Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/16/2017, 12:52 PM   #10351
lucky8drummer
Registered Member

Hello everyone,
I am just starting out in the saltwater area. I have had freshwater fish all my life but just got the 32 gallon biocube to start out with. I look forward to discussing the journey ahead.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lucky8drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2017, 03:09 PM   #10352
Vogiechic
Registered Member

Hi all,
Im Lorie, I'm a newborn saltwater baby. I've been creeping on here for a few months trying to soak up some knowledge before I attempted to join in. Can't say that I'm being crazy successful so far with my tank. I have a 55 gallon saltwater system, using the filter that came with the tank, with live rock and sand, two fire fish, two blue green damsels (soon to be deceased☹️) a red star, who lost a leg when I recently added the then, three damsels, and several snails and crabs. I had several fish a few months ago but one of my clowns got ick, so I used the ick remedy my Lfs gave me and EVERYTHING DIED within a day of that except my star and two fire fish. I added a UV sterilizer right after that and just last week added the three blue greens and within a few days one of them developed a sore around his gill and was gone by morning. Never found a corpse. My crabs are pretty savage. Then my star got sick and tossed a leg. Today one of the other blues has a sore coming up. 😡 I'm beginning to lose a little faith in my lfs. I'm guess my next investment needs to be a quarantine tank? But I have to stress that I'm super saltwater dumb. I don't have any fancy goodies and really just want a few good fish and a healthy tank.
Thanks for letting me be a part of this group. Maybe I'll get better at this eventually. Oh and btw- what is the best way to deal with the two blues who are showing signs of illness?
Thanks all!!! -Lorie

Vogiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2017, 04:30 PM   #10353
Vogiechic
Registered Member

Blue damsels of death

Well after a little more board searching I think I've found my blue damsel problem. Uronema marinum, which I guess is the explaination for why brand new fish got ill so quickly. Must have been harboring it for the last 6 months since my first tank fish were blue chromis. 🙄 I suppose I'm be getting a secondary tank to keep my healthy fish in while I nuke my display tank. Yikes.
Lorie 😢😢😢

Vogiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2017, 10:39 AM   #10354
Cosmik1
Registered Member

New to the Water World

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the water world. I had a small Petco freshwater aquarium many years ago with no real experience. I don't know much about the hobby but trying to soak up knowledge has led me here. I have found the noob corner and it has been helpful. I have decided I that I want to start my own tank, but I will wait a few more months to soak up knowledge and for my discount to kick in lol. Nonetheless, I am glad to be exposed to the wonderfulness of the water world.

Last edited by bertoni; 12/07/2017 at 10:03 PM.
Cosmik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2017, 03:56 PM   #10355
james2394
Registered Member

Hey all!

I just got my first tank in October of last year. It is a 75g Freshwater tank and a little 20g Beta tank for some tetras, danios, and bandis.
I just got my first reef tank though! I figured, go big or go home.. so I got a 180g!
Does anyone have any insight for me?

james2394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2017, 06:18 PM   #10356
thesaltypilot
Registered Member

Talking Hello all

Hey everyone, I just joined today so bare with me as i don't know what I'm doing as far as posting here lol

currently I'm the owner of a 37 tall full of live rock, in its prime it was a beautiful reef tank with a hang on the back sump but i was overrun with Hair algae and couldn't conquer it at the time so unfortunately i let it go. My daughter has an innovative marine Nuvo 16 that i had the same issue with, well get that back up and going soon.

I am in the process of moving and once the move is complete i will be starting another reef tank. Thinking about a Deep Blue 60 Gallon rimless cube. Not sure what type of sump or what else ill need so I'm looking for any insight you all are willing to give i have a Radion XR30w 2nd gen that was only used for about a year so that will be my lighting and possibly adding a 2nd based on others knowledge. i also have an ecotech MP10 that i need to send back for repair but ill be adding that to the new set up.

thesaltypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 11:35 PM   #10357
wonf
Registered Member

Hi all! Just joined RC and excited to "mingle" with fellow reefers.

I'm still a newbie (about 8-9 months in) but have a learned a lot (quickly!). Have a 75g bowfront with a 20g sump.

wonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 01:23 AM   #10358
Aquius
Registered Member

Hey everyone. No tank yet... Well, I actually have a 90 gal penninsula tank and am slowly accumulating parts to set it up. Since I have finally moved, however, it is looking like the tank is not going to work and I should probably switch to a traditional tank. We will see...

Thanks for the awesome community here!!!

Aquius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 01:56 AM   #10359
harvin6
Registered Member

hey guys,

Ive into freshwater fishkeeping since 2011 mainly freshwater stingrays but now im planning for a mix reef tank. Join this forum to learn before i start.

Thanks all the way from ASIA

harvin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 02:35 PM   #10360
vinnyol
Registered Member

Noob

Hello everyone, started my aquarium back in October 2016 with 75 gallon saltwater tank. Just got a new 175 gallon reef tank. So stoked with the new tank. Just filled it up Monday and noticed a chip close to the corner on the back corner. Is it okay? Any advice?

vinnyol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2017, 04:04 AM   #10361
MoonTigress
Registered Member

Smile Getting fish crazy

I am starting a 10 gallon tank. I have only owned Betta fish before and I am excited to learn of other species that I can put together in my tank.

MoonTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 12:46 PM   #10362
drthsideous
Registered Member

Hello All!
I haven't kept fish in a few years. I'm a zookeeper by profession. I used to have African Cichlid tanks, mbuna and tanganyika. My girlfriend just got an established 29 gallon biocube from a friend of hers who didn't want it anymore. So that's what I'll be posting about here mostly, and upgrading it.

drthsideous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 05:31 PM   #10363
mercerra
Registered Member

New to te marine side of the hobby.

Hello everyone,

My names Rusty, I've been apart of the aquarium hobby off and on for about 10 years. However, this is my first go at marine and hopefully reefing(soon). I've been reading a lot of posts on here and my questions will start soon. I look forward to the all the advice and knowledge everyone has to offer.

mercerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2017, 07:28 AM   #10364
manoj241989
Registered Member

Wish to have a reef setup ASAP

Hello everyone!!! I'm Manoj, form India. I'm a 28yr old, full time employed currently having 2 freshwater planted for myself and installed a couple of them for my friends. Planning to setup a reef or coral tank soon. Just like Micheal in the below thread just wanted to learn as much as possible before jumping into anything.

P.S: I'm from chennai, India and if any hobbyist is around this place gimme a bump, like to hangout and see your setups so that i can learn more from my predecessors.

manoj241989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 08:35 AM   #10365
NanoWave
Registered Member

Accidental Reefer

I've decided to join yet another aquarium forum! I've been in the freshwater hobby for several years and recently found an old 10 gallon tank in my alley that I decided to try and restore. It originally started as a sort of test of my silicone sealing skills to see if I could successfully reseal a tank and make it look professional. The project went well and the tank has been restored nicely!

After testing for leaks and then cycling the tank for a few weeks I decided to take my GF to the LFS to get some ideas of what I wanted to stock. I was originally aiming to do a heavily planted freshwater tank, but was quickly about to have my tank hijacked. My GF wandered into the saltwater side of the LFS and instantly fell in love with all the dwarf and scarlet hermits. At this moment I knew my plans for the tank went right out the window and shortly after we were buying salt and a refractometer...

I filled the tank with 1.5" of aragonite sand and 10lbs of south seas base rock. I also got 2lbs of LR from the LFS to help the cycle along. The tank finished cycling after 6 weeks and we were able to pickup her scarlet hermits and some snails this last weekend. No real plans for fish yet since it's a 10 gallon and there aren't too many options. Might just get a single Firefish to go in.

The tank is just a FOWLR at the moment but the plans are to eventually fill it with some easier coral since this is my first SW tank. Taking it nice and slow for now. If there's one thing I've learned to have in this hobby and that's patience.

Excited to be joining this community! Here's some pics from start to finish.

NanoWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 07:02 AM   #10366
Kzt2k17
Registered Member

Hello, This is Kurt new to this forum. Jumped in big in 2004 with 55gal Seahorse tank! Had Eheim canister filter and HOB protein skimmer(failed after 5yrs).Thrived for 5yrs then had some equip failure which in turn caused my ponies to get ill then tank went to crap. My bad on not choosing better equipment. Looking to revive the tank with much improved equipment after doing lots of research!!!

Kzt2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 07:43 AM   #10367
Ahmed GGS
Registered Member

I am a new member! Hope to find here lots of useful information!

Ahmed GGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 05:13 PM   #10368
Coral5515
Registered Member

Got the fever

I'm fairly new to the hobby(year and half),starting with a 20 gallon. I have upgraded to an im60 with radion30 g4pro and an Im10 with prime hd.im seeing it's impossible to stop learning something new about the hobby and have heard good things of the site for info. I am wanting to get nicer, more spendy corals and need to learn the proper care before carelessly buying.

Coral5515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 07:56 AM   #10369
JohnZena
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLowry View Post
Hi everyone! Love Reef Central, lots of great info...

It's been 20+ years since my last Reef setup and I am now back into the hobby.

Looking for some help.

I recently setup a 65-Gal with a sump under (Bio Balls and Bio Plate) and a Sicce 3.5 return pump with hard plumbing between the Tank and Sump. Eshopps Eclipse S overflow and a couple of Jebao PP4's.

Everything went well cycling the tank (Live Sand) and some fish were added. So, I'm about two months along and now I have what looks like what I think are micro bubbles in the tank. I checked the water level in the sump and all is okay. And the water in the sump seems to be clear. I have the PP4's set on the lowest flow setting and I dialed in the flow between the tank and the sump but the bubbles, or at least I think they are still there. They are really tiny and look like snow blowing around, and they don't seem to be blowing out of the return. I don't as yet have a skimmer so ruled that out as a culprit. And as a precaution I added a couple of activated carbon bags in the sump. It's now a week later and no better. Thoughts anyone?
I am reading past posts and came across your post. Hopefully the air bubble problem in your tank has been resolved. Air is often incorporated into a tank via a steep water drop, such as overflowing from the tank to the overflow skimmer or from one compartment in your sump to another compartment. You want the water to gently feed from one compartment to another. If this is what is happening in your tank the fix is easy. Where the overflow dividing two compartments is add a piece of acrylic an inch shorter than the overflow an inch away from the overflow. Fill this one inch compartment with rock rubble. Now the water flows thru the overflow onto the rocks and then overflowing into the next compartment. This softens the drop and breaks up air bubbles.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

JohnZena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 12:12 PM   #10370
susanedw
Registered Member

New to RC

I have a Red Sea Max c250, approx 66 gal with total water volume of 60 approx. I also set up a 37 gal display refugium as the main tank is an all in one without a sump beneath. I haven't gotten the two plumbed together yet.

My tank is now 7 months old. I've kept fresh water in the past. This is my first foray into salt. I had a disaster hit in June when I lost 9 out of 13 fish to marine velvet. Tank is now fallow for 70 odd days to allow MV and ick to be dealt with. Had to also remove fish from the display refugium as they are next to each other and there is some thought that it can be airborne (10 foot rule).

So I have 4 survivors of the DT and 2 from the refugium. 5 are being treated for copper, one, the scooter blenny is in a 10 gal by himself as he can't go into copper. Waiting to get my hands on some CP to treat his tank.

Current fish: 2 chromis, 2 damsels, 1 gold head sleeper goby, 1 scooter blenny and assorted cuc and corals.

Fish are all removed to qt and being treated and tank is on its fallow countdown.

In the mean time, I've treated my DT with fluconazle to treat for bad case of bryopsis and will do same for refugium after the display (in case I needed to move anything).

Tonight will be day 5 and there is a ton of die off happening. My goal is by the end of the 76 days to have a nice pristine tank for my fish. Using this time to replan my fish stocking list.
Here is the tank before I used the flucon and on day 4

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170721_200124_resized.jpg (63.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20170727_122407_resized.jpg (66.7 KB, 10 views)
susanedw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 12:02 AM   #10371
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

Just getting back in

I was a member here a few years back and took a long hiatus. Just getting back in to see whats new in the hobby and thinking about possibly setting up a smaller tnak that the 2-55's and the 1-90 I had previously.

sh4rkbyt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 03:33 PM   #10372
Newguyreef
Registered Member

Can you help?

Hi I recently bought a 4 month old saltwater aquarium. The guy I got it from works at a local reef shop. My thoughts and concerns are, how long should I wait to add any life? I measured my selinity and it's within peramitors. I just moved the tank so I was thinking I'll wait a week to let things settle. I have already bought ro water for future water changes. What are some of the key things I should pay attention too? It came with some mushrooms or zoids? In the tank they seem healthy and doing well. You think based off how they look I could add other life and be fine? I bought a protein skimmer and installed it. It's only a 20 gallon tank which scares me because, I understand things can go south quickly with nano tanks. I'm up for the challenge and don't mind if it fails I'll learn from it and try again. I got my saltwater test kit from the shop and my spectrometer! I failed getting a plastic crappy one already lol. If you guys could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Sincerely
Newreefguy.

Newguyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 04:52 PM   #10373
bradleyv1714
Registered Member

Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum and I'm looking into getting into the saltwater aquarium hobby.

Thank you
Bradley

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

bradleyv1714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 08:31 PM   #10374
mdhill0318
Registered Member

HI guys. Does anyone have a Nuvo or Biocube? I am trying to decide which type and size I want to start out with. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mdhill0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2017, 12:03 PM   #10375
Bldavis1
Registered Member

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the hobby. I've wanted a reef tank for a while. I've been reading these forums for a few years now and getting to a place where I can get a tank. My plans are for a 120 gal reef tank with a couple fish. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but it's gonna happen soon.

Bldavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral