Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2010, 04:59 AM   #1
dloveaz
Registered Member

LTB: overflow kit/skimmer/return pump & help needed w/ sump setup

Hello everyone. I've been watching the board for about a month and in the hobby less than a year. I have been making it by on my 90 gallon reef tank with a cascade 700 canister (i think) and a hob remora pro aqua c with the optional overflow box that holds the pump. A very nice friend is going to give me a 2 chamber 20g long sump that you can have if you want. Its made to have live rock rubble and a filter on the inlet side and a protien skimmer and return pump on the opposite side. Is live rock rubble like small pieces? How small?

I am in desperate need of help with getting the sump up and running properly. I really need to find someone to help me set it up properly with the plumbing, flow rates, and return etc. My tank is not drilled so I need to get an overflow box. Also I don't know if I could somehow use that remora pro overflow box and use that as my overflow with a pump sitting in the tank and then I guess tubing coming from that feeding the sump??

I would like to get a continuous siphon overflow for 800gph I think. Do hobbyists set the flow of the pump to the uV for the rating for protozoa or for the rate of algae? I have an emporer aquatics 25w and for algae it says like 700gph I think and like 282 for protozoa. Do most people go with the high rate for the algae killing?? I have heard others say have it slow for more exposure to the uv light. I am not sure and am very curious.

Also, if one day I got a chiller could this go on the same tubing line from the return and uv or do I need seperate tubing and plumbing for it?

So I am looking for:
1. skimmer for in sump + my aqua c remora pro is way noisy
2. return pump
3. overflow box
4. auto topoff system (with this, can I just set a 5 gallon water bottle under my tank? ; and it feeds it back in the sump?)
4. someone with the knowledge to help me set up the sump and proper valves etc. I can pay with cash, trade live rock or corals, I am really good on computers if you need computer repair, whatever.

What does everyone recommend for the best skimmer, return pump, overflow assembly? I don't have the $ to buy a deltec so within reason what are the best and favorites?

Also, I do pretty regular water changes and check my water and for the whole time I always had zero nitrates/nitrites. Well, my girlfriend broke all my little tester glass tubes a little while back and I figured everything was still pretty good and had just done regular water changes and salinity and ph checks. So, I tested everything with my new kit and my nitrates are off the chart. I have done a 15 gallon water change with the salt I have left and will be getting more in the next couple days. But can I put mangroves directly in my tank? Does anyone have any I can borrow?

BTW, the sump I am getting is a 2 chamber the is 36" x 12" x 12". I would definetely like to get it setup where if the power goes out or whatever that it wont overflow. Maybe I will need a taller sump or I can just keep the water level low? IDK that is why I need someone good to hook me up with help and I will pay them.

Sorry for the long post and I look forward to everyones input and knowledge sharing. You guys have awesome tanks, wisdom, and I love the DIY construction and mods.

Thank you,

Darren
602-751-8850
darrenkaplan@cox.net

dloveaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overflow, return pump, skimmer, sump