Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 12/06/2017, 03:29 PM   #1
tkiry1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 77
Anybody have any info on this puffer or have one?

There is a good write up on reefs.com.. Anybody have one of these? Or input....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


tkiry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 08:14 AM   #2
humaguy
Premium Member
 
humaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western Ct, NYC
Posts: 7,918
scribbled dog faced...usually pretty mellow but can be semi-aggressive.


humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 09:52 AM   #3
tkiry1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
scribbled dog faced...usually pretty mellow but can be semi-aggressive.


Thanks.. Is it the rarer puffer from Japan? They just found maybe back in 2016.... Multilineatus or something like that.....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


tkiry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 04:35 PM   #4
redlazer
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 76
I like the look of it


redlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 04:47 PM   #5
tkiry1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlazer View Post
I like the look of it


Thanks!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


tkiry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 05:15 PM   #6
tkiry1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 77




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


tkiry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 05:16 PM   #7
tkiry1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 77



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


tkiry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2017, 10:00 AM   #8
McPuff
Registered Member
 
McPuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,141
That is pretty cool. I like that the pattern continues onto the caudal fin. Where did you get it/


McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2017, 11:33 AM   #9
tkiry1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
That is pretty cool. I like that the pattern continues onto the caudal fin. Where did you get it/


www.thereefcorner.com


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


tkiry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2017, 12:27 PM   #10
FinnCole
Registered Member
 
FinnCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 253
Its a Arothron puffer not sure which one though

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk


FinnCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2017, 02:26 PM   #11
trembz
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 218
Are those real corals in your tank with it?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk


trembz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2017, 08:01 PM   #12
humaguy
Premium Member
 
humaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western Ct, NYC
Posts: 7,918
Name Scribbled, Map Dogface Puffer
Scientific Name Arothron mappa
Min Aquaria Volume 900L
Max Size 65cm 25.6''
Aquarium Compatibility Fish Only
Temperament Peaceful -But can be Semi-Aggressive
Diet Carnivore
Care Easy - Moderate
Origin Indo - Western Pacific
Notes Can be kept with other pufferfish

from la:


The Scribbled Arothron Puffer, also known as the Scribbled Toadfish and Map Puffer, has a very distinct and vivid appearance. The main color ranges from light tans to dark yellows and it has a network of black "scribbles" covering the body, forming an intricate pattern. It lacks pelvic fins, but has learned to use the pectoral fins to move about the aquarium.

It has the ability to inflate its body to almost twice its normal size when threatened or alarmed to discourage others from trying to eat it. Parts of the flesh are poisonous if digested. Its teeth are actually a fused beak-like structure.

A 300 gallon or larger, fish-only aquarium with a good protein skimmer is suitable. It will generally live peacefully with other fish, even other Puffers. It will eat invertebrates found in a reef tank, as well as corals, and even aquarium apparatus. It becomes alarmed when in a net, therefore, use a container to transfer it.

The Scribbled Arothron Puffer needs a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth.

Approximate Purchase Size: Tiny 3/4" to 1-1/4" Small; 1 1/4" to 2-3/4" Medium; 3-1/4" to 4-1/4"; Medium/Large: 4-1/4" to 5-1/4"; Large; 5-1/4" to 7"



humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2017, 08:06 PM   #13
tkiry1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by trembz View Post
Are those real corals in your tank with it?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk


Fake...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


tkiry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2017, 08:09 PM   #14
tkiry1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
Name Scribbled, Map Dogface Puffer

Scientific Name Arothron mappa

Min Aquaria Volume 900L

Max Size 65cm 25.6''

Aquarium Compatibility Fish Only

Temperament Peaceful -But can be Semi-Aggressive

Diet Carnivore

Care Easy - Moderate

Origin Indo - Western Pacific

Notes Can be kept with other pufferfish



from la:





The Scribbled Arothron Puffer, also known as the Scribbled Toadfish and Map Puffer, has a very distinct and vivid appearance. The main color ranges from light tans to dark yellows and it has a network of black "scribbles" covering the body, forming an intricate pattern. It lacks pelvic fins, but has learned to use the pectoral fins to move about the aquarium.



It has the ability to inflate its body to almost twice its normal size when threatened or alarmed to discourage others from trying to eat it. Parts of the flesh are poisonous if digested. Its teeth are actually a fused beak-like structure.



A 300 gallon or larger, fish-only aquarium with a good protein skimmer is suitable. It will generally live peacefully with other fish, even other Puffers. It will eat invertebrates found in a reef tank, as well as corals, and even aquarium apparatus. It becomes alarmed when in a net, therefore, use a container to transfer it.



The Scribbled Arothron Puffer needs a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth.



Approximate Purchase Size: Tiny 3/4" to 1-1/4" Small; 1 1/4" to 2-3/4" Medium; 3-1/4" to 4-1/4"; Medium/Large: 4-1/4" to 5-1/4"; Large; 5-1/4" to 7"





That's my mappa puffer.. The one going vertical being a little crazy..



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


tkiry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2017, 08:10 PM   #15
tkiry1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by trembz View Post
Are those real corals in your tank with it?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk


Fake ones...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


tkiry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:35 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014