Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/18/2017, 06:00 AM   #326
nvladik
Registered Member

Morning guys. Have a quick question, but I might be too early and jumping the gun, so please tell me if I should just wait. Have a new setup that I picked up a mini 160 for. Tank is still cycling, high amonia, decent nitrites. High Ph. I wanted to get a head start on breaking in the skimmer, so I let it run in the tank for 16 hours. Ran it for a little without the cup, too many bubbles, so I left it overnight with collection cup on but open drain port so the water wont fill it.

16 hours in it won't stop overflowing, skimmer is fully open, so I can't slow it down any. Thought?

nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2017, 08:50 AM   #327
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
Morning guys. Have a quick question, but I might be too early and jumping the gun, so please tell me if I should just wait. Have a new setup that I picked up a mini 160 for. Tank is still cycling, high amonia, decent nitrites. High Ph. I wanted to get a head start on breaking in the skimmer, so I let it run in the tank for 16 hours. Ran it for a little without the cup, too many bubbles, so I left it overnight with collection cup on but open drain port so the water wont fill it.

16 hours in it won't stop overflowing, skimmer is fully open, so I can't slow it down any. Thought?
It's pretty soon but the key question is how deep it is in the sump. Also, if you have used Epoxy in the tank or new live rock, there could be a lot of dissolved organics in the water. If it's continually overflowing and the wedge pipe is wide open, you need to raise the skimmer or lower the sump level until you find a spot that the overflowing subsides. You want the line where bubbles turn to foam to be about 1" below the white pvc part that is bonded to the upper part of the body. There should be a line on the skimmer body to note that point.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2017, 09:08 AM   #328
nvladik
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
It's pretty soon but the key question is how deep it is in the sump. Also, if you have used Epoxy in the tank or new live rock, there could be a lot of dissolved organics in the water. If it's continually overflowing and the wedge pipe is wide open, you need to raise the skimmer or lower the sump level until you find a spot that the overflowing subsides. You want the line where bubbles turn to foam to be about 1" below the white pvc part that is bonded to the upper part of the body. There should be a line on the skimmer body to note that point.
It's in 11" of water, I read it was cool to go up to 12"? Is that correct?

I guess I will be building a stand today

nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2017, 11:55 AM   #329
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
It's in 11" of water, I read it was cool to go up to 12"? Is that correct?

I guess I will be building a stand today
That is WAY too deep. Not sure where you read that but 22cm depth which is about 8.5" is the max recommended depth per the manual..
http://royalexclusiv.net/images/cont...enance_eng.pdf

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 04/18/2017, 12:12 PM   #330
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Bubble King Setup, Tuning and trouble shooting thread. Post your questions here!

What water height would be good for a DC200? I have a very light load for now and can't produce much skimmate at all at the moment. The manual says either 170mm or 220mm is preferred but I don't understand why they give 2 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 04/18/2017, 01:03 PM   #331
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post
What water height would be good for a DC200? I have a very light load for now and can't produce much skimmate at all at the moment. The manual says either 170mm or 220mm is preferred but I don't understand why they give 2 points.

They provide a range because the ideal depth depends greatly on the load in the display as well as the pump speed. A heavier load requires less depth than a lighter load due to the fact that the more dissolved organics in the water, the higher the line where bubbles turn to foam will be since there are more proteins in the water for the bubbles to bind to. That results in more foam vs bubbles that just burst at the surface since they can't bind together to form foam. The higher the pump speed is run, the higher the water level. The manual states 20-25cm depth. In the case of a light load relative to the skimmer, you will want it at the higher end of that range so you don't need to close the wedge pipe too much. I'd suggest a pump speed of 28-30 watts and a depth of around 9". With a light load, I would aim to have the line where bubbles turn to foam about 1/4" - 1/2" above the white PVC collar where the cup attaches to the body. You will be looking for that line in the skimmers neck. Keep in mind that the skimmer will only remove the dissolved organics that are in the water to be skimmed out. If you aren't producing skimmate, it's because the amount of DOC's in the water are so low that there isn't much to produce. You can always raise the level up in the skimmer and run it wetter or run the pump speed higher if you want to have something in the cup to clean out.

Page 2 of the manual discusses the depth ranges for the Double Cones.
http://royalexclusiv.com/images/cont...enance_eng.pdf

Unread 04/18/2017, 01:23 PM   #332
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Bubble King Setup, Tuning and trouble shooting thread. Post your questions here!

Thanks slief

Unread 04/19/2017, 10:46 AM   #333
vhuang168
Registered Member

I have a relatively light load, with the DC200, I'm at 9" with the pump at 30w.

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 11:08 AM   #334
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

I checked last night and am at 9" as well with pump on 29w

Unread 04/19/2017, 11:08 AM   #335
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Pipe about 3/4 closed as well

Unread 04/19/2017, 11:17 AM   #336
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post
Pipe about 3/4 closed as well

That should be fine. You could increase the sump level another half an inch and open the pipe up some but if you increase your load in the display, you will end up needing to lower the sump level vs opening the wedge pipe.

Unread 04/19/2017, 08:29 PM   #337
biecacka
Registered Member

I run my dc200 in 9in of water on 34 for my tank.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 08:50 PM   #338
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Ok I'm gonna slowly bump up my pump speed to see if I can get it to run a little more consistent even if it's wet.

Unread 04/23/2017, 11:30 PM   #339
badfinger
Registered Member

Slief,

I am starting to run into the F8 code more and more often. I have the red ozone tube drawing air also now.

Tonight I raised the skimmer level from 9" to 8.75". To see if that would help. It did not.

I have cleaned out the venturi, almost weekly. Have opened the pump and cleaned that out probably 5 times in the 3 months I have had it.

Today I took the silencer off and just have the ozone tube and regular tube open with no ubstruction

I have to run the pump at 36 watts in order for me not to get the code. Anything less I get the code.

Thanks in advance for your help

badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 10:25 AM   #340
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfinger View Post
Slief,

I am starting to run into the F8 code more and more often. I have the red ozone tube drawing air also now.

Tonight I raised the skimmer level from 9" to 8.75". To see if that would help. It did not.

I have cleaned out the venturi, almost weekly. Have opened the pump and cleaned that out probably 5 times in the 3 months I have had it.

Today I took the silencer off and just have the ozone tube and regular tube open with no ubstruction

I have to run the pump at 36 watts in order for me not to get the code. Anything less I get the code.

Thanks in advance for your help
Hmm. I will PM you.

Unread 05/19/2017, 02:06 PM   #341
msderganc
Registered Member

Just received my new Mini BK 160 in the mail today (6 months after ordering, ended up going with it over the DC 150 due to space constraints), but I have a question:

Is there normally a hum? It's registering about 50 db on my SPL ~3 feet from the skimmer. I can hear the air intake as well. It's definitely louder than my Tunze pumps. I pulled the skimmer apart and ran it without the case and it was a lot quieter. Are there any points that may be over tightened? Or something I can grease with silicone grease to make it quieter? It's definitely not as silent as people have described it.

There were also some scrapes on the back of the chamber, minor issues, but for the amount I paid for a small skimmer, I would have thought it would be perfect.

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS ReefSavvy in the Works (prior: 260g SPS heavy system, 70g prop system, 29g Biocube)
msderganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 02:45 PM   #342
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by msderganc View Post
Just received my new Mini BK 160 in the mail today (6 months after ordering, ended up going with it over the DC 150 due to space constraints), but I have a question:

Is there normally a hum? It's registering about 50 db on my SPL ~3 feet from the skimmer. I can hear the air intake as well. It's definitely louder than my Tunze pumps. I pulled the skimmer apart and ran it without the case and it was a lot quieter. Are there any points that may be over tightened? Or something I can grease with silicone grease to make it quieter? It's definitely not as silent as people have described it.

There were also some scrapes on the back of the chamber, minor issues, but for the amount I paid for a small skimmer, I would have thought it would be perfect.
Not sure about the scrapes. That is kind of surprising. Also surprised you waited 6 months. We were out of stock on them for a few months between shipments but not 6 months. Where did you order it from? Are they actually scrapes or just smudges?

That said, I run the same skimmer in one of my tanks. It's pretty quiet but the tolerances are tight on the Mini's. I run the screws that hold the base plate into the skimmer, snug but not completely tight. Same with the screw that holds the bubble plate. Also make sure the bubble plate is centered and not off to one side so that it's coming in contact with the body. That would cause some resonance or vibration. I also found that it quieted down substantially as the skimmer broke in. Just give it a week or two and it should quiet down. You can try loosing some of the screws slightly but it probably just needs some breakin time. That does draw a fair amount of air but again, that should quiet down as the skimmer breaks in. Once it settles in, I think you will really like it. Mine does an amazing job and is very consistent. While not silent, they are one of the quietest space saving skimmers I've used to date but as I said, it takes some time for it to break in and quiet down which was the case with mine.

Unread 05/19/2017, 03:21 PM   #343
msderganc
Registered Member

Quote:
Not sure about the scrapes. That is kind of surprising. Also surprised you waited 6 months. We were out of stock on them for a few months between shipments but not 6 months. Where did you order it from? Are they actually scrapes or just smudges?

That said, I run the same skimmer in one of my tanks. It's pretty quiet but the tolerances are tight on the Mini's. I run the screws that hold the base plate into the skimmer, snug but not completely tight. Same with the screw that holds the bubble plate. Also make sure the bubble plate is centered and not off to one side so that it's coming in contact with the body. That would cause some resonance or vibration. I also found that it quieted down substantially as the skimmer broke in. Just give it a week or two and it should quiet down. You can try loosing some of the screws slightly but it probably just needs some breakin time. That does draw a fair amount of air but again, that should quiet down as the skimmer breaks in. Once it settles in, I think you will really like it. Mine does an amazing job and is very consistent. While not silent, they are one of the quietest space saving skimmers I've used to date but as I said, it takes some time for it to break in and quiet down which was the case with mine.
Thanks - I appreciate it. Part of the reason for the wait was that I had originally ordered the DC150, which had been out of stock. Yes, they are definitely scrapes on the outside back of the main skimmer body, behind the pump.

I checked the bubble plate, it is centered. I will loosen the baseplate screws a bit to see if that helps. Have you tried putting something like a piece of super thin latex or silicone? in between the pump baseplate and the skimmer base?

Otherwise I'll wait for it to break in and see if that helps.

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS ReefSavvy in the Works (prior: 260g SPS heavy system, 70g prop system, 29g Biocube)
Unread 05/19/2017, 06:39 PM   #344
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks - I appreciate it. Part of the reason for the wait was that I had originally ordered the DC150, which had been out of stock. Yes, they are definitely scrapes on the outside back of the main skimmer body, behind the pump.

I checked the bubble plate, it is centered. I will loosen the baseplate screws a bit to see if that helps. Have you tried putting something like a piece of super thin latex or silicone? in between the pump baseplate and the skimmer base?

Otherwise I'll wait for it to break in and see if that helps.

Very strange that the body has a scratch on it. The skimmers are shipped in those nice cloth bags for to prevent scratches from the packaging. Where did you order this skimmer from? I wonder if it was handled before being shipped to you? Interestingly, the Double Cone 150's arrived at our facility in Ft. Myers at the same time as the Mini 160's so both should have been available at the same time which was a few weeks ago.

I have not tried putting latex or silicone between the base and the pump but like I said, mine quieted down after a week or two. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to try it but depending on what you use, it may raise the pump ever so slightly and then the nozzle may not aling with the pump where it goes through the body. It's already a tight fit there to prevent water from coming out of the body between the nozzle and body. Once the pump and skimmer break in, the resonance that you hear should dissipate but if you do experiment, please let me know what your results are.

Unread 05/19/2017, 08:01 PM   #345
msderganc
Registered Member

Quote:
Very strange that the body has a scratch on it. The skimmers are shipped in those nice cloth bags for to prevent scratches from the packaging. Where did you order this skimmer from? I wonder if it was handled before being shipped to you? Interestingly, the Double Cone 150's arrived at our facility in Ft. Myers at the same time as the Mini 160's so both should have been available at the same time which was a few weeks ago.

I have not tried putting latex or silicone between the base and the pump but like I said, mine quieted down after a week or two. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to try it but depending on what you use, it may raise the pump ever so slightly and then the nozzle may not aling with the pump where it goes through the body. It's already a tight fit there to prevent water from coming out of the body between the nozzle and body. Once the pump and skimmer break in, the resonance that you hear should dissipate but if you do experiment, please let me know what your results are.
Will do. Just loosening the titanium bolts got it down 5db. I was concerned about the alignment as well. I ordered a bit of 1/25" silicone gasket material, which I think may be thin enough not to affect the alignment. Coming from China I think though, so it won't be here until June/July.

It was shipped direct from the Royal Exclusiv warehouse in Florida, and it had the cloth bag around it. So the scratches must have happened at the factory?

Unread 05/19/2017, 09:18 PM   #346
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Will do. Just loosening the titanium bolts got it down 5db. I was concerned about the alignment as well. I ordered a bit of 1/25" silicone gasket material, which I think may be thin enough not to affect the alignment. Coming from China I think though, so it won't be here until June/July.

It was shipped direct from the Royal Exclusiv warehouse in Florida, and it had the cloth bag around it. So the scratches must have happened at the factory?
Good that loosening the screws helped a bit. As I said, it should quiet down more once it breaks in. Did you happen to get any pictures of the scratch in question? I assume given your wait that you bought this through one of our resllers and it was drop shipped from us? If so, which reseller did you buy it through? I wonder if the skimmer was opened in customs and maybe got scratched when it customes inspected the shipment.. I've not seen any complaints about scratched skimmers so I'm just pondering where this could have happened as Germany is pretty careful with these things when the assemble and pack them.

Unread 05/20/2017, 06:13 AM   #347
msderganc
Registered Member

I bought it through Premium Aquatics, and it was drop shipped. I can get a pic today, if it helps.

Unread 05/20/2017, 07:29 AM   #348
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I bought it through Premium Aquatics, and it was drop shipped. I can get a pic today, if it helps.
I certainly would be curious. Hopefully it's not much trouble. I will PM you my email address so we don't derail this thread.

Unread 05/28/2017, 02:04 AM   #349
Sanghee
Registered Member

hello? My BK dc200 has a problem

hey my skimmer is overflowing...

I`m very confused...

Sanghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 02:38 AM   #350
Sanghee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanghee View Post
hey my skimmer is overflowing...

I`m very confused...
what is the best water level for double cone 200?

and how many time should I turn the intake nozzel?

My tank is just brand new 2weeks ago.

Sanghee is offline   Reply With Quote