Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/11/2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Seaweed Brain
Registered Member

Radion setting for zoas and palys?

I've been running my radions for about 2 months now and everything in my tank looks amazing. except for my zoas and palys. Their colors are great but I've been noticing alot of my colonies have been receding and a few smaller colonies and frags that I had have just melted away. Has anyone else experienced this? I was wondering what settings other people have used with success in keeping their Zs and Ps with the radions. Thanks.

Seaweed Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Mael
Registered Member

not as familiar with radions but they have 2 channels? whites and blues?

On my led unit I run blues around 70-80% and my whites around 15-20%(I am actually just starting to slowly raise the whites for my sps) and all Z's and P's do quite well, some even have more color than when I saw them at the stores, and I get decent polyp production.

Obviously the most important thing are you water parameters, but the lights help as well.

Mael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2014, 08:02 PM   #3
Notquiterite
Registered Member

The radions are powerful lights. What percent intensity do you have them at and how high above is the light?

Notquiterite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2014, 08:20 PM   #4
terrypercula
Registered Member

I would look to either too much light or the water quality not the light itself. Also is it a certain colony doing poorly or all z's and p's in general.

Current Tank Info: IM Nuvo Fusion 10, Kessil A160, Tunze Osmolator 3155, Ecotech Vortech MP10
terrypercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2014, 08:11 AM   #5
Seaweed Brain
Registered Member

I have the radions set at 45% intensity and about 12 inches above the water. its over a 40 breeder and most of my Z's and P's are at the bottom/middle. I'm running the radiant color template on the radion. It seems to be affecting all of my colonies except my Miami vice zoas... I was thinking parameters at first too, especially with the warm weather and the possibility of my tank over heating but everything is within normal ranges

Unread 07/12/2014, 09:24 AM   #6
jamiepm
Registered Member

Make sure you look at the care for each type of zoa and paly you have. Some will melt under high light and need to be shaded while others will do great.

jamiepm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2014, 02:24 PM   #7
Notquiterite
Registered Member

I don't think they should be melting with the light 12 inches above the water at 45% intensity, they are more tolerant than that. Might want to check your water parameters

Notquiterite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 06:39 AM   #8
terrypercula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notquiterite View Post
I don't think they should be melting with the light 12 inches above the water at 45% intensity, they are more tolerant than that. Might want to check your water parameters
Yup check water.

Current Tank Info: IM Nuvo Fusion 10, Kessil A160, Tunze Osmolator 3155, Ecotech Vortech MP10
terrypercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2014, 10:52 AM   #9
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypercula View Post
Yup check water.
I am running radiant color setting at 65% and my zoas are loving it, I would check the water.

bizacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Seaweed Brain
Registered Member

I originally thought my parameters were the main cause as well but everything seems to be good with that. I think I might have actually figured out the reason. I've always had those small aphasia starfish but then never seemed to do anything. But then I noticed a few munching on my colonies so I think a harlequin shrimp is in order.

Bizacon, what size tank do you have your radions over? And how much above the water?

Unread 07/16/2014, 11:09 AM   #11
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweed Brain View Post
I originally thought my parameters were the main cause as well but everything seems to be good with that. I think I might have actually figured out the reason. I've always had those small aphasia starfish but then never seemed to do anything. But then I noticed a few munching on my colonies so I think a harlequin shrimp is in order.

Bizacon, what size tank do you have your radions over? And how much above the water?

I have them on a IM Fusion 40 tank (24x20x19). They are sitting 8.5 inches above the tank. I haven't really gone above 65 intensity yet, really no reason too, but all my zoas love the intensity.

Unread 07/17/2014, 09:51 AM   #12
Seaweed Brain
Registered Member

I might be running it at too low of an intensity I'm thinking. I don't think the lower intensity I'm running them at is really contributing to the melting of the zoas but I think I'll be able to ramp them up a bit. Currently its at 45% at 12 inches above a 40 breeder.

Unread 07/18/2014, 03:20 PM   #13
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweed Brain View Post
I might be running it at too low of an intensity I'm thinking. I don't think the lower intensity I'm running them at is really contributing to the melting of the zoas but I think I'll be able to ramp them up a bit. Currently its at 45% at 12 inches above a 40 breeder.
Just depends on what your zoas like. If you do ramp it up, slowly do it or they will for sure melt away. I have most of mine in the middle and the love it.