Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2018, 03:20 AM   #1
Moorin
Registered Member

200 gallon reef build

Hi everyone,

First time posting on the forum as I have to play catch up compared to the other tank threads I have elsewhere that have a good amount of content.

Without uploading the same stuff for you to see I thought I would start off with some videos instead as we all love videos!

I have started with my saltwater mixing station and will discuss the tank later today when the lights come on. Any questions or if you want more videos just ask as this one was a one shot type deal and a little ropey to say the least.

[MEDIA=youtube]MgmRm3gKxeY[/MEDIA]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 11:34 AM   #2
Moorin
Registered Member

So as promised here is the second video with a bit of a build breakdown for you all.

Any questions etc please don’t hesitate to ask!

https://youtu.be/x2DCA0XM8mQ

Unread 08/15/2018, 07:03 AM   #3
McPuff
Registered Member

Wow, that is a great looking system so far!!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2018, 02:23 AM   #4
Moorin
Registered Member

Another little video for you guys to take a look at.

Just an update with a few little changes that I will be going into more details later on in another video.

https://youtu.be/GWNUNro0VxU

Unread 09/01/2018, 07:09 AM   #5
speedstar
Registered Member

embedded ~ use {youtube} {/youtube} with brackets instead of parenthesis.

speedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2019, 02:38 AM   #6
Moorin
Registered Member

Suppose i had better start updating this build thread more often! not a great deal has changed apart from some more livestock and issues with this been a new tank. Before i list all the inhabitants that i currently have to keep you guys upto date i have had my fair share of problems to overcome. The main issue with the tank is that although parameters are stable i am still 99% positive that i am still leeching silicate out of the rock and sand. I cannot remember what i have spoken about on the tank since the last video above but i currently have three neptune WAV's and a XF250 gyre on the tank, i have tried to keep the flow around 50x turnover including the sump which has been so far sucessful. The problem is that although i thought my 1-3mm sand would hold up to high flow it was still slowly moving and forming dunes in the tank which always required scraping back on a regular basis, this wasnt a problem as it was helping to keep the substrate turned over and clean but i had mini whirlpools forming in the front corners of the tank so this had to be rectified to stop a snow globe from forming! I have since added crushed coral in some of the higher flow areas which again hasnt helped with the phosphate/silica issue but i am holding the tank where it is progress wise until everything settles down and i can then add more corals. My aquaforest af150 reactor has to be honest been rubbish, it is high maintenance and the seal in the top lid has already gone hard so most of the flow enters the top of the reactor and doesnt flow down the inlet tube. this coupled with difficulty obtaining spares and the sponges getting clogged very easily has led to poor nutrient control. I have since swapped that out for a D-D reactor which is way better and with a smaller footprint has opened up more space in the cabinet. I have also started to test the effluent from the reactor to keep a better track on my phosphates but so far so good! Apart from those few issues though the tank is doing good and everyday is a school day!

so here is the list of livestock i have:

2 common clowns
7 blue/green reef chromis
9 wreckfish (lyretail anthias) 2 male and 7 female
5 bangai cardinals
1 purple tang
2 yellow tangs
1 foxface
1 black chin orange diamond goby
1 dwarf flame angel
2 cleaner shrimp
3 red leg hermits
10-15 various snails

3 acro frags (uncertain of names)
2 monti cap frags
1 gold/purple torch
1 duncan frag
1 green torch frag

stay tuned for more updates and pictures!

Unread 01/05/2019, 02:39 AM   #7
Moorin
Registered Member

Here is the most recent full tank shot, the gyre has since made its way onto the Right hand side of the tank to join the WAV for some gyre action across where the LPS is. Still trying to dial in more flow without creating a sand storm which is very challenging!

I need to crack out the DLSR and get some proper pictures as the old iPhone isn’t cutting it at the moment!

I have also been playing with my lighting, dosing, feeding and refugium so will record another video soon detailing what I have been upto as it saves you guys having to read hundreds of words with no pictures! And nobody likes not having pictures haha