenges and is trying to have its customers pay for its service in order to save itself.

Imgur is, unfortunately, a private start up as well. Its fortunes are tied to how popular Reddit is. It raised funding 3 years ago from founders of netscape. It is trying to develop a different monetization model than its predecessors. Ultimately, it is built to be sold (it hopes) as all tech companies are, to a large consolidator, i.e. Flickr sold to Yahoo then to Verizon.

Will it succeed? It's questionable as the history of start-ups in this narrow category is not good. Nobody's gone on to become a google of photo sharing businesses. As you will notice, its an invisible service - i.e. end users do not see who's hosting the files. That makes it difficult to sell advertising, etc.

Chances are strong Imgur will go the way of others unless it creates a unique appeal as a mobile app i.e. snapchat, instagram etc.

Instagram is free hosting service as well. It is owned by facebook, and should last for years and I'd recommend its use.
Thank you very much. I looked at Google after reading your post. It looked quite appealing. I will investigate Instagram now.

Unread 08/15/2017, 11:01 AM   #41
reefmutt
Registered Member

AkoAung, you have great insight and suggestions.
I use google plus for sharing photos by emailing the link of an album to family and friends but I don't think they support 3rd party hosting, nor does Instagram..
And it seems even a narrower group- if any besides tapatalk support it from a mobile device..

Unread 08/15/2017, 03:14 PM   #42
Lsufan
Registered Member

I'm in the same boat as u Matt. I never could figure out flickr from my mobile phone & all the instructions that I see are for a computer. It just doesn't give u the option to be able to copy on a mobile. If I highlight it & copy it comes out a blank square when I post the pic.

I did figure out imgur by going to the desktop site instead of mobile or being in the app. Once I went to desktop I was able to figure out how to post but it was a pain to do. I had to resize every photo individually, plus being on the desktop site just doesn't work great from a mobile phone.

Postimage was by far the easiest from a mobile phone

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 05:10 PM   #43
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
AkoAung, you have great insight and suggestions.
I use google plus for sharing photos by emailing the link of an album to family and friends but I don't think they support 3rd party hosting, nor does Instagram..
And it seems even a narrower group- if any besides tapatalk support it from a mobile device..
I'll be honest, I've never used instagram to post pictures, just to follow some sports personalities. I thought it might have a photo sharing feature.

Google Photos is the particular service I am referring to:

https://photos.google.com/

It is a sharing and hosting service and it is also free.
I have used it to post pictures in the past. Tell me if this random pic works:

Unread 08/15/2017, 05:14 PM   #44
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

The following is from my face book photos album. Facebook photos is also FREE:

Unread 08/15/2017, 05:25 PM   #45
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll be honest, I've never used instagram to post pictures, just to follow some sports personalities. I thought it might have a photo sharing feature.

Google Photos is the particular service I am referring to:

https://photos.google.com/

It is a sharing and hosting service and it is also free.
I have used it to post pictures in the past. Tell me if this random pic works:

Yup worked. You are using your computer?
I don't think the google plus app has the feature.. like Flickr.. or I can't seem to find it..
Bugs me that all the phone apps don't have all the features the website have..

Unread 08/15/2017, 05:26 PM   #46
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

I have to retract the use of Instagram. It is designed to be mobile use only. So for those using regular cameras will find it a bit more challenging to post.

Unread 08/15/2017, 05:30 PM   #47
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Yup worked. You are using your computer?
I don't think the google plus app has the feature.. like Flickr.. or I can't seem to find it..
Bugs me that all the phone apps don't have all the features the website have..
Well that's great! Yes I posted from computer as photos from compact cameras are inevitably better than my phone's camera. I haven't tried posting pictures to a forum from my phone yet. Though if you use the phone's browser, or tapatalk and link the pics from google photo or facebook photo to the forum post I can't see why that won't work.

Last edited by AkoAung; 08/16/2017 at 05:43 AM.
Unread 08/15/2017, 05:59 PM   #48
reefmutt
Registered Member

Yes. Tapatalk may be the way to go for me as a mobile user.
I download my photos from my sale directly to my phone and post them..
Trying a copied link from Instagram..
https://instagram.com/p/BXeG2eShwUq/

Oh well..

Unread 08/15/2017, 06:23 PM   #49
Pife
Registered Member

It works matt.

On Tapatalk. Not on website.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Unread 08/15/2017, 06:23 PM   #50
Pife
Registered Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVbbl3Yjwwr/