Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/06/2004, 06:54 PM   #51
John Brancheau
Registered Member

kenbow, Thanks my friend, I enjoy spending time with everyone over there.....

Cabin,

Thanks, The gobies are the green ones, sorry, that is about as specific as I can get, they eat mysis, and I think some of the brine shrimp, but they do a number on the corals they host in...

As far as the hermits go, that is not a typo, I strongly believe that a good clean-up crew is important, but these little micro hermits I get from keyscritters have been actually seen eating the red bugs, and since I am to afraid to use the interceptor treatment in my system, I hope to keep them in check with these. I am also in the process of trying some amino acids suppliments to aid in the defense systems of the infected sps..

Thank You Skip, could not find that pic........

Current Tank Info: 180 in wall,Bubble King 300,Red Dragon 6.5 , Schuran, Jetstream 1, 100 gallon sump/ fuge,Tunze 6100,6080, 4 250 RO III's, Hamilton 14ks with 2- 6 foot vho's,sps dominated with some clams..
John Brancheau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2004, 07:47 PM   #52
majesticangelfish
Registered Member

WOW! thats a BEAUTIFUL reef you have there mate! Well Done.

Josh

Current Tank Info: Bonsai ZEOvit 115g BK200 Profilux, Balling method (TEC NGIII) T5: D&D 2xActinic+ Pure Ac.; Korallen Zucht: 2x FP 2xCL(dimmbar), Iwaki+Penductors. Rimless ZEO 100g, two 500g inwall dual sided starfire
majesticangelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2004, 08:02 PM   #53
Joseph Sorrels
Registered Member

Very nice tank and system . Congrats

Joseph Sorrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2004, 10:26 PM   #54
copps
Premium Member

Congratulations John! In my thread last month I wrote this in response to your kind words...

"John Brancheau thanks bud! Your tank I’ve admired too and is a definite future TOTM…"

... I wasn't the only one who saw it coming. Your attention to detail artistically and technically is evident and you have that intangible quality that makes a great reefer...

Good luck responding to the hoards of e-mails, PMs, and comments!

John Coppolino

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2004, 05:32 AM   #55
John Brancheau
Registered Member

Majestic,
Joseph,
Thank You, Thank you.....

Copps,

Thanks John, I appreciate it, the pm's , e-mails ,and responses have been fun, I enjoy talkin reefs, but this time of the year is always hectic for me, so I am trying to keep up the best I can, all in all, it hasn't been that bad..

Current Tank Info: 180 in wall,Bubble King 300,Red Dragon 6.5 , Schuran, Jetstream 1, 100 gallon sump/ fuge,Tunze 6100,6080, 4 250 RO III's, Hamilton 14ks with 2- 6 foot vho's,sps dominated with some clams..
Unread 10/07/2004, 06:03 AM   #56
scubadude
Premium Member

Thumbs up What a gorgeous tank!

Hey John

Loved browsing your pictures and specs on your system. Thanx for contributing, was very nicely done!

scubadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2004, 08:01 AM   #57
Leakyreef
Registered Member

John, I must say that the framing and front panel on your system is as nice as the contents inside the tank. Looks like it was done by a professional. If not, then take that as a compliment.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon in wall reef/45 gal refugium
Leakyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2004, 11:32 AM   #58
danano
Registered Member

John, congrats, a very well deserved TOTM indeed!

Truly an inspiration!!

Dan

danano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2004, 02:34 PM   #59
maryrosi
Registered Member

Congrats John!! Stunning in pics and even more so in person! Very well deserved!

Mucho, awesome shots with your camera!

maryrosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2004, 02:40 PM   #60
rotarypower
Registered Member

John,

Your tank is very beautiful! I only hope one day my tank fills in as nicely as yours.

My question is, have you any luck with drmaccorals.com? In your opinion, what is your favorite online retailer that seems to provide an excellent product time and time again? (if you have used any). Thanks John cant wait to see what your tank looks like a year from now!

rotarypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2004, 04:24 PM   #61
Bugger
Moved On

I also would like to know how to keep macro alive and well should I add silacate or some other chemical to my tank to keep it alive.
Do the red bugs need corals to stay alive

Bugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2004, 04:49 PM   #62
John Brancheau
Registered Member

Scubadude,

Thank You, I really appreciate the thumbs up.

Leakyreef,

I would like to take credit for the woodwork and stand, but I was fortunate to have a few colse friends of mine do that for me, I have been very hapy with the end result.

Danano,

Thanks Dan...

Mary, Thank You very much, howz life been treating you? Haven't heard from you in a while..

Rotarypower,

Thank You, I have not purchased any of these on line, I take that back, I have gotten a few of these from logical, but I do not feel I could give you a fair assessment any others.

Bugger,

Not real sure what to tell you about keeping macros alive,I have been fortunate I guess, but the way it grows for me leads me to believe that I still may have too many nutrients in the system.
From what I have read about the bugs, they will die without a host coral, but I am not sure that any of know exactly what the long term problems will be with these little sob's......

Unread 10/07/2004, 10:17 PM   #63
cwegescheide
YOU have been ignored!

If my tank would turn out half as nice as yours I would be more than happy. Congrats...

cwegescheide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2004, 11:15 PM   #64
cediss
Registered Member

John,
Simply incredible! You have developed an amazing talent with the years of experience. Keep it up!

As for your lighting. I have used 175W MH 10K for years with good success. You mentioned you converted over to DE's I believe you said 250W. You also said you had good success with 175W SE. My question is, do you notice a significant difference in coral color and/or growth? How much more are you paying for your electric bill? Your tank speaks for itself, but you didn't mention what difference if any came from the lighting change.
I hope to get my tank looking like yours someday, just need to identify the missing ingredients. Thanks, Chris

cediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2004, 04:54 PM   #65
John Brancheau
Registered Member

Cwegescheide,

Thank You, just remember to be patient, and learn all you can from others.

Cediss,

Thanks for the kudos, it has been a fun learning experience.

I had great success with the 175's, but I was convinced that for the depth the 250's would be better, growth has not changed, but the coloration of some of my corals has gotten much deeper, and my blue tort has gotten much richer. All in all, I am happy with the upgrade..

There have been a few corrections on a few items in the article, Skip and I had crossed paths a few times throughout this ordeal, and I may have not gotten him the correct info on a few things.

Return pump is a Dolphin 2000, and the fuge light is a single 250 de.....

Thanks again to all, I really appreciate your comments...........

John

Unread 10/08/2004, 07:34 PM   #66
rjwilson37
Registered Member

I think the big thumbs up goes to, how the heck did you get that kind of growth from those corals in just 6 months. It is awsome the way that all of them just sprouted and jumped out like that with no problems and all looking totally healthy and fantastic in your gallery and till now.

I Think That Is Just Awsome Work!

29g Biocube
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting

Current Tank Info: 29g Biocube Reef Tank
rjwilson37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2004, 08:37 PM   #67
page
Registered Member

Talking

wow .what a tank ,why do you use a calcium reactor and kent part a /b can't the reactor keep up.

page is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2004, 09:35 PM   #68
John Brancheau
Registered Member

Rjwilson37,

Thanks for the thumbs up, it is kind of scary how quick they grow, I think maybe it has to do with the feeding and water changes. I have also been told that is is in part the fact that most of these corals were captive frags. I have noticed that it seems that most of them are stagnant for a period of time and then for some reason or another they just seem to explode.

The part that really has me baffled is this, I am not totally sure how long I have had the red bugs, but I am pretty certain it has been a while, if they are as hard on the corals as I have been reading, then my growth should not be as good. I guess only time will tell.

page,

Thanks ,

I have been having a hard time keeping my calcium levels above 400 to 425, maybe my reactor needs to be upgraded, but by adding the A and B , I have been able to keep it level, I assume it is mostly because of the coral growth....

Unread 10/08/2004, 10:01 PM   #69
Bugger
Moved On

You said you blast your rocks with a blaster and ster your sand bed up (correct me If Im wrong)Do you really do that? Is that what everybody does? Im confused.

Bugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2004, 10:32 PM   #70
rjwilson37
Registered Member

He does not have a deep sand bed and I believe it is only 1", so this does not hurt at all.

29g Biocube
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting

Current Tank Info: 29g Biocube Reef Tank
rjwilson37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2004, 06:22 AM   #71
Melody
Registered Member

It's positively spectacular. Congrats on TOTM. Two up!!!

Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2004, 09:48 AM   #72
Spearfish
Registered Member

Awesome Tank........... I love the gap between the rock work. Looks much like the Japanese tanks we have seen lately. Congrats!!!

Spearfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2004, 05:51 PM   #73
John Brancheau
Registered Member

Melody,

Thank You very much.

Spearfish,

Thanks, I actually left that open for the caps to fill in, I had once before been told it looks similar to the japanese styles.....

Unread 10/09/2004, 06:52 PM   #74
bradleyj
Reefkeeping Mag Staff

Hi John, I love your tank, I,m overwhelmed, it's gorgeouse. In regards to your durso pipes on your skimmers, do you have the gate valves or the simple pipe with the cap with the small hole drilled in the top?
Brad

Current Tank Info: 335g Leemar
bradleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2004, 07:48 PM   #75
John Brancheau
Registered Member

Thanks Brad,

I used the simple version, the t with the elbows and cap........