Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/04/2007, 09:09 PM   #976
db_triggerfish
Registered Member

I just ordered the 48" 760 watt. Will give update as to condition and color of 10k bulbs with pics when it arrives.

Current Tank Info: AGA 75g RR 6 x 54w T5 overdriven (510w) with 2 x Icecap 660, DAS EX-1 Skimmer, OR 2500, Reefkeeper II
Unread 04/04/2007, 09:27 PM   #977
Noise
Registered Member

My Odyssea 10k's are pretty white. I think they got whiter over time. Does it occur to anyone that their water might be yellow? The blue helps mask the yellow water. Might be hard to find a bulb that has "just enough" blue to mask the yellow and make the tank look white.

Unread 04/04/2007, 09:35 PM   #978
spawn79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Noise
My Odyssea 10k's are pretty white. I think they got whiter over time. Does it occur to anyone that their water might be yellow? The blue helps mask the yellow water. Might be hard to find a bulb that has "just enough" blue to mask the yellow and make the tank look white.
A lot of that has to do with the background color, tank contents, height of the lights, etc. There are many factors that can contribute to the look and feel. And color judgment is very subjective as well. I work for a large copier company and it seems that everyone has their own opinions on what a color looks like.

PS
The color will change over time with any MH bulb as they go through their burn in period which can also very in time depending on conditions.

Unread 04/04/2007, 11:34 PM   #979
King Nine
Registered Member

The fixture comes in two boxes. One for the fixture and one for the ballast.

Current Tank Info: 125 Reef. Photon LED Lighting
Unread 04/04/2007, 11:42 PM   #980
King Nine
Registered Member

I can't wait to see pics of this new bulb you are going to try. What happened to trying the aquatraders??? You sure jumped that ship quick.

Seriously, I hope it looks good. Before I came to the computer and read these I was looking at my tank thinking that it was far from being too blue. It is a great color with the phoenix and the actinics. I might still try the coralife 50/50 instead of the actinics because I'm not thrilled with the flouescents (how in the world do you spell that word?) I get with them. I tried half 50/50 and half aquatrader actinics and that didn't work. I think if I would have just tried all 50/50 it would have went better.

Right now I don't know if there would be a bulb I would trade the Phoenix for but I don't mind you all posting pics and trying it

Unread 04/05/2007, 12:09 AM   #981
King Nine
Registered Member

I just read part of the thread on the reeflux bulbs and wasn't too impressed. OX5, Is there a better section to read than the portion you linked to?I really hope it goes well for you guys. ( I must say I would be awestruck if all I had was the aquatrader free bulb though)

Unread 04/05/2007, 06:16 AM   #982
05Xrunner
Moved On

all the shots of the Reeflux 12k looked really good to me...there was a batch of 10k that had some issues with them making them look pink. I think they since changed that. That thread most of it was older pics from like 2005 and such.

Unread 04/05/2007, 07:52 AM   #983
ceramik
Registered Member

king nine, i was going to switch out the pc with aquatraders pc 50/50 also.was it not white or bright enough?

Unread 04/05/2007, 08:20 AM   #984
King Nine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ceramik
king nine, i was going to switch out the pc with aquatraders pc 50/50 also.was it not white or bright enough?
I tried to only switch two of the of them instead of all four. The brightness difference was huge and left shadows where the actinics were. Just for fun I also tried them all on the left and all actincs on the right. Here are the pics from when I did it while using the old 10k aquatraders MH.

Without MH on

With 10k Aquatrader MH on

I think the actinic bulbs are too "drab" The don't seem to make things glow like I would like. The Phoenix is what makes my tank glow now. I've also noticed the metalic green of the star polyps and frogspawn much better at night with only my moon lights on. Unfortunately they all close up at night so that is very short lived.

Unread 04/05/2007, 08:20 AM   #985
GSMguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 05Xrunner
all the shots of the Reeflux 12k looked really good to me...there was a batch of 10k that had some issues with them making them look pink. I think they since changed that. That thread most of it was older pics from like 2005 and such.

melev has been using them and says the pink still comes thru on some bulbs when they arent pink people love them so good luck.

Unread 04/05/2007, 08:22 AM   #986
05Xrunner
Moved On

It seems the pink color was comming from the bulbs with a white ends on the inside of the bulb..from that 40page thread I read alot having some pink hue with the 10k..I never heard anyone with the 12k have any pink issue.

Unread 04/05/2007, 08:23 AM   #987
GSMguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by King Nine
I tried to only switch two of the of them instead of all four. The brightness difference was huge and left shadows where the actinics were. Just for fun I also tried them all on the left and all actincs on the right. Here are the pics from when I did it while using the old 10k aquatraders MH.

Without MH on

With 10k Aquatrader MH on

I think the actinic bulbs are too "drab" The don't seem to make things glow like I would like. The Phoenix is what makes my tank glow now. I've also noticed the metalic green of the star polyps and frogspawn much better at night with only my moon lights on. Unfortunately they all close up at night so that is very short lived.
why are you using the glasss top all that is doing is cutting off O2 and reflecting all that light and trapping heat making ph swing wildly i would ditch the glass top
tank looks good otherwise what do you have for flow?

Unread 04/05/2007, 08:23 AM   #988
King Nine
Registered Member

Just for grins, here is the tank with the phoenix and actinics on. I don't have the 50/50s to try with the phoenix though. Kfowler has some good shots showing the difference.

Unread 04/05/2007, 08:25 AM   #989
rcollick
Registered Member

Ok so I got my new fixture last week and decided to switch out the stock bulbs for phoenix 14k. When I installed them the ceramic ends broke off. The part that broke is the ceramic part that makes so you dont install the bulb upside down. Not only did one brake both bulbs did the same think. Do you think it was just my carelessness? The only thing is I have taken the stock bulbs in and out several times and no problems. Now I really have to mess with them to get them to fire and sometimes they just wont fire. Do you think I ruined the bulbs? I am going to be so mad if I just spent $140 on new bulbs and they are no good now. This also makes me nervious about buying 2 more. Any thoughts guys?

Unread 04/05/2007, 08:29 AM   #990
King Nine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
why are you using the glasss top all that is doing is cutting off O2 and reflecting all that light and trapping heat making ph swing wildly i would ditch the glass top
tank looks good otherwise what do you have for flow?
Those are older pics but I only see a 2 to 3 degree swing if I use the glass or not. I'm still trying to figure out what works best for mine. If I leave it all off my water doesn't look crystal clear. I think dust from the air gets in the water. If I put the glass on the problem goes away. I bought some egg crate but don't think that will solve it either. I am using half glass right now. The front third is open and the tank stays around 78 or 79.

For flow is a mag 1200 return and I have three 1" over flows.

Unread 04/05/2007, 08:30 AM   #991
King Nine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcollick
Ok so I got my new fixture last week and decided to switch out the stock bulbs for phoenix 14k. When I installed them the ceramic ends broke off. The part that broke is the ceramic part that makes so you dont install the bulb upside down. Not only did one brake both bulbs did the same think. Do you think it was just my carelessness? The only thing is I have taken the stock bulbs in and out several times and no problems. Now I really have to mess with them to get them to fire and sometimes they just wont fire. Do you think I ruined the bulbs? I am going to be so mad if I just spent $140 on new bulbs and they are no good now. This also makes me nervious about buying 2 more. Any thoughts guys?
I dont' think it is you if you don't have probs with the other bulb. Can the ceramic be super glued?

Unread 04/05/2007, 08:35 AM   #992
GSMguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Those are older pics but I only see a 2 to 3 degree swing if I use the glass or not. I'm still trying to figure out what works best for mine. If I leave it all off my water doesn't look crystal clear. I think dust from the air gets in the water. If I put the glass on the problem goes away. I bought some egg crate but don't think that will solve it either. I am using half glass right now. The front third is open and the tank stays around 78 or 79.

For flow is a mag 1200 return and I have three 1" over flows.
egg crate is one thing, but dust you should have a skimmer or filter to get that out of the water

i think leaving the glass on is still going to reflect allot of light but im crazy about light penetration thats why im on my 4th light setup in two years , my theory is you paid for all the light, you pay for the electricity,after spending all that money better make sure your tank is efficent all the way around

Unread 04/05/2007, 08:50 AM   #993
rcollick
Registered Member

Quote:
I dont' think it is you if you don't have probs with the other bulb. Can the ceramic be super glued?
No, the pieces fell in the tank never to be seen again. What are the chances of getting 2 more bulbs and the same thing happening.

Unread 04/05/2007, 09:00 AM   #994
agsansoo
Premium Member

Quote:
I can't wait to see pics of this new bulb you are going to try. What happened to trying the aquatraders??? You sure jumped that ship quick.
I jumped ship because, there I was sitting at my desk at work looking at the refund money I received (PayPal) from www.illuming.com for the 14K Phoenix they didn't have ... Remembering how yellow and green my tank looked ... So I wanted to try something different ASAP !

As for the pink ... It's better than yellow . LOL (besides I think ReefLux has fix the problem)

Unread 04/05/2007, 09:06 AM   #995
Rick2203
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcollick
No, the pieces fell in the tank never to be seen again. What are the chances of getting 2 more bulbs and the same thing happening.
same thing happened to me i broke the ceramic tab off the Phoenix 14k but that was my fault bacause i was manhandling te bulb trying to put it in. but it works perfectly.

Unread 04/05/2007, 09:07 AM   #996
05Xrunner
Moved On

did you go with the 10k or 12k reeflux
as for the pink it was mainly in the 10k bulb. I dont think anyone had a pinkish problem with the 12k reeflux..I will be ordering mine tomorrow.

here are some 12k tank shots from that thread

Unread 04/05/2007, 09:12 AM   #997
rcollick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick2203
same thing happened to me i broke the ceramic tab off the Phoenix 14k but that was my fault bacause i was manhandling te bulb trying to put it in. but it works perfectly.
Did you have to make any adjustments at all or did it still pop in just like it was supposed to? Also did you just break one end of the ceramic or both? Maybe it was those few cocktails before that caused me to break both ends of both bulbs.

Unread 04/05/2007, 09:15 AM   #998
Rick2203
Registered Member

i just broke one end off it popped back in place with no problem i took it easy after seein how easy the little cap popped, but it snapped right in place, no problem at all, just make sure you use a papertowel or gloves when handling the bulbs, you dont want no oils from your hands to touch it, or it will burn out when you fire it up.

Unread 04/05/2007, 09:42 AM   #999
King Nine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 05Xrunner
did you go with the 10k or 12k reeflux
as for the pink it was mainly in the 10k bulb. I dont think anyone had a pinkish problem with the 12k reeflux..I will be ordering mine tomorrow.

here are some 12k tank shots from that thread

Those are pretty and they are the ones I did like while looking at a few pages of that thread. I thought they looked bluer than mine and even a touch pink. I know that pictures can be deceiving and everyones eyes are different as well. That just seems more blue to me than the Phoenix. (I do think it is gorgeous though)

On a side note, when I run my Phoenix's without the actinics I notice a slightly purple to pink hue myself.

Unread 04/05/2007, 09:42 AM   #1000
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1090216

Closed Thread