Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2016, 09:23 PM   #1
dt204
Registered Member

60g Rimless Cube Build

Well, I got a new cube and I'm in the process of setting it up. Still new in the hobby and will take any advice anyone has to give! I've kept a 12g nano cube for about a year now, and can't wait to get this rolling.
uploadfromtaptalk1453691625428.jpg

This is the cube as it sits now
uploadfromtaptalk1453691724011.jpg

I've got it plumbed down to my existing fish room in the basement
uploadfromtaptalk1453691813555.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1453691844862.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1453691862471.jpg

The tank has a 1/2" return and 1" drain. It's unioned at the floor and again before the ball valves at the sump. It ends up being a head height of close to 8'. I've got a Mag 12 return pump, and I'm hoping to get the flow I need from it. Calculating about 600-700 gph from what I can figure.

dt204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2016, 09:51 PM   #2
dt204
Registered Member

The sump is a 20 gallon tank I got on Kijiji. uploadfromtaptalk1453692300419.jpg

You can see the lines ran almost to it. That's the rodi line as well for an ATO at some point.

I've marked where I'm planning to install baffles to separate the intake/skimmer section from return in the middle, and /refugium on the left. Planning to tee off of return line with lower flow back to the refugium. uploadfromtaptalk1453692450159.jpg

I'm planning to keep a bit of LR and chaeto in the refugium section. And to run some type of light above it at night for pH stability. The skimmer I've picked for it is the Reef Octopus 110INT. Waiting for it to come in at my LFS. I'm new to skimmers, and look forward to learning how to operate one efficiently. I have yet to pick up any filter socks, but planning to go that route on the return line. I do not have a heater yet, but planning on putting the proper wattage heater in the return section. Does anybody have any suggestions for my sump design?

I've picked up about 40 lbs of dry Marco rock. I've setup a measured section in my garage and am practicing stacking them in the design I like. This is what I gotuploadfromtaptalk1453692774621.jpg

Not sure if I will try an acrylic rod or epoxy/glue to hold the tall part up. I like the layout as it gives me a few sections to work with, as well as open sand. I like how some corals just pop in the sand or small piece of rubble.

I'm hoping to have a mixed reef. I prefer LPS and softies, but wouldn't mind trying a few SPS up high. Basic reef friendly fish, hoping around 6-8 fish.

My light is a bridgelux LED uploadfromtaptalk1453693008218.jpg

I'm planning to suspend it above the open water tank from the ceiling. I also just picked up a Reef Keeper Lite plus, and looking forward to hooking it up! First controller of my fishdom and I can't wait for what it can do for me. I'm not positive how I'm going to run it upstairs, and in my fish room with pumps and lights etc being on different floors. Thoughts?
It also comes with some moonlight pods I will probably incorporate some how.

I am going to wrap the 2x4 cabinet with cabinet material. You can see my kitchen in my first pic of my nano. It will look exactly like that with a door on the kitchen side. Hopefully should look like its always been built in! It's an off white. We did our kitchen a couple years ago.

I've recently upgraded my rodi system and changed from a 5 gallon pail for premixing to a 30 gallon brute bin. I've got a pump for that as well. I'm using red sea coral pro salt so far. My fish room is originally for my 240 gallon Tanganyikan cichlid tank with 70 gallon sump. But I've managed to repurpose as dual fish room now

Haven't gotten power heads yet.
Not positive plan for filter media/reactor yet. Thinking GFO and GAC, maybe purigen.

Soon as my skimmer gets in I will be finishing the sump build, and getting my rock and sand into tank. Finish some plumbing, and get that tank wet!

Hoping to hear any suggestions or questions from everyone to help me out. I've done a fair amount of fresh water before, and after reading hundreds of hours online about reefing, and keeping a nano, I know I need some more practical experience! Thanks!

Unread 01/28/2016, 11:23 AM   #3
Greybeard
Registered Member

Nice start! I recently put together a 60g cube, as well... build thread linked to below. Not so different from your plan, really. Having a remote sump seems a nice way of eliminating the space issue common to these small footprint tanks.

Open top makes fish choice a challenge. I know, folks are going to jump in here and say all fish can jump... they're right, but that doesn't change anything. I like the open top, and I'm keeping it. I've got a smith's blenny and a pair of snowflake clowns, so far so good. Not sure what else I'm going to add, but it'll be slow, and careful.

Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2016, 10:20 PM   #4
dt204
Registered Member

Hey! Thanks. My first real salt build, and I'm enjoying it. I'm lucky to have an existing fish room already to run the sump to. Should all but eliminate all noise from display tank. Although I have yet to hear this drain in action!
I also like the look of fully open top. We'll see, if I have a couple casualties I may change my tune.
I haven't seen too many tanks with the netting on them. It's got to be a bit of a pain in the *** to open all the time, no? Just to flip over a snail or something quick.

I just got the call that my skimmer is in! My seller upgraded me to a space saver now. Once I get it, I'll be altering my sump design a bit, and hopefully building it asap.

Unread 01/29/2016, 11:18 AM   #5
Greybeard
Registered Member

I've got a Reef Octopus SRO1000sss, picked it up used. Doing a great job for me. It's a bit bulky, but not bad.

I've seen several screen tops. If they're done right, they look OK. Just lift it up to feed or whatever. Set it to the side for full access. I picked up a set of clear plastic clips that support a top just below the top edge of the tank. Tried cutting a piece of eggcrate for it. Works, but the light reflection into the surrounding area is more than I can stand.

Unread 02/03/2016, 11:00 PM   #6
dt204
Registered Member

Skimmer got upgraded to a new Octo 110INT Space saver! Here's a pic of it in the sump

The space saver will save me a bit of space (imagine that lol) and hopefully I can make my return chamber as big as possible. You can see a new 200 w cobalt heater in there too. Going to slide in under the small stand I'll have the skimmer on. You can see the reef keeper probes and switches as well. This sump is gonna be a busy place. Going to install the baffles this wkend

Unread 02/05/2016, 07:09 PM   #7
dt204
Registered Member

Bam. Got some baffles done today.

Going to put it left to right- refugium, return chamber, drain/skimmer chamber. Doing over-under baffles on both sides. Will return a small amount of flow back to fuge from return pump. Do the rest of baffles soon. Seems easier to get a couple set in place, then get the others in.

Unread 02/06/2016, 05:29 PM   #8
dt204
Registered Member

There we go. Rest of the baffles are in. I'm hoping the over under will be enough to deal with micro bubbles. If not, I have some backup plans 😃

I went with 1.5" gap between and under baffles on drain side, and 1" gap on the fuge side (less flow).
Soon as it all cures, I have a bit of plumbing to do at the sump to hook up to drain and return, and then shall commence with a freshwater test of the system.
Through a few calculations I've estimated that when the pump shuts off, I will have approx 5 gallons return to the sump. I have left room for 7 gallons at capacity. Let's hope. We'll soon see. 😁

Unread 02/06/2016, 11:33 PM   #9
dt204
Registered Member

Rough mock up

Unread 02/08/2016, 11:39 AM   #10
Greybeard
Registered Member

Hm. Odd to see a return compartment in the middle. How are you going to feed flow to both ends?

If all else fails, a bit of filter pad in the baffle will shut down the micro bubbles. I didn't end up needing it... my skimmer just doesn't release that many micro bubbles.

Unread 02/09/2016, 12:52 AM   #11
carpediem_dc
Registered Member

I agree with Greybeard. Far better with return at one end and skimmer in the middle if it fits.

carpediem_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2016, 06:57 PM   #12
dt204
Registered Member

Feedback! Awesome, thanks guys.

I've seen this style of sump a few times in my searching when I was originally planning it.

For the flow, the return line will tee off with a ball and return back to the sump on the fuge side. That way I can isolate flow. Have full strength flow on the drain side, and be able to dial back the flow on the fuge side. This will also be finalized after my fresh water test.

From what I understand, this is a hotly debated topic. General consensus seems to be that lower flow is better. But for no clear reasons lol. I've read about pods liking lower flow. Chaeto having 'longer' for nutrient absorption. More anaerobic bacteria growing in live rock for nitrate removal. And things to the contrary like detritus build up. All taken with a grain of salt. This is my first salt sump, so I'm curious to see how it works in actual application.

On another note, I realized I had a metal fitting on my RO/DI line

I've since changed it. And picked up (hopefully) all my parts.

Someone's got some plumbin' to do

Unread 02/09/2016, 09:35 PM   #13
bklynreef123
Registered Member

I would get rid of all the metal hose clamps. just my .02. Good luck with the build.

bklynreef123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2016, 06:41 AM   #14
dt204
Registered Member

I won't have any clamps submersed at least. Are there better options for my other fittings?

Unread 02/10/2016, 09:19 AM   #15
Greybeard
Registered Member

Several places sell ratcheting plastic hose clamps. Much safer. They're used in home brewing, as well.

My sump has two paths through it, half (or so) goes through the fuge, and half through the skimmer compartment. Rejoining in the return compartment. There's nothing wrong with what you're wanting to do, being able to control flow through the fuge is great.

One thing you should be aware of: A Herbie or BeAnAnimal type overflow system, with full siphon, gets real complicated if you're T'ing the outlet. If you plan on a standard Durso standpipe anyway, no problem.

Unread 02/10/2016, 12:36 PM   #16
dt204
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I'll look for those ratchet straps.
My tank came with a durso, and that is also what I set up in my freshwater tank/sump. So hopefully no worries with the siphon

Unread 02/10/2016, 10:42 PM   #17
dt204
Registered Member

Got started on that plumbing tonight.
Nothing is glued or threaded yet. I'll replace metal clamps with plastic ones once I can locate some. Anybody have any thoughts before I put them together permanently?

After the fresh water test, and finding out exactly where my levels will be, I can finalize a few things:
- length of feed to refugium (I'll dry fit the final chunk until it's determined)
-length of drain line
-skimmer chamber level
-skimmer stand height
-valve settings

And if anything leaks

Unread 02/11/2016, 11:33 AM   #18
Devaji108
Registered Member

looking good!
just wondering why, if you have the fish room in the basement you only went with a small (ish) sump? is that a 20H? with that size I would have just put in under that tank or made a bigger sump like a 40br, 55 or something.

aslo, and I am sure you calculated for head loss but with that amount of head + a T off that one big pump = lost of heat and energy.

I personally would have just went with a smaller quieter pump and put the sump under the DT and called it a day.
or if I had the fish room ( someday i just might) would have went with a external pump on a rubber made stock tank or a 40br to give more volume and justification for the big pump.

dont get me wrong I do like what you got going on and in no way I am telly you its wrong, I just would do it different that all.

I am curious to see how the T on the return line works out for ya. I do understand the concept and its nice to Dial it in.

keep us posted

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 07:26 PM   #19
dt204
Registered Member

Hey thanks for the interest Deva. Yes, that is a 20 gallon sump. That is the biggest sump I figured I could fit! Lol My fish room is great, but most of it is taken up by my 240 g in wall Tanganyikan tank with 70 g sump. I'll take a pic of my room and post it when I get home later. I've also just added a 30 gallon brute can for mixing.
When I got the tank it came with a 12g sump that fit underneath the DT. That one definitely wasn't going to work 😃
Another thing I considered when running sump in basement is noise, as my DT is in my kitchen area. Also I have a ton of power in my fish room already, and I would have had to run a new circuit upstairs. And finally for water changes. I can just pump mixed saltwater up as opposed to any pails etc.
I'm really curious as to how this pump and flow will work too! I'm hoping with length of lines and sump in basement that pump heat won't be a problem. But we shall see 😁

Unread 02/11/2016, 08:32 PM   #20
dt204
Registered Member

Here is my room.

It has the tank viewing to my basement living room. A rounded wall curves around to a bi-fold door for the entrance. It has a laundry sink. An extra drain. Hot and cold lines. RO and RO/DI lines. A few circuits. Decent amount of storage. Very happy I included it when I gutted and redid my basement. If/when I sell my house, it can be converted into a pretty killer bar!!

Unread 02/12/2016, 12:43 AM   #21
Devaji108
Registered Member

OH nice fish room!
looks like you will now have to make that 12 gallon in to a nano tank...haha

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2016, 01:01 AM   #22
kcinnick
Registered Member

Working on my fish room now... Doing similar design to yours with the flow split between the fuge and entry compartment with another compartment for the skimmer. After the skimmer there is probably another 40 or so gallons of sump left for the return pump area. I do have a 90 gallon sump to hold all my equipment and a 150 gallon rubbermaid trough for extra volume and it will get a frag rack on top. I also plan to expand to two more frag grow out systems to grow out frags before I try to place them in my Display.

kcinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2016, 06:49 AM   #23
dt204
Registered Member

Sounds like you got your hands full!

Unread 02/14/2016, 11:04 AM   #24
csb123
Registered Member

Looks great!

csb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 03:11 PM   #25
dt204
Registered Member

So today is the day this thing gets wet. I threaded and glued all the pvc by the sump this morning. And figured out that a garden hose from my garage was the easiest way to fill this thing with freshwater.

So we turned on the water! My father in law was here and gave me a hand. Here it is filling up.

And here it is draining again.

Note to self. When double checking plumbing, remember to check the bulkheads in the bottom of the tank. Whoops.

So it wasn't a flood by any means, but more of a disappointing drip lol. Had to drain tank so I could pull it away from the wall and tighten the return line bulkhead. Sure enough it was hand loose already. I've tightened it up and filled the overflow box. Looks good!

I'll try again later tonight to fill the tank. Good news is that the rest of the drain system to the sump seems to be fine.