Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2020, 05:28 PM   #1
reefdiculous
Registered Member

What is happening to my silicone seam!?

Hey Everyone,

Just a quick question. So, yesterday I just noticed one of my silicone seams on my 90 gallon Marineland tank looked chipped or eaten away. No other seams look like this, just what you see in the attached picture. The tank is only about 6 years old (had it since new) and I am always very very careful not to nick the seams when I scrape algae. What could be happening?

Some thoughts come to mind:

1. Maybe a snail going after the Coralline algae is also taking a little silicone?
2. Maybe a fish is nipping at it?
3. Maybe natural aging?
4. Maybe the Coralline algae is causing it to chip somehow?

Does this look serious to you seasoned reef keepers? What should I do? Just keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse? Reseal right away?

silicone-seam

Attached Images
File Type: jpg silicone_seam.jpg (47.6 KB, 21 views)
reefdiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2020, 08:34 PM   #2
wrott
Registered Member

The extra glue on the glass is not needed to hold the glass together.
You could scrape it off entirely without leaks.

120g SPS, 125g mix, 56g FOWLR, 20g qt
wrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2020, 06:39 AM   #3
ROlympia
Registered Member

Probably from whatever you use to scrape algae off the glass.

ROlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2020, 10:52 AM   #4
reefdiculous
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrott View Post
The extra glue on the glass is not needed to hold the glass together.
You could scrape it off entirely without leaks.
Interesting... I didn't know that the extra silicone wasn't crucial in holding the seam. That does put my fears to rest somewhat. It's still puzzling why it's chipping away from just that one seam in the upper right corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlympia View Post
Probably from whatever you use to scrape algae off the glass.
Nope! You're not going to believe me, but I have never hit a seam with an algae scraper. I've been super paranoid about it since the day I bought the tank.

So, I am getting the feeling that I shouldn't worry about it too much. When would I normally be up for a reseal anyways? 10 years?

Unread 07/11/2020, 01:12 PM   #5
Timfish
Registered Member

While I agree the silicone directly between the glass providing most of the strength to the joint the silicone in the corner is still needed for extending the life of the joint. Your situation is a perfect example, algae is working it's way in between the sili one and the glass. At some point it will get into the joint between the two sheets of glass and it may take 20 years but it can work it's way through the joint.

Unread 07/11/2020, 01:19 PM   #6
reefdiculous
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
While I agree the silicone directly between the glass providing most of the strength to the joint the silicone in the corner is still needed for extending the life of the joint. Your situation is a perfect example, algae is working it's way in between the sili one and the glass. At some point it will get into the joint between the two sheets of glass and it may take 20 years but it can work it's way through the joint.
Interesting... So, you're saying it's the coralline algae growth chipping away at it? Hmm.. maybe I should try to carefully remove it to stop erosion?

Unread 07/12/2020, 06:27 AM   #7
robs.mark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
Many tanks are built without the seam now, I have one sitting in my living room!

Current Tank Info: Lagoon
robs.mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2020, 08:43 AM   #8
Timfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs.mark View Post
Many tanks are built without the seam now, I have one sitting in my living room!
I have systems with out that bead also. Those joints will certainly outlast the manufacturer's warrenty. But after seeing algae work it's way through the joint on a system, albiet an old system, I frequently check all visible joints. Also having systems that are decades old I like to plan for the long run so when setting up a new system I prefer a tank with a silicone bead inside the joint. Easthetics often don't allow for this but I also prefer tanks that have a one piece molded frame around the top and bottom as that adds some additional strength which will extend the life of the tank. There's not much worse than seeing an empty tank with dead and dying animals you've had for years because steps weren't taken to monitor a tank and replace it when joints gave indications of deterioration.

Last edited by Timfish; 07/18/2020 at 08:49 AM.
Timfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2020, 08:48 AM   #9
Timfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefdiculous View Post
Interesting... So, you're saying it's the coralline algae growth chipping away at it? Hmm.. maybe I should try to carefully remove it to stop erosion?
You will need to be very careful. I learned the hard way trying to scrub the lagae out of the joint in the long run actually worked the algae into the joint more. If it was my tank I would just monitor it's progress and plan on someday needing to replace the tank. As pointed out above, it's the silicone between the 2 sheets of glass that provides the structural strength and you don't need to worry about planning on replacing the tank until the algae is working it's way through the joint.