Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2017, 08:40 AM   #1
Gugs Jr
Registered Member

Testing for color blind/deficient

I'm red green color blind so color test are horrible. My wife has been helping me but is there a better way?

I've been using API kits, and haven't tried others because didn't want to waste the money off the are the same.

I looked at Hanna Checkers but the reviews are hit and miss.

Mindstream seems like it could be an option but can't see paying $900 to start up then $35 a month (estimated cost), also who knows when it will be here.

Anything else missing that I can try?

I have a most SPS tank, only 2 LPS, thinking about addinga Clam and an anemone for my clowns.

Gugs Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 08:56 AM   #2
pisanoal
Registered Member

The salifert Ca, Mg and Alk aren't bad. Im not color blind, but you are titrating from a blue to a pink/red or vice versa. You are looking for a color change instead of a specific color. Might be easier then reading degrees of color. You could get one and try it, if it works then buy the others, they are similar. If it doesn't, then you only bought one. The PO4 and NO3 are color value tests though. You could try looking up a youtube video and see if you can see the endpoint before you buy.

In my experience. The Hannah meters are fine. Way better then guessing a color value, especially if you struggle with that. If you have concerns, keep some back up tests and have your wife help you cross check new batches of reagents, or if you have concerns that a specific test might be wrong.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 01:37 PM   #3
Gugs Jr
Registered Member

Thank you, I'll pick one up today and post back here for others that might be in the same boat

Unread 08/14/2017, 03:19 PM   #4
outssider
Registered Member

the hanna alk checker is great. Never had a problem with it or with any of the reagents, even the recalled reagents worked fine for me.....

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 03:29 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that the Hanna alkalinity meter is good. There's a calcium probe available that will work, but it's pricy and inconvenient. The same goes for the nitrate probe that I've seen. What other parameters are you checking?

Unread 08/14/2017, 03:36 PM   #6
Gladmaker
Registered Member

I recently got a Hanna phosphate checker. that gives a digital readout. I also have a Red Sea phosphate checker that you have to do a color match. I tested with both of them and they gave exactly the same results. An issue I have with Hanna is that the reagent powder comes in individual envelopes which you have to very carefully pour into a tube. The first time I did it, I spilled some and had to start over. I suppose for someone that's color blind, they could learn how to use the powder with experience. Other then the powder, it's a straight forward procedure to get a reading.

Gladmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 10:27 PM   #7
Gugs Jr
Registered Member

So, I tested Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium with the Salfiert tester and I was able to do it. The wife was there just as a back up. The color changes are a noticeable change.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Unread 08/15/2017, 07:54 AM   #8
Hitch08
Registered Member

I use Hanna for phosphate (the ULR version) and I also picked up a Hanna nitrate tester from Amazon warehouse. It was less then half price.

Unread 08/15/2017, 09:58 AM   #9
Alfrareef
Registered Member

Hanna checkers are great, specially the PO4 (ULR) and KH.

Alfrareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 04:11 PM   #10
Gugs Jr
Registered Member

Even with the +- accuracy?

Unread 08/15/2017, 04:55 PM   #11
bertoni
RC Mod

There's quite a range for the Phosphate Checker, but it might be accurate enough for a fair number of people. I'd go for the ULR, personally, or the Hach kit.

Unread 08/15/2017, 04:56 PM   #12
Alfrareef
Registered Member

Testing for color blind/deficient

What do you mean by +- accuracy? Every test have +- accuracy and Hanna are very good.
I have the ULR version.

Last edited by Alfrareef; 08/15/2017 at 05:18 PM.
Unread 08/15/2017, 07:40 PM   #13
Gugs Jr
Registered Member

Calcium is 6%, Alk is 5%, Mag is also 5% just figured that much could make a difference

Unread 08/16/2017, 03:48 AM   #14
Alfrareef
Registered Member

You must consider the resolution when evaluating the accuracy.

Unread 08/16/2017, 06:13 AM   #15
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugs Jr View Post
I'm red green color blind so color test are horrible. My wife has been helping me but is there a better way?

I've been using API kits, and haven't tried others because didn't want to waste the money off the are the same.

I looked at Hanna Checkers but the reviews are hit and miss.

Mindstream seems like it could be an option but can't see paying $900 to start up then $35 a month (estimated cost), also who knows when it will be here.

Anything else missing that I can try?

I have a most SPS tank, only 2 LPS, thinking about addinga Clam and an anemone for my clowns.
Same issue here. Ive used the wife too many times to count. Finally she got annoyed with it, so as the tank matured I transitioned to Hanna for Alk & Cal. Still need to get the ULR Phos but at this point my levels remain unchanged based on the schedule/maintenance I keep.

From my experience the Alk has always been on point. I had a recent problem with the Cal (reagent or otherwise) where it kept measuring low. I removed the battery and replaced after 30 seconds and it seems cured for the time being.

Once the tank is established, Nitrates & Phosphates are under control, Alk/Cal/Mag are the most important.