Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2010, 10:53 PM   #1
RRaider
Registered Member

Cutting large holes in plywood?

What is the best method/tools for cutting out neat holes for doors in a large piece of plywood?

RRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2010, 11:22 PM   #2
sedor
Registered Member

A drill and a jigsaw may not be the cleanest, but if you don't have a shop its probably the easiest and more affordable way of cutting holes in wood. I'm assuming something like a table jigsaw would be a little cleaner.

Unread 05/10/2010, 11:35 PM   #3
dancerscap
Registered Member

If you are certain you can draw the cut out square, you might try dropping in a circular saw for the longest part of the cut then clean up the corners with a jig saw. Use the finest tooth blade you can find to get the cleanest cut, and go slow.

dancerscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 03:47 AM   #4
Doc's_reef09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerscap View Post
If you are certain you can draw the cut out square, you might try dropping in a circular saw for the longest part of the cut then clean up the corners with a jig saw. Use the finest tooth blade you can find to get the cleanest cut, and go slow.
this would be the way to go. also put some masking tape on the top layer so it doesnt chip up.

GO SLOW, i am sure u have heard measure 3 times cut 1. and square everything up befor cutting to save yourself from having to redo things.

Doc's_reef09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 05:03 AM   #5
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Rough cut the hole with the jigsaw, leaving 1/4" or so. Then use a router and straightedge to clean up what is left.

You can use a straight edge with the jigsaw also, but if you have access to the router, it will work mutch better.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 05:13 AM   #6
IronMan72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post
Rough cut the hole with the jigsaw, leaving 1/4" or so. Then use a router and straightedge to clean up what is left.

You can use a straight edge with the jigsaw also, but if you have access to the router, it will work mutch better.
+1

A router and straight edge could also be used to make the entire cut. This is especially useful for cutting large, round holes.

IronMan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 06:31 AM   #7
75gsalt
Registered Member

I agree with IronMan, as a contractor we use a router, While the jigsaw will work the doors will still have to be trimmed to be able to open, a router with a 1/8 bit will do it all at once. Good Luck.

Current Tank Info: 75g. reef 125 lbs. live rock 90lbs. live sand 1 Clown small Regal Tang 20 Nass. Snails Turbos hermit
75gsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 10:35 AM   #8
Lanimret
Registered Member

You can do it with a straightedge, but I prefer to do it with an outside form and a bottom bearing bit (or a router collet).

Just take 4 strips of 1/2 particle board (or whatever you have lying around) and build a full guide. This way you can guarantee square and have almost no chance of making a mistake (as long as you clamp it down tight). Just make sure the frame is square and flat on both sides. A 1/8" bit is fine, just go slowly or you'll risk snapping it off.

Lanimret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 01:56 PM   #9
dogstar74
Premium Member

And Take pictures

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon nano with ATS
dogstar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 04:04 PM   #10
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gsalt View Post
I agree with IronMan
You mean Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanimret View Post
as long as you clamp it down tight). Just make sure the frame is square and flat on both sides. A 1/8" bit is fine, just go slowly or you'll risk snapping it off.
Double sided tape is much easier than clamps

Unread 05/11/2010, 07:26 PM   #11
bigffish
Registered Member

Having worked for a boat manufacturer for about 10 years, the method of choice was a hole saw. You can buy generic hole saws up to 5" or 6", good for plywood, starboard, fiberglass that would be my preference.

Bigffish

bigffish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 07:29 PM   #12
mscarpena
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigffish View Post
Having worked for a boat manufacturer for about 10 years, the method of choice was a hole saw. You can buy generic hole saws up to 5" or 6", good for plywood, starboard, fiberglass that would be my preference.

Bigffish
I agree. Holes saw. I have some at work that I can use for free though. Large holes saws are not cheap.

mscarpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 08:20 PM   #13
RRaider
Registered Member

Quote:
You mean Bean

Double sided tape is much easier than clamps
Ok, this is 3/4" plywood, so I assume I will need a very stout router (2hp+) and will need to take it slow, perhaps only going 1/4" or so per pass....

Unread 05/11/2010, 09:29 PM   #14
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:

Bigffish
For round holes that are a reasonable size, sure. But the OP (as he clearly indicated in his first post) is talking about cutting holes for cabinet DOORS

Unread 05/11/2010, 09:36 PM   #15
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRaider View Post
Ok, this is 3/4" plywood, so I assume I will need a very stout router (2hp+) and will need to take it slow, perhaps only going 1/4" or so per pass....
You don't need a big router

If you have a plunge router, you can likely cut the whole panel out in one pass using the template & guide bushing (or bearing bit) method as indicated above.

That said, if you are not familiar with using a router with templates, then you will spend more time making the template and messing around than it is worth.

As I mentioned, I would rough cut the hole out within 1/8" or so of the finished line using a jig-saw. I would then clamp (or use double sided tape) a straightedge to the panel and use it is a guide. The quickgrip clamps are great for this. Use one straight edge as a guide and another as a STOP so that you don't route too far.

Do you have a router? Are you borrowing or buying?

Unread 05/11/2010, 10:19 PM   #16
RRaider
Registered Member

Will be borrowing or buying. I've been reading a lot on router forums dot com and the Craftsman 2hp combo is pretty well liked there as an inexpensive option especially for the new router owner (I haven't used one since high school, 20 or so years ago). So I'm thinking of picking one up.

Unread 05/12/2010, 05:27 AM   #17
IronMan72
Registered Member

A template isn't really needed unless you are making the same cut several times. Just use a straight edge as a guide and clamp it in place on all four sides of the cut. The guide should be clamped at a distance equal to the distance from the base of the router to the edge of the router bit. Then just plunge the bit through the panel and follow your guides. Take it slow and let the bit do the work. You'll be surprised at how easily the router bit cuts through the plywood. IMO this is far more efficient that rough cutting the hole then finishing the edges in a separate step but that will certainly get the job done as well.

Make sure to shoot us some pictures when you're done.

Unread 05/12/2010, 07:58 AM   #18
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

I suggested the rough cut first for a few reasons:

1) so that he does not have to deal with supporting the waste piece. This will prevent cracking and/or binding when the piece sags as material is removed.

2) less depth of cut means less (or no) grabbing

3) less depth of cut meanns less need to regulate feed rate which lessens (removes) the possibility of burning up the bit

If he DOES decide to plunge cut the piece, then it should be done resting on a sacraficial surface and he should use a 1/4" UP SPIRAL bit, not a straight sided cutter.

Unread 05/12/2010, 08:21 AM   #19
bigffish
Registered Member

I insert thy foot into thy mouth

Bigffish

bigffish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2010, 09:15 AM   #20
Luckless
Registered Member

If you don't have a great workshop/space, then I second the rough cut and trim method.

If you are buying a router, then I suggest getting one with an adjustable speed feature, and USE IT. Matching your rotation speed to your bit size can make a nice difference in cutting, and prolonging the life of your bit edge.

Quote:

Bigffish
You are going to try and insert my foot into my mouth, and expect to get away with it? (Old an middle English are dangerous things. Use wisely and with caution.)

Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2010, 09:17 AM   #21
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:

Bigffish
I have NEVER posted in a thread without reading the first post... EVER

Well maybe a few times

Unread 05/12/2010, 12:03 PM   #22
RRaider
Registered Member

Ok, here is another thought. Since this hole on the front of the stand will be the same as the 2x frame perhaps it would be best to do a rough cut with a jig saw and then use a bottom bearing flush trim bit to finish the cut out?

Unread 05/12/2010, 12:33 PM   #23
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

As long as your 2x frame is square and smooth

Unread 05/12/2010, 12:37 PM   #24
RRaider
Registered Member

That's true, 2x's aren't as smooth as I'd like it so I'll use the straight edge approach.

Unread 05/12/2010, 09:24 PM   #25
IronMan72
Registered Member

Quote:
I suggested the rough cut first for a few reasons:

1) so that he does not have to deal with supporting the waste piece. This will prevent cracking and/or binding when the piece sags as material is removed.

2) less depth of cut means less (or no) grabbing

3) less depth of cut meanns less need to regulate feed rate which lessens (removes) the possibility of burning up the bit

If he DOES decide to plunge cut the piece, then it should be done resting on a sacraficial surface and he should use a 1/4" UP SPIRAL bit, not a straight sided cutter.
Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that your method was wrong. I was simply suggesting another method that I think would require fewer steps. There is certainly more than one way to cut a rectangular hole in a sheet of plywood and any of them will get the job done.