Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2018, 03:21 PM   #26
Greg 45
Registered Member

Can you please list the parameters of the tank.

Greg 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 05:29 PM   #27
cFloor
Registered Member

Yessss! Thanks so much for starting this thread. Absolutely amazing and I'm looking forward to following along

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 05:31 PM   #28
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

John, your tank, fish room and basement area is absolutely stunning! I've always been a huge huge admirer of you tank and your gorgeous gorgeous fish!!

I'm over the moon you've decided to start a thread here and I will be reading every update like it's the word of god

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 05:47 PM   #29
Ucantwin
Registered Member

I don't look through the sps forum much anymore and only click on the alerts from old threads. I am glad today I took a look and found your thread. Your tank and the whole build looks absolutely amazing!

After not dosing kalk for a while and then starting it again to raise ph. Did you actually notice a difference in the tank or growth with the higher ph?

Last edited by Ucantwin; 02/18/2018 at 06:59 PM.
Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 06:12 PM   #30
SBV
Registered Member

Stunning. Absolutely stunning!!

Current Tank Info: 120 LPS RR, 40 gal. fuge
SBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 07:12 PM   #31
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copps View Post
Thanks guys!

Abhishek, there are times where I stand above the tank and look what I created, and it feels like it's not mine. I cannot explain the amount of effort that went into this... I glued every pipe... placed every rock... mounted every coral... it's a bit frightening sometimes to see the world I've created and realize I'm in charge of it. I've planned my forever system since I was a kid... and it's nice finally having it... along with our forever house... knowing that whatever you do you will be able to ideally enjoy it for years to come. I will absolutely take a video soon... after my next scheduled Kydex swapout (which I'll explain later)... until then I have plenty more to share... something I haven't shown is the theater we had put in across the room in 2016. I carried over the same stone I used around from the aquariums for the pillars in the theater...

My four grandparents were Italian, and it took some convincing the wife, but I added many Italian elements into the space... including a looong slab of Italian marble with a waterfall edge that's natural and contemprary... just the way my wife and I like it... and gray is my favorite color...

Here you can see the tank in relation to the theater... disregard the 1300 as it's completely washed out in this shot, but you get the idea...

Water has been my life since I was a child... I grew up in Northern New Jersey on an island on a lake... we water skied and fished when the lake wasn't frozen... including barefooting... my older brother was the New Jersey State barefoot champion in 1987... and in the winter we played ice hockey... I played Tier 1 mite through midget and went on to play Junior hockey for the Washington Junior Capitals... I also grew up snow skiing in the winter and ski raced for my high school team... and of course I love the ocean and diving... so, we tried to tie water into the theme without going to overboard... another Italian element is the Italian tile we used underneath shaped like with waves...

Even the sconces for the theater were wave inspired...

And this is what happens when you have a hard core reefer do theater lighting... I won't show the 50,000 possible color combinations... but you get the idea... my daughter loves turning it pink when she has all of her friends over...

But when I have my reefing buddies over of course our favorite is... turning on the actinics...

Copps
Once again, I am your son with his jaw hanging open!
That certainly is a dream Home theatre/tank room.
Love marble and the wave tiles.. among many things..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 07:26 PM   #32
hatfielj
Registered Member

2 words...

HOLY CRAP!

hatfielj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 08:44 PM   #33
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Pm sent

Unread 02/18/2018, 08:55 PM   #34
JMetaxas
Registered Member

Incredible tank !!

If you don't mind me asking, what might be your electric bill?

JMetaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 08:19 AM   #35
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

The whole story and build is just great, thanks for sharing with us. Out of all the parts of this build to ooh and ahh over I am just in love with the huge school of anthias! As you said, nothing says reef better, just so dang cool. They have got to be amazing to see swimming in and out of the acro branches.

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 12:23 PM   #36
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copps View Post
Thanks guys!

Abhishek, there are times where I stand above the tank and look what I created, and it feels like it's not mine. I cannot explain the amount of effort that went into this... I glued every pipe... placed every rock... mounted every coral... it's a bit frightening sometimes to see the world I've created and realize I'm in charge of it. I've planned my forever system since I was a kid... and it's nice finally having it... along with our forever house... knowing that whatever you do you will be able to ideally enjoy it for years to come. I will absolutely take a video soon... after my next scheduled Kydex swapout (which I'll explain later)... until then I have plenty more to share... something I haven't shown is the theater we had put in across the room in 2016. I carried over the same stone I used around from the aquariums for the pillars in the theater...

My four grandparents were Italian, and it took some convincing the wife, but I added many Italian elements into the space... including a looong slab of Italian marble with a waterfall edge that's natural and contemprary... just the way my wife and I like it... and gray is my favorite color...

Here you can see the tank in relation to the theater... disregard the 1300 as it's completely washed out in this shot, but you get the idea...

Water has been my life since I was a child... I grew up in Northern New Jersey on an island on a lake... we water skied and fished when the lake wasn't frozen... including barefooting... my older brother was the New Jersey State barefoot champion in 1987... and in the winter we played ice hockey... I played Tier 1 mite through midget and went on to play Junior hockey for the Washington Junior Capitals... I also grew up snow skiing in the winter and ski raced for my high school team... and of course I love the ocean and diving... so, we tried to tie water into the theme without going to overboard... another Italian element is the Italian tile we used underneath shaped like with waves...

Even the sconces for the theater were wave inspired...

And this is what happens when you have a hard core reefer do theater lighting... I won't show the 50,000 possible color combinations... but you get the idea... my daughter loves turning it pink when she has all of her friends over...

But when I have my reefing buddies over of course our favorite is... turning on the actinics...

Copps
Thank you for the pics . It's an amazing big treat for anyone to sit in that 5 star theatre . I hope sometimes you get God Complex seeing what an amazing creation you have created .

May be I have missed but wanna know how do you mai rain flow in this ginormous reef ?

Man , someday if time is right - I would just like to travel and visit your home to just wrap my head around this monster !!!

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 04:07 PM   #37
biecacka
Registered Member

John, very beautiful tank and house. I love the large variation of fish in the tank as well. I do however have one question for you and it is; you stated on page 1 "just say no to detritus" and showed the epoxied sand around the rocks. Is all of your sand epoxied or just in the areas surrounding the rocks?

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 08:00 PM   #38
Stickboy97
Registered Member

WOW! I will totally be using your thread as a bargaining tool with my wife! This will make convincing her I need a 220g and fish room easy! LOL

Beautiful set-up!!!

Unread 02/19/2018, 08:10 PM   #39
Fredfish
Registered Member

Stunning! How do you deal with humidity in the fish room?

Unread 02/19/2018, 09:18 PM   #40
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreefster View Post
This site is full of incredible build threads but this one takes things to a whole new level. Your attention to detail, artistry in aquascaping, husbandry techniques and boldness to undertake a project of such magnitude is inspiring and commendable. Thank you for sharing and I hope you continue to share your progress.
Wow... thank you... those four things you mentioned are spot on... I could not sum it up better in four things as you just did... the first, attention to detail, I grew up hearing more than anything else, and has helped me tremendously in this hobby. My father was an Air Force pilot who flew over 200 combat missions in Vietnam, and fortunately for me survived. His father, and my grandfather, was killed in World War II when my father was just two years old. Despite growing up poor, thanks to my grandmother, and some very great role models that filled in for my grandfather, my father excelled and ended up retiring as a Boeing 777 Captain. He's now in his 70s taking it easy, and when I'm on travel he's the one who takes care of my systems... in more ways than one, he's earned the term "Senior Aquarist". I owe so much to him... way to go Pop...

Quote:
artistry in aquascaping, husbandry techniques
I've always said this hobby has two sometimes very different skills/talents... one is the technical aspect... water quality... system design... things like that... but often overlooked is the artistic side of this hobby... our aquariums are our canvas, and our corals and rocks are our paints... some people kick butt on the technical side but don't know how to paint! Other paint so well, yet all the paint dies because they cannot keep it alive! Husbandry is very important too... I keep a whiteboard with all of the husbandry I perform and the dates. There are too many unknown things in this hobby... keeping a routine on things helped whittle down possible problems.

Quote:
boldness to undertake a project of such magnitude is inspiring and commendable.
Again summed up so well... it took some stones to plan all this... and I'm married! Without having so much experience, and so many good friends in the public aquarium world that have done similar things (yet with employees and someone else's money... something I kind of overlooked ), I would not have been able to pull this off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom obrecht View Post
I think the only question yet to ask is...when can I move in!!��
First two questions for the interview...

1. Can you carry a 200 gallon box of salt?
2. Can you carry a full 5 gallon bucket of B-ionic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 45 View Post
Can you please list the parameters of the tank.
Temp: 76-79
pH: 7.8-8.0
Alk: (the only thing I test regularly) 8-9 dKH
Nitrates: low single digits... usually around 1
Phoshpates: 0.05 to 0.12

Copps

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only

Last edited by copps; 02/19/2018 at 09:24 PM.
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 09:35 PM   #41
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
I don't look through the sps forum much anymore and only click on the alerts from old threads. I am glad today I took a look and found your thread. Your tank and the whole build looks absolutely amazing!

After not dosing kalk for a while and then starting it again to raise ph. Did you actually notice a difference in the tank or growth with the higher ph?
I'm almost positive I did notice a difference... yet I realize it's very hard to say... I've always gotten good growth rates but since kalk they've really gone nuts... thus the time to chop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMetaxas View Post
Incredible tank !!

If you don't mind me asking, what might be your electric bill?
In the winter it runs about $350 to $400, and in the heat of the summer when our rates go it's about double that. The big draw from my system is the lighting... I use all DC pumps, and my heat pumps almost never turn on as I run my frag tanks and refugium overnight... heating and chilling 2000 gallons of water costs a ridiculous amount, so I'm happy to have found a sweet spot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdad View Post
The whole story and build is just great, thanks for sharing with us. Out of all the parts of this build to ooh and ahh over I am just in love with the huge school of anthias! As you said, nothing says reef better, just so dang cool. They have got to be amazing to see swimming in and out of the acro branches.
The cool thing is just seeing natural behavior of so many fish like I see when I dive in the wild... so many times in smaller systems fish just swim around running the glass... it's cool to see them in a system where they can choose an area they want to be...

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
Unread 02/19/2018, 09:49 PM   #42
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Thank you for the pics . It's an amazing big treat for anyone to sit in that 5 star theatre . I hope sometimes you get God Complex seeing what an amazing creation you have created .

May be I have missed but wanna know how do you mai rain flow in this ginormous reef ?
Not really God Complex... but I believe we have a moral obligation to give all of our animals the best shot at thriving that we could...

I have three Ecotech Vectra L1 return pumps... two feed the 1300 and the third feeds the mixed reef, two frag tanks, and refugium. Most of the flow in the 1300 comes form six Vortech MP60s. Each frag tank has three MP40s, and the mixed reef has just two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
John, very beautiful tank and house. I love the large variation of fish in the tank as well. I do however have one question for you and it is; you stated on page 1 "just say no to detritus" and showed the epoxied sand around the rocks. Is all of your sand epoxied or just in the areas surrounding the rocks?

Yes... leaving the sand loose in areas I can get to with a gravel vacuum every few months allows it to always look white and clean... If I had epoxied everything it would be grown over in algae within a few weeks... I also get the help of many sea cucumbers to turn it over and keep the detritus in suspension.

Corey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickboy97 View Post
WOW! I will totally be using your thread as a bargaining tool with my wife! This will make convincing her I need a 220g and fish room easy! LOL

Beautiful set-up!!!
As I said before... it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredfish View Post
Stunning! How do you deal with humidity in the fish room?
It's explained on the first page... I have a 105 pint per day dehumidifier, a dedicated 1 1/2 ton minisplit AC/ heater, and a variable speed exhaust fan in the fish room.

More pics coming this weekend...

Thanks again all,

Copps

Last edited by copps; 02/19/2018 at 10:13 PM.
Unread 02/20/2018, 09:16 AM   #43
dodgerblew
Registered Member

John, if I haven't shared enough of my admiration for you and your knowledge and complete focus on details before this thread, let me tell you this has certainly cemented my admiration in stone. You Sir, are the Paul McCartney of the reefing world. Incredible! Thank you John for giving us a glimpse into your world and mind.

Obladi Oblada, life goes on Brah!

Current Tank Info: Tankless in TX and watching from the sidelines
dodgerblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 12:19 PM   #44
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblew View Post
John, if I haven't shared enough of my admiration for you and your knowledge and complete focus on details before this thread, let me tell you this has certainly cemented my admiration in stone. You Sir, are the Paul McCartney of the reefing world. Incredible! Thank you John for giving us a glimpse into your world and mind.
Couldn't agree more !!!! You are The One True GODFATHER of the reefing world .

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 05:18 PM   #45
racerw
Registered Member

Hey John. Amazing as always. Phenomenal growth and great color!!

Unread 02/20/2018, 08:49 PM   #46
biecacka
Registered Member

John, if Tom can't carry the salt boxes and or a full 5 gallon bucket of b-ionic, I'll take his place in the spare bedroom. I can carry both!

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 09:47 PM   #47
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
John, if Tom can't carry the salt boxes and or a full 5 gallon bucket of b-ionic, I'll take his place in the spare bedroom. I can carry both!

Corey
I have no problem carrying salt and buckets! I’ll even vacuum the floors!

Unread 02/21/2018, 04:14 PM   #48
Editour2
Frank

Unbelievable and inspirational.....

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 11:23 PM   #49
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Incredible build thread, John! I love all your attention to details and gonzo commitment to the hobby!

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 08:15 AM   #50
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Wow tank is huge, following along.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote