Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2009, 11:41 AM   #51
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

The tubes were dropped 8 inches last night. PAR at the water line went up 100. And, it was completely overcast and at 5 pm when I took the readings.

I double checked the old light fixture (now on the frag tank). The PAR that I previously referenced was on a new 10K bulb (right side). It is still around 1180. The 14K bulbs to the left and middle are around 675 and 850. Huge difference. All readings are at the water surface. Solatube readings are about an inch below the bottom of the tube. Once I get the supplemental lights hooked up, I'll update the PAR readings (at the water level)

"Great things happen when you start to add more light. The heavens open, angels sing and there is Peace on Earth" RockDoc

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon stony reef, 300 gallon softie tank, 120 gallon FW/Orchid tank
jdhuyvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2009, 01:52 PM   #52
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

FTS today at 2:30. Tube #4 is fixed. All tubes have been lowered. Corals have "browned out". Based on everything I read, I expected this. In 2 or 3 weeks the color should come back even better. Second pic is my Aquarium City Red after 1 week under solar tubes only.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

"Great things happen when you start to add more light. The heavens open, angels sing and there is Peace on Earth" RockDoc

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon stony reef, 300 gallon softie tank, 120 gallon FW/Orchid tank
Unread 02/20/2009, 03:02 PM   #53
mborn
Registered Member

Nice setup. The tank’s looking great!

mborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2009, 03:19 PM   #54
CRASHJT
Registered Member

Very cool ....do you get the MH shimmer with that setup?

CRASHJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2009, 07:19 PM   #55
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Yes, I get the shimmer, but not quite as strong. But, I get a true dawn and dusk look that you just can't get with MH.

Unread 02/20/2009, 07:58 PM   #56
JMBoehling
Premium Member

Digging it! I'll tell what is really cool to watch skylight lit reefs on a mostly Sunny day when you get a cloud or two to pass by during midday sun. The the effect of the variance in light is pretty intense, kindoff like when your diving or snorkeling

Keep us updated, I following this one all the way.

Jim

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon AGA, Bare Bottom, (02) 10" Skylights, 216 Watts T5HO, (04) 4 watt cree LED's, Deltec AP600 Skimmer
JMBoehling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2009, 07:27 AM   #57
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

OK, Mom's in town for a couple of weeks. Project is on hold until she goes back to Ohio. PC lights are in and temporarily hooked up (sorry Mark). Look great. I'll try to get some pics posted this week. Probably won't get the whole thing completed for at least a month now.

Unread 02/23/2009, 08:15 AM   #58
Ed Ricketts
Registered Member

jd

Great project! can you post your kilowatt usage from this most recent month, compared to a similar period, say last February? Assuming all things being equal otherwise, of course... Energy saver TOTM!

Current Tank Info: 3x33 gal, and a 40 breeder mixed reef system, total system volume 240 gallons, in a greenhouse
Ed Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2009, 02:56 PM   #59
Alaskan Reefer
Registered Member

Amazing...at the very least...

If I could only get the sun to shine long enough in Alaskan winters...

Current Tank Info: 125g FOWLR -- Conversion Back To SPS In Progress
Alaskan Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2009, 03:09 PM   #60
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

OK, today at 4 pm. Sun is a little low, but all of the PC supplements are on. Tonight project....hook up the remainder of the pumps/wavemakers and move the chords to the back of the tank.

2x4's are temporary...just wanted to get the PC's up to the correct elevation above the tank.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Unread 03/02/2009, 09:42 AM   #61
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

OK, quick update. The montiporas and larger clams seemed to respond first. Clams opened up about 20% more in a matter of days. Montis showed improved color in less than a week. Acros....mixed bag. Some have new growth tips, one (A. valida) has better color and a couple of STN. This is another reason I am putting the further changes on hold. A brief timeline:

December (full moon) - Pocillipora spawning event, Montis tanked, Acros PO'd. I lost a handful of frags, but no colonies. About 10% loss on the colonies that were stressed. Took 2-3 weeks before the montis and acros bounced back.

Week between Christmas and New Years - I had swapped out the softie and freshwater tanks in November with the intention of plumbing it in to the main system. I tore down the old frag system and refugium and plumbed everything into the new system. Total plumbing and refugium overhaul. One colony showed some minor STN. All the frags were ticked off at being in a rubbermaid tub for 4 days.

January - collecting season on Sanibel. Added a couple of gorgonians and about 6 different sponges. All to the softie tank which is now part of the overall system. Lost a couple of sponges. During this time, one of my big colonies started to STN from the inside out. (No, I did not put 2 and 2 together) Three different collecting trips over a 5 weekend period.

February 12 - pulled the old light canopy and installed solar tubes.

February 14 - pulled the light diffusers and filters to improve the solar tubes

February 19 - added about 12 inches to each solartube and adjusted the angles for better light distribution in the tank.

February 21 - Got the Tunze going again (main circulation pumps in the main tank were off since Feb 12). During this time frame the main pump was running and a couple of small supplemental powerheads for water flow.

February 22 - Put the PC lights up.

February 28 - Changed 50% of the bulbs in the PC's to increase the amount of actinic. Added Erythremycin to the system to try to stop STN in 4 of my colonies.

With all of these changes is it any wonder why my Acros are STN?

Due to the coral stress issues (and family in town), I have decided to temporarily stop further changes on the tank. I still have to add two more Tunzes and pull out all of the old powerheads. Also want to add a wavebox. Overall, the tank will have better water movement, but it will require me to pull out/rearrange about 25% of the SPS corals located in the top 1/3 of the tank. I want to do this before I frame in the top of the tank. So, until the corals improve....I am done tinkering.

Unread 03/02/2009, 11:28 AM   #62
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

the tank is looking great, looks like its adjusting.

sorry about the stress on the corals, but I am sure your tank will survive this and come back stronger than before.

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
ReefEnabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2009, 01:55 PM   #63
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

A few of the additions from Sanibel. All are doing well.

An interesting sponge. Grows like a lettuce coral.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

A very bright red flame sponge (my favorite)

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Unread 03/09/2009, 04:33 PM   #64
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Well, Mom is flying back to the great white north (Ohio) tomorrow. I decided that I have a Tunze controller for 4 Tunzes, but I only have two. So...I ordered 2 more 6100's. They'll be here tomorrow. This weekends project is to pull the old powerheads out from behind the rocks and replace 4 powerheads with 2 tunzes. I'll move the existing tunzes to the back corners. I plan on getting a wavebox in a couple of weeks to put in the front right corner. I've got a PVC rack supporting the liverock and have it stacked all the way to the top of the tank in the back. I've decided to pull this live rock and just let the corals fill in the back. Anyway, here is a shot from about 1:30 pm yesterday. Coral color is starting to come back.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Unread 03/09/2009, 04:34 PM   #65
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Oh yeah, partly cloudy. PAR at the water line was fairly consistent. 625 to 675

Unread 03/09/2009, 10:45 PM   #66
dougie
Registered Member

very impressive. great work.

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 7x2x2, LED, mp60's. mixed reef.
dougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2009, 04:06 PM   #67
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Got my first full months power bill in today. $150 less!!!! kWh went from 129.1 last year to 93.2 this year.

Next month should really tell the tale though. Had an extra person (mom) in the house for three weeks. Didn't have the PC's hooked up the whole month. Redid the lighting for the frag system and I am currently redoing some of the circulation pumps. Replacing 6 powerheads with 2 tunze's.

Unread 03/17/2009, 04:43 PM   #68
Crawf71
Registered Member

Nice change on the power bill Just wish I lived further south

Current Tank Info: 120g display, 20g sump, 40g refugium. 2x250w DE 14k phoenix
Crawf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2009, 06:39 PM   #69
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Well, over the weekend I pulled all the old powerheads from behind the rocks (all were toast). I added two more Tunze 6100's, for a total of 4 on a controller. Three of the four are behind the rock and one is in the back corner. Also, added a wavebox. While pulling the old powerheads, I went ahead and pulled all of the rock against the back of the tank that was covered in shrooms, palys and yellow polyps. All were stinging my SPS. Also, spread the SPS out a little bit. Sunday, we are framing the "box". I'll take some new "top down" pics and post them at that time.

Unread 03/24/2009, 06:52 PM   #70
CoRPS
Big Time Reefer

Don't know if it was mentioned, but about how much do they charge to have these solatubes installed after parts/labor/beer for the installer?

CoRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2009, 07:01 PM   #71
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Total package is about $4500. But, that includes 2 solar powered ventilation fans, 21 feet of extension and I had some acrylic diffusers made to install later (maybe??) these tubes are the 14-inch tubes. Based on the HD/Lowes varieties, I'm guessing that I have about $1000 in labor. I had a licensed contractor install the tubes. I wanted the warranty on my roof and tubes themselves. This particular installer gave me a 5 year roof warranty and a 10 year product warranty. These are solatube brand. They seem to be thicker and stiffer than the HD/Lowes brand.

Unread 03/24/2009, 07:12 PM   #72
CoRPS
Big Time Reefer

Wow, $4,500

I mean honestly that's not a LOT of money for lighting in a 300g with no electricity. But the upfront amount is pretty daunting.

In real life is it as yellow as it appears in the photos? Kind of like a mix of 6500K and 10000K?

The more I think about it the more I realize how much of a bargain $4,500 is. Especially when you're saving over $150/month in electricity. It'd pay for itself in 2 and a half years, without taking into account the amount of cash you'd have to throw towards new MH/T5 bulbs every 6mos to a year! Wow, I take back my previous statement.

CoRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2009, 07:17 PM   #73
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Don't forget, the fans .... $1250 for both, installed. Also, I have a concrete tile roof. That was extra too.

If I didn't get the fans, have tile roof or have a cathedral ceiling that required extensions, the cost would have been around $3000 (including tax).

Unread 03/24/2009, 07:49 PM   #74
strendo
Premium Member

Your setup is really nice! I'm thinking of installing solar tubes too. My tank is half under a skylight already though, do you think a solar tube would make a big difference?

strendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2009, 07:54 PM   #75
cornhusker85
Registered Member

Looking nice man If you need any help finishing the frame give me a shout Ill come over and help you.

cornhusker85 is offline   Reply With Quote