Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/15/2010, 11:29 PM   #1
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Question Hyposalinity Treatment

Well, I think I may have found a bit of trouble......
In the last couple of days I have noticed an outbreak of what I am almost positive is Ich, having been through this once before and suffering the consequences. It appears to have started on the female bluejaw I picked up last week and she has the most spots but it is also noticeable on the male bluejaw and my dussemeri tang.

There is nothing but fish in my tank right now so I think I would like to try and treat with hyposalinity to try to rid the tank of the parasite. I have never tried this before and could use some advice. First, is it ok to do this in the display as there is only fish. The stock list is:

Bluejaw pair
Dussemiri Tang
Filefish
Mystery Wrasse
Sunburst Anthia
Cleaner Wrasse
Starry Blenny
Assortment of snails, hermits, conch

Will any of these guys suffer if I drop salinity? How low can I go? I am also concerned because I am leaving town for a long while on thursday. Can I leave the salinity levels low for extended periods of time without negative repercussions?

Any advice given on this would be greatly appreciated. Ideas as well. I plan to start tommorrow by exchanging tank water with regular RO/DI water. Currently my salinity is around 1.024

Thanks in advance.

jay

Current Tank Info: One great big empty tank sitting in a room, one smaller tank (with water) in the corner of a room........
Jay508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Doing some reading after posting this and it seems that inverts such as the snails and hermits will be in danger if I don't remove them from the tank while I have lowered levels of salinity. So I am thinking I need to pull as many snails and hermits out of the tank as I can before I drop the salinity to low. I am also reading that I need to drop salinity down to about 1.009. Also it looks that once the last spot of ich is gone on the fish (can vary in how quickly it disappears from fish body) that the treatment needs to continue for about another 4 weeks and then salinity needs to be brought back up to normal levels over an 8 day period, and then another four weeks of observation to make sure the ich is gone. Total time is somewhere near ten to eleven weeks. So I am thinking this will be perfect while I am gone which will be about 14 weeks. Just wondering if all my fish will be ok during this period. Does anyone know if certain species are sensitive to lower levels of salinity?

Thanks

jay

Current Tank Info: One great big empty tank sitting in a room, one smaller tank (with water) in the corner of a room........
Unread 05/16/2010, 02:55 PM   #3
psuedopimp
Registered Member

man i wish i could help you out with info, but ich kicked my ... i am officially fishless.

the only way i can help is to check on it while your out and be your remote hands if you need em

Unread 05/16/2010, 03:08 PM   #4
strayvoltage
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that Justin.

strayvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2010, 03:45 PM   #5
deehz
Registered Member

Here are some threads from the RS forum that have helped me out tremendously. Since I have followed these guidelines, I have not lost a fish yet and quarantine everything for upto 8 weeks. I know its allot of reading, but information is knowledge right? Good luck, Ich is devastating to a tank.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...t-process.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...-problems.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...arine-ich.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...es-treatments/

Sorry had to add this thread which I feel and many in this hobby say is the most important part of this hobby, quarantine.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...step-step.html

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi

Last edited by deehz; 05/16/2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Another thread
deehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2010, 08:28 PM   #6
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Jay – I’m with Justin! It’s my worst fear and why I only have four fish. Too afraid to add any!! Let me know if there is any way I can help you also!

Deehz – Those are some good links that should help. Bookmarked!!!

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
jmait769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2010, 08:49 PM   #7
deehz
Registered Member

JMait,
I lost my fair share of fish to Ich and was on the verge of getting out. I did some more reading and research knowing that I knew I was doing something wrong. Stumbled into RS and this individuals stickies. Read them ALL in one night, followed the instructions, and now, I have not lost a fish. They have really helped tremendously.

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi
deehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 12:16 AM   #8
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Well, Thanks for the input. I certainly have always understood the importance of the QT tank but like most I have chose to ignore the procedure. Trust me, from here on out that will change. But for the here.

Things got noticeably worse overnight and I have made the decision to strip the tank of all fish and put them in a 50 gal QT tank to treat with hyposalinity and let the main tank go fallow. That way I don't have to worry about killing off all living organisms in the DT like inverts, live rock, live sand, etc. This is going to take some work though. I have filled the QT tank tonight and am letting the salt mix overnight. Going to start with a salinity of about 1.02 and drop it over the next three days to about 1.009. I will need to pretty much take all live rock out of tank to catch everyone but will put it back once all fish are out. It is a concern that all fish will co-habitat in the 50 gallon over the next 3-4 months but will address that as I go.

Here is where I may need some help from my fellow club mates/ reefers. I will be leaving on thursday but am hoping that someone can help me keep an eye on my QT. With the recent developments of the ich outbreak and the hypo treatment it may be a bit much for my sister. There will need to be some periodical water changes in both tanks. After about 4 weeks of not seeing any ich spots on the fish in QT the salinity needs to be raised over an 8 day period. and then monitored for another four weeks or so. The DT will need water changes every three weeks or so to help keep water levels under control.

Would anyone or any combination of fellow club members/ local reefers be willing to help me out with these periodical water changes? I would be in major debt to any that is willing to help. I have nice fish right now and would hate to lose them, plus it is my responsibility to make all efforts to keep them alive.

Thanks in advance to all that are willing to help or offer some advice.

jay

Unread 05/17/2010, 06:27 AM   #9
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Jay – I’m more than happy to help. I sent you a PM.

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
Unread 05/17/2010, 08:34 AM   #10
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Thank you, I have responded. I really appreciate it.

Going to spend the morning (probably most of the afternoon as well) tearing down the tank to catch fish. Its going to be tough but needs to be done. From what I have read so far, once I get the fish in QT and drop the salinity to a low level that the ich spots on the fish will disappear pretty fast, doesn't mean that they are gone but it helps the fishes condition. So hopefully (fingers crossed) everyone pulls through this as I think I am getting on it pretty quick.

Thanks again for those that are able and willing to help with my scenario.

Unread 05/17/2010, 12:03 PM   #11
puffin04
S.T.A.R.S VICE P

It is mandatory to maintain the salinity at 1.009! As in you will need to top it off with water all the time since the evaporation will raise the salinity. I will have to admit it is tricky in a small tank to maintain for over a month. If you need any help let me know. Thanks

Steffen Sparks

puffin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 12:28 PM   #12
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Thank you Steffen. I would like to solicit some help from you. Jay is also willing to help me with this mess so it would be really cool if the two of you would be willing to work together to help me get through this. Mostly with weekly water changes and helping to keep an eye on the fishes progress.

The QT tank is just about ready for me to begin the transfer process. The salinity is at 1.017 right now (1.024 in DT). tomorrow I plan to drop it down to about 1.012 and then on wednesday to 1.009. I have not read yet, is there any temperature requirements outside the normal range to consider when treating with hyposalinity?

Thank you

jay

Unread 06/15/2010, 06:24 AM   #13
nmnative
Registered Member

So what is the status of the tank? It seems like you didn't go with the hyposalinity treatment, correct? Did you save all of the fish?

nmnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2010, 06:33 AM   #14
ryan_paskadi
Registered Member

I dont think your snails and hermits will have trouble. They can withstand much larger range of salinity changes becuase they are intertidal.

ryan_paskadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2010, 09:40 AM   #15
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Yea, abandoned the hyposalinity treatment at the last minute. There is a lot to monitor from what I understand during this treatment and since I am not at home till september to monitor it I didn't want to put that stress on anyone but myself.

I decided to try a copper treatment, using cupramine. I raced down to EP to pick some up before I left. However, despite the rush I have not initiated a dosing. The fish, all living in a 55 gallon qt tank, are doing great according to the feedback from my sister. They have not been treated with anything and are not showing signs of any outbreak. I would still like to treat with cupramine anyway.

Steffen, you out there? I may need some assistance...

Unread 06/15/2010, 08:37 PM   #16
Jay508
STARS Vice President

I need to ask for some help from the club. What I need help with is doing a water change on all three of my tanks. My sister is doing a really good job of handling all the feeding/ monitoring/ dosing of the tank but is unable to perform the water changes. I did a change on all tanks before I left but that has been one month ago. Also once the water change is complete on the qt tank my sister is going to initiate the cupramine treatment.
If a few of you are willing to help out with this I would appreciate it. I left a key to my home with Justin before I left. I also left a brand new bucket of salt to be used for any one helping with the water changes. What I need to do is change 5g on my 30g tank, 15g on my 55 qt tank, and 20g on my main display tank.

It can be arranged to stop by the house to pick up salt for anyone willing to help me perform the water changes, there are also 5g jugs for transporting water to my tanks. Once the water is mixed it can be arranged to stop by the house to syphon out the old water and put in the new. My sister is home alot with my niece and also Justin has the key.

Thank you for all that are willing to assist with this project, it means alot to me and my animals. I am always willing to return/ offer the favor to anyone else in need.

Unread 06/15/2010, 08:41 PM   #17
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Also there is a refractometer to be used if need.

Unread 06/15/2010, 10:22 PM   #18
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Jay, Justin, Steffen - I will be back 27 June so let me know if I can help you out.

Jay

Unread 06/16/2010, 06:13 AM   #19
nmnative
Registered Member

I can offer at least three additional five gallon bottles to transport water. If we can do this on a weekend, we can get the di/ro water from the lab I work at that is just down the way from Jay's house. That will be better than going all the way to NMSU for water. Jay, do you have something to mix the salt water in at the house?

nmnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2010, 03:57 PM   #20
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Yea, there are 3 or 4 20 gallon trash cans that can be used for mixing water at my house. If whomever is helping me out you can mix the water at my house or mix somewhere else and bring the water to my house. Either way would be great, it can be worked out (on my end) to do this during the weekend, evening, whenever...

Thanks again.

Unread 06/17/2010, 11:06 AM   #21
psuedopimp
Registered Member

yeah i have the key still. and i am pretty sure everyone has my number. i will be out this weekend, but tues or thurs of next week i can for sure help.

i am assuming we would make up the salt water one day and let it circulate with a heater (maybe not this time of year) for a day then do the water change. or do you do it all at once?

let me know

Unread 06/18/2010, 12:00 AM   #22
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Thanks everyone that is willing to chip in.

I made the spontanous decision today to come home for a couple of days, short trip but allows me to check up on things here at home and check on the NMSU tank as well. I will handle the water changes but will need some help in a couple of weeks, after the cupramine treatment is complete, to do at least two water changes.

I just walked in the door 20 minutes ago and all lights are out but I must say my tanks are looking pretty good with the exception of a dying scoymia (was on the decline when I left), so my sister is doing a great job!!

Now if I could only find a GF capable of managing the tanks......

Unread 06/18/2010, 07:28 AM   #23
psuedopimp
Registered Member

glad everything is going well.

Unread 06/18/2010, 10:09 AM   #24
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Thanks Justin, Im happy too. It takes some of the worry off my shoulders knowing that things are going well with the tanks at home.

Its almost impossible for reefers to have a worry free vacation or work assignment...