Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2015, 06:11 AM   #4426
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Gentlemen,

The personal snipping and arguments need to be kept off of RC. Otherwise I will be forced to close the thread, as quite frankly I don't have the time to be babbysitting a thread or trying to clean it up.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 08:53 AM   #4427
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
Gentlemen,

The personal snipping and arguments need to be kept off of RC. Otherwise I will be forced to close the thread, as quite frankly I don't have the time to be babbysitting a thread or trying to clean it up.

Bill,

I agree. My apologies.

Thanks,

Ted

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 09:15 AM   #4428
indyjaco
Registered Member

Ted,

A general question, do you ever worry about a fish being to fat?

Thanks.

SCA 120G RB 48 V2
indyjaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 01:11 PM   #4429
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjaco View Post
Ted,

A general question, do you ever worry about a fish being to fat?

Thanks.
phewww, a general question, lol...

if your fish are thick from your constant feeding and excellent care, I would not worry...
I would worry if I saw a fish that was suddenly fat after a feeding, that could be a sign of bloat...

Unread 03/16/2015, 01:22 PM   #4430
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Can you post the picture of the little one that "appears" to have one of the pelvic fins turning orange? I have been looking back through the pics of the little girls but it seems like depending on the angle of the camera that the baby blue shows up better in some picture than others. I would imagine this holds true with the pelvic fin too at this stage. Off topic question, are you going to MACNA 15?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 01:26 PM   #4431
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Can you post the picture of the little one that "appears" to have one of the pelvic fins turning orange? I have been looking back through the pics of the little girls but it seems like depending on the angle of the camera that the baby blue shows up better in some picture than others. I would imagine this holds true with the pelvic fin too at this stage. Off topic question, are you going to MACNA 15?
yeah, agree, I will try and get some more to see if it holds true...

I am going and will probably host something here before, or after, possibly with another member or two...

Unread 03/16/2015, 03:01 PM   #4432
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
yeah, agree, I will try and get some more to see if it holds true...

I am going and will probably host something here before, or after, possibly with another member or two...
I think i'm going this year too. Would love to pick your brain... well more than I already have Your hosting something huh? Lucky guys who get to see all of your Gems!!

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 03/16/2015, 03:23 PM   #4433
ingtar_shinowa
Registered Member

How has their personalities developed over the last few months, specifically in regards to aggression towards other species?

ingtar_shinowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 04:06 PM   #4434
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
I think i'm going this year too. Would love to pick your brain... well more than I already have Your hosting something huh? Lucky guys who get to see all of your Gems!!
always welcome...

Unread 03/16/2015, 04:17 PM   #4435
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingtar_shinowa View Post
How has their personalities developed over the last few months, specifically in regards to aggression towards other species?
lol, I really have no experience there, as the Gp and Blondie have always been together, and alone... they can see the fish in the 125 but they have never had other fish share their tank...
they are wonderfully personable and curious little fish, mellow, easy going, and tolerant of my daily puttering's in their tank..
and tolerant of a wide-range of water temps....

Unread 03/16/2015, 06:43 PM   #4436
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
always welcome...
Let me know when and I will be there

Unread 03/17/2015, 09:49 AM   #4437
humaguy
Premium Member

Stoked to be trying out Chefzilla's fish food...Thanks to Dave B for the connection and to Brent P for sending out the food...

Very excited to try this and have heard killer things about it!!

Unread 03/17/2015, 10:21 AM   #4438
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

You should look into making your own food with as much as you buy... Or had bought from others... It's quite simple and I would imagine you have 75% of what you need already. Let us know how the new stuff goes

Unread 03/17/2015, 10:56 AM   #4439
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
You should look into making your own food with as much as you buy... Or had bought from others... It's quite simple and I would imagine you have 75% of what you need already. Let us know how the new stuff goes
I do but have not gone down the route of adding probiotics, and other "enhancing" type ingredients, or brine, plankton, nori etc for that matter...
what are you adding to yours?
Having a solid reliable frozen food is huge for me...

Unread 03/17/2015, 01:43 PM   #4440
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
I do but have not gone down the route of adding probiotics, and other "enhancing" type ingredients, or brine, plankton, nori etc for that matter...
what are you adding to yours?
Having a solid reliable frozen food is huge for me...
As far as enriching goes, selcon, vitchem, vitamarin M, amino acids and angel elixer. Food wise any wild caught white fish, clams, mussels, scallops, nori of every color, whole shrimp, mysis, brine, spirulina powder, squid sometimes i add smelt which is silversides, krill and I haven't used it yet but fish and krill oil... non flavored of course. So far I haven't met a fish that doesn't love it

Unread 03/17/2015, 01:45 PM   #4441
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Just glad you don't live in Austin Ted...

I don't think I'd want to leave your house! Makes our stocking look pathetic in our display haha

Really only looking at a Bandit (after your words on them), Gem Tang, Zebra Tang, Ach. Hybrid as far as rarer fish go in addition to what we have.

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2015, 01:46 PM   #4442
ingtar_shinowa
Registered Member

a tiny bit of spirulina goes a long way. I learned that the hard way making my own food..... Dmorty you like Angel Elixir? I never found it helpful for my fish unfortunately. tried it on a couple stubborn regal angels to no avail.

ingtar_shinowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2015, 01:46 PM   #4443
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I will bring you a pack or two of it to MACNA and you can give it a try and let me know what you think. Doesn't help you until September but I will have some for you if you would like it to try

Unread 03/17/2015, 01:48 PM   #4444
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingtar_shinowa View Post
a tiny bit of spirulina goes a long way. I learned that the hard way making my own food..... Dmorty you like Angel Elixir? I never found it helpful for my fish unfortunately. tried it on a couple stubborn regal angels to no avail.
I don't think it helps stubborn fish eat but I fully believe that it is a missing part of the diet for angels, especially deep water angels. For as cheap as it is and as long as it will last (depending on how you use it) its worth it to me

Unread 03/17/2015, 04:19 PM   #4445
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
As far as enriching goes, selcon, vitchem, vitamarin M, amino acids and angel elixer. Food wise any wild caught white fish, clams, mussels, scallops, nori of every color, whole shrimp, mysis, brine, spirulina powder, squid sometimes i add smelt which is silversides, krill and I haven't used it yet but fish and krill oil... non flavored of course. So far I haven't met a fish that doesn't love it
yeah, kinda my point...beyond selcon, I am not adding it...I don't like the others and feel between fresh seafood, spri brine, plankton, nori, and lots of water changes, we are golden...also don't like angel elixir...octo/squid, smelt, silversides ends up as waste in my tanks...

Unread 03/17/2015, 04:57 PM   #4446
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
yeah, kinda my point...beyond selcon, I am not adding it...I don't like the others and feel between fresh seafood, spri brine, plankton, nori, and lots of water changes, we are golden...also don't like angel elixir...octo/squid, smelt, silversides ends up as waste in my tanks...
Vitachem is a good product and you could adjust what seafood you use for your fish. There is a omnivor blend and a herbivore blend you can make. Also you can really food process the food up to make small chunks. Do you still shave down the frozen for the little ones? I would imagine you have to do that for blondie

Unread 03/17/2015, 07:17 PM   #4447
BlueMac92
Registered Member

Hey Ted, how are the interruptus? Don't mean to distract from the GPs, but it's been awhile since I've seen any pics in your thread of them....

BlueMac92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2015, 09:38 AM   #4448
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Vitachem is a good product and you could adjust what seafood you use for your fish. There is a omnivor blend and a herbivore blend you can make. Also you can really food process the food up to make small chunks. Do you still shave down the frozen for the little ones? I would imagine you have to do that for blondie
Thanks!

I don't like Vitachem, do like Selcon...use mostly scallops, little necks, shrimp, nori but at this point, only make it a few times a year but you're right, I should probably start making it more often..
No, the food does not have to be shaved down anymore.

Unread 03/18/2015, 09:39 AM   #4449
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac92 View Post
Hey Ted, how are the interruptus? Don't mean to distract from the GPs, but it's been awhile since I've seen any pics in your thread of them....
they doing well in the dt...thanks for asking about them!

Unread 03/18/2015, 09:55 AM   #4450
griseum
Registered Member

Hey Ted.
Just curious about what exactly it is you don't like about Vitachem?
How about Zoe and Zoecon? I find Kent's fish and Shark liver oils (HUFA's) to be similar to Selcon. But I lost a bit of faith in Kent...

griseum is offline   Reply With Quote