Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/16/2017, 11:30 PM   #1
mike810
Registered Member

Filter Socks Issue

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my filter socks. I have 200 micron felt socks. The first time I tried to clean them, I used a pressure washer and let it sun dry before trying to use them again. When putting them back into the sump, it seems like they were now water proof and would actually float, unlike when the socks were new would instantly absorb the water and seat nicely in the sock holder.

So I went a different route and this time, threw them in the washer with some bleach and an extra rinse cycle. Once they were done in the washer, I took them back out to dry in the sun to gas off any left over chlorine. Tried putting them back into the sump tonight and same issue, they seem water proof, would not soak up the water and float.

What do you guys think the problem is and how to resolve it? I literally have over 50 felt socks that I can't use.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 11:36 PM   #2
prsnlty
Registered Member

Did you try pre wetting them? I wash mine in the washing machine just like you do. Are you washing them in hot water? It is best if you do. Sometimes mine act like they're floating to so I just push them down in the water for a few seconds until they absorb it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 180g AGA - drilled, 55g sump, Apex, DC12000 return, Custom LR overflows & return column, RO skimmer150, 2- AI Sol Blue LEDS, 6 X 80W ATI T5s, 2 x wp40 PH, JBJ ATO & 20g tank, Jebao DP4, 3 x TLF 150 Reactors for carbon and GFO
prsnlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 01:57 AM   #3
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnlty View Post
Did you try pre wetting them? I wash mine in the washing machine just like you do. Are you washing them in hot water? It is best if you do. Sometimes mine act like they're floating to so I just push them down in the water for a few seconds until they absorb it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I have four socks to change in the first sock compartment so I'm having to hold all four down for a good while and leave a piece of PVC pipe in there to keep them down. If I remove the pipe, they will float back up again.

Unread 08/17/2017, 03:45 AM   #4
fishyguy7
Registered Member

They do not want to take on water very well after having been washed. Just submerge them in the sump for a few seconds and they are good to go.

fishyguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 06:43 AM   #5
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Drop them in a bowl of water or in the kitchen sink 10 minutes before you want to swap them. If you're doing other tank maintenance, just do this first then do everything else and they will be wetted out when you need them.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 11:36 AM   #6
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Simple solution and cheap for you. Go to dollar store and grab 1 pack of the glass marbles ppl use in glass flower pots for decorative faux arrangements. Clean them and place a few in each sock to force them to sink, then the flow will take its course.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Clowning_Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 12:20 PM   #7
five.five-six
Registered Member

I always bleached my socks, i think presure washigh might open up the 200 micron holes.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 06:08 PM   #8
Lsufan
Registered Member

Are they still floating with the system running? I wash mine in the washer & they float when I first put them in. I push them down in the water then lift them back up, put them in place again & they are a lot better but they do still have a tendency to lift up some until I turn the system back on. Once the water starts flowing through them they are fine.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 06:41 PM   #9
mike810
Registered Member

Thank for the replies! They float even when the system is running, I rarely turn off the return pump. I like the idea of just soaking them in the sump first prior to changing out the socks.

Unread 08/17/2017, 08:00 PM   #10
ericarenee
Registered Member

i wash mine in washing machine with Hot water and bleach. I run a extra rinse cycle and let them air dry . I have no real issue with them trying to float.

Maybe its the brand you are using?

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 12:18 AM   #11
Orm Embar
Registered Member

Why not try mesh socks instead of felt? I found mine to rinse out easily under the tap, and didn't need to wash them

Quotes from my friends upon seeing my tank: "Hey, fresh sushi!"
Orm Embar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 02:35 AM   #12
mike810
Registered Member

Not sure what is going on but I may switch to mesh. This becoming a hassle. I put in washed socks last night and tonight, they're already starting to clog. I wash them just like everyone else. Washed with some bleach, hot water and extra rinse cycle. Then dry in the sun to gas off any excess chlorine. I have over 50 socks and turning them all inside out to wash is such a big hassle.

Unread 08/18/2017, 05:57 AM   #13
fishyguy7
Registered Member

I wash 6 at a time in my washer. I wash on the heavy duty cycle with hot water,bleach and the extra rinse cycle. Then I turn them inside out and wash them once more the same way. It may be overkill but they come out looking like new every time. I really have no idea why yours are floating like they do.

Unread 08/18/2017, 06:05 AM   #14
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

See the picture in my diy sump post of my build thread, these are the glass marbles I was referring to in my earlier post.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...php?p=25157840

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Clowning_Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 07:21 AM   #15
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
i wash mine in washing machine with Hot water and bleach. I run a extra rinse cycle and let them air dry . I have no real issue with them trying to float.

Maybe its the brand you are using?
+1

I turn them inside out, rinse in the sink, then toss in a bucket of bleach and water. they then sit for about 2 or so weeks until I have enough to run a cycle on the washing machine.

The only thing I do different is on the second rinse cycle I add a couple cap fulls of prime just to make sure no bleach is left.

I use BRS 200 micron felt socks and have never had a problem of them floating after washing.

It could be the brand you are using?

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 02:24 PM   #16
duncanpate1
Registered Member

I had the same issue so I threw them out & never looked back!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duncanpate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 07:26 PM   #17
mike810
Registered Member

Cheap no brand china socks. 50 plus socks with no use as they float like crazy. I switched to mesh. We shall see how they hold up after the first wash with the garden hose.

Unread 08/21/2017, 08:01 PM   #18
Lsufan
Registered Member

I think it may have been the brand of socks that u where using. Once they are wet they shouldn't float. About half of my socks came form BRS & the other half from McMaster Carr & I don't have issues with eighther. U may find u like the mesh better but I prefer the felt.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 09:56 PM   #19
mike810
Registered Member

I very much prefer the felt variety but I am limited on the brands of filter socks I can choose from. I have a royal exclusive dreambox and their 4" socks are in metric. So I would have to buy mesh socks from them at $11+ each! They also don't carry felt socks. So I had to source my socks elsewhere and those were the only felt socks I could find that fit the dreambox. I found some mesh socks that fit and are cheaper but like before, it's a no name brand so I'll see how these hold up.

Unread 08/22/2017, 02:06 AM   #20
fishyguy7
Registered Member

Check McMaster Carr

Unread 08/22/2017, 02:20 AM   #21
mike810
Registered Member

I didn't see an option for metric sizes so they most likely will not fit my dreambox.