Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/05/2013, 11:02 AM   #26
jroovers
Registered Member

Wow, nice shots Bernie! Looking good on my end, well done.

Unread 01/05/2013, 01:20 PM   #27
westreef
Lost as usual

Hi Sahin,
Lagoon Blue is a new bulb from Giesemann, not too many vendors carry it. In fact, I only found one vendor during Thanksgiving and it was on sale for promotion sake. Few days ago, I found my favorite LFS also using it in one of his new display tanks. In general, it is very close to ATI AquaBlue Special or Giesemann AquaBlue+ in look. Compared to Coral+, it is crispy white. Coral + has a tint of purplish color.
It is difficult to get a good picture to show the difference. Finally, I shot it in RAW and got a better but not perfect color comparision. If you want the vendor's name, please pm me. It even has the light spectrum for most of the bulbs for comparison.

Top to bottom (Front to back):
Coral +
RB (redone using solderless connections, all royal blues, better heat sink and shorter spacing)
Lagoon Blue
RB
Blue +

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator
westreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2013, 01:27 PM   #28
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Many thanks for the very useful info and photo. I think I will buy Coral+ tubes next time. I did look at the spectral plot of the Lagoonblue and thought it might look similar to the ABSpecial.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2013, 01:36 PM   #29
westreef
Lost as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Dolphin View Post
great looking tank
Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroovers View Post
Wow, nice shots Bernie! Looking good on my end, well done.
Hi Jordan, you are one of the best in shooting corals. I am just learning how to do a decent job. I am still trying. Thanks for the tips you gave me. I find them very useful.

Bernie

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator
Unread 01/06/2013, 01:12 PM   #30
westreef
Lost as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Many thanks for the very useful info and photo. I think I will buy Coral+ tubes next time. I did look at the spectral plot of the Lagoonblue and thought it might look similar to the ABSpecial.
Sahin, you wouldn't go wrong with Coral+. I have seen colorful corals with just Coral+ and Blue + tubes.

Unread 02/13/2013, 12:33 PM   #31
westreef
Lost as usual

My son took these two cute pictures while he visited me during Christmas. Just want to share with you. Enjoy!

Unread 02/13/2013, 04:15 PM   #32
jroovers
Registered Member

Two terrific shots - kudos to your son! Both are composed fantasticly.

Unread 02/13/2013, 09:21 PM   #33
westreef
Lost as usual

Thanks, Jordan. My son loves to take photos.

Unread 09/21/2013, 02:45 PM   #34
William_916
Registered Member

I really like your sps just beautful

William_916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2013, 02:02 PM   #35
westreef
Lost as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_916 View Post
I really like your sps just beautful
Thanks.

Recently I had a mini-crash with some SPS corals having STN. So some nice size corals now reduced to small frags. It is better now.

Unread 09/25/2013, 04:57 AM   #36
BryceHS
Registered Member

Your tank is looking great, the STN is a bit depressing, but glad it's over now, your SPS look great

BryceHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2013, 12:59 PM   #37
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

How are the corals doing? Hope all is well enough for some new photos.

Unread 11/09/2013, 01:47 PM   #38
westreef
Lost as usual

Hi Sahin, as you know I had STN in my tank. Many colonies became small frags. So far I still have a little bit of STN in one coral. I think I will wait for a few more months to post some photos.
I love your recent new thread -- beautiful corals. Your water parameters must be close to perfect. Make sure you record the parameters for future reference.

Unread 11/09/2013, 02:05 PM   #39
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westreef View Post
Hi Sahin, as you know I had STN in my tank. Many colonies became small frags. So far I still have a little bit of STN in one coral. I think I will wait for a few more months to post some photos.
I love your recent new thread -- beautiful corals. Your water parameters must be close to perfect. Make sure you record the parameters for future reference.
Hi, where you mentioned some colonies reduced to frags, I imagined a few (3-4), but it sounds like a bit more than that.

Do you know what caused the crash? I had one or two base recession some months ago when I tried to use GAC again...I quickly took it offline, fed my tank a bit more and things recovered quickly within two weeks.

Whenever I have SPS troubles, I have always found that the one thing that works wonders is a simple water change. I start carrying out 20% water changes at least twice a week. That sorts issues out for me always.

I have at least 6 empty salt buckets which hold about 18 litres each. My tank is about 180 litres. So its easy to mix up 10% in each bucket. With the remaining empty ones old water goes in them so its easy to do the water changes without too much measuring etc.

At times I have carried out 40% when things are really bad. The way I have done my plumbing from display to sump is that I can isolate each and have water flowing in each. So I remove 40% water, let the display continue for 8 hours or so by itself and the sump gets the newly mixed water, which I further let it get mixed by the action of the skimmer etc.

Never had issues from doing such large water changes this way.

Perhaps you can try something like this?

As for my tank, NO3=2ppm and PO4=0.04ppm, nothing special there. I think its because the tank is 1 year old now that colours are coming through on the SPS.

Unread 11/09/2013, 10:13 PM   #40
westreef
Lost as usual

Thanks for the advice.
I did accelerate water change frequency to 20% water volume each week for about 4 weeks and indeed it gradually slow down the problem. I still don't know exactly why the STN started. Even my favorite lfs could not give me a satisfactory answer.
The colonies affected were Red Planet, Miami Orchid, Nesuta, Pink Lemonade, Cali Tort and Bali Slimer. Now looks like it is almost stop -- have my fingers crossed.

Unread 04/12/2014, 04:55 AM   #41
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

How is the tank doing now Bernie? Its been nearly 6 months...any chance of photos of the corals now?

Unread 04/12/2014, 12:36 PM   #42
westreef
Lost as usual

Hi Sahin, hope everything is well with you.
My tank is doing fine now for awhile. Most SPS corals are small frags after the STN incidence.
I will post some pictures in a month or so. Thanks for thinking about my tank.

Unread 04/12/2014, 01:34 PM   #43
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westreef View Post
Hi Sahin, hope everything is well with you.
My tank is doing fine now for awhile. Most SPS corals are small frags after the STN incidence.
I will post some pictures in a month or so. Thanks for thinking about my tank.
No problem. Just happy for you that the corals are doing better.

Like myself, you were one of the first adopters of a T5/LED hybrid lighting and you actually built a pretty neat unit. So I'm wanting to see what sort of result you are having.

Look forward to an update when the corals are ready.

Unread 07/23/2014, 09:03 PM   #44
westreef
Lost as usual

Update

It has been a while to post some pictures of the corals. Almost every summer, I have STN on some corals. So far, it is holding good. I have my fingers crossed.

An Unknown Acro

Pink Stylophora cat paw

Ice Fire

Huge Bazooka Joe, about 7" across

Pohnape Bird's Nest

Utra Pink Milli

Rose Milli

Red Planet, small frag saved after STN

Unknown Acro

Marshal Island Green and Purple Acro

Unread 07/24/2014, 11:51 AM   #45
westreef
Lost as usual

A few more pictures

Nasuta

Magnified shot of the above Milli

Many of these are tiny frags of about 3/4" to 1" size, recently acquired. Hopefully the colors will develop a bit better.

Unread 07/24/2014, 12:02 PM   #46
westreef
Lost as usual

Some more

Unknown Acro, but nice

Surf & Turf ?

Unread 07/26/2014, 11:05 AM   #47
westreef
Lost as usual

War between Tort and Bazooka Joe

As you can see, Bazooka Joe is winning. It wraps around the tort. But this tort still growing with reasonable PE.
I have a bigger and the same tort at another part of the tank. I will like to see how this war plays out in a few months.

Unread 10/19/2014, 12:41 PM   #48
westreef
Lost as usual

Current FTS

Time to update the FTS.
Used to have many STN after summer vacation. However, this year, no major issues after 17-day of out of the country.

Unread 10/19/2014, 01:07 PM   #49
markalot

Excellent! Another thread I missed, so thanks for posting an update. Great to see old tanks with so much growth!

Unread 10/19/2014, 01:47 PM   #50
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Looking sweet! So nice to see a matured tank full of corals I was wondering when you'd update again.

Do those SPS sting each other??? Good to see so much growth going on there...can see quite a few frags on the rack. All good signs.