Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2020, 02:37 PM   #1
Blake45
Registered Member

Leaving rock in the ocean to seed new tank

Just wondering if anybody has ever left a piece of rock or other porous material in the ocean for a month or so to seed a new tank. I live near the beach and was hoping it would have the same effect that buying live rock used to have. Only difference is it's in Southern California. I imagine temperate oceans will differ in their microbiome slightly when compared to warmer reefs, but I would think quite a bit of beneficial bacteria would still thrive. Any thoughts on this?

Blake45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2020, 02:49 PM   #2
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake45 View Post
Just wondering if anybody has ever left a piece of rock or other porous material in the ocean for a month or so to seed a new tank. I live near the beach and was hoping it would have the same effect that buying live rock used to have. Only difference is it's in Southern California. I imagine temperate oceans will differ in their microbiome slightly when compared to warmer reefs, but I would think quite a bit of beneficial bacteria would still thrive. Any thoughts on this?

A lot of companies in Florida do this. They keep manmade dry rock in the ocean and divers flip it out weekly for a few months and then sell it as live rock. I imagine that as long as the conditions aren’t too polluted or different from your tank you’ll be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Blake45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djryan2000 View Post
A lot of companies in Florida do this. They keep manmade dry rock in the ocean and divers flip it out weekly for a few months and then sell it as live rock. I imagine that as long as the conditions aren’t too polluted or different from your tank you’ll be good.

Oh perfect! I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the quick response!

Unread 09/18/2020, 04:02 PM   #4
MarAquatic
Registered Member

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good stuff on the rock but again you will get creatures that won't tolerate the warmer water

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2020, 06:07 PM   #5
Blake45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarAquatic View Post
I'm sure you'll get a lot of good stuff on the rock but again you will get creatures that won't tolerate the warmer water

Yeah, that’s what I assumed. I’ll give it a try

Unread 09/18/2020, 07:00 PM   #6
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I think you'll have few days of "oooh! look at that!"
then a few days of die off.

the temps in a reef tank are too warm for most of the life in your ocean. Some things may live, but many won't. I don't think you'll break anything by doing it, but I think it's a bit of a waste of time.

If you do it, I hope it turns out really cool!

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2020, 07:19 PM   #7
Blake45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
I think you'll have few days of "oooh! look at that!"
then a few days of die off.

the temps in a reef tank are too warm for most of the life in your ocean. Some things may live, but many won't. I don't think you'll break anything by doing it, but I think it's a bit of a waste of time.

If you do it, I hope it turns out really cool!

That makes sense. I’m mostly doing it for the bacteria. I have about 125 pounds of old dry rock that I’m currently bleach curing. I’m going to start up a tank again with it. I could go buy bacteria, or seed the tank using rock or sand from someone else’s tank, but I kind of want to give this a try. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t run into any unforeseen problems. I don’t think some die off would create too much of a problem. Hopefully.

Unread 09/18/2020, 09:54 PM   #8
MarAquatic
Registered Member

I say do it and let us know

Unread 09/18/2020, 09:56 PM   #9
Blake45
Registered Member

Quote:
I say do it and let us know

Sounds good. It’ll be a while, but I’ll post and update here.

Unread 09/18/2020, 10:19 PM   #10
Tcook
Premium Member

Are you going to put it in a lobster pot and drop it off shore?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2020, 10:39 PM   #11
Blake45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcook View Post
Are you going to put it in a lobster pot and drop it off shore?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I was thinking of finding a rocky area maybe near tide pools or jetties. If I go during low tide I can probably find a decent spot to keep it. Then I’d just come back after a few weeks.

Unread 09/18/2020, 11:59 PM   #12
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Quote:
That makes sense. I’m mostly doing it for the bacteria. I have about 125 pounds of old dry rock that I’m currently bleach curing. I’m going to start up a tank again with it. I could go buy bacteria, or seed the tank using rock or sand from someone else’s tank, but I kind of want to give this a try. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t run into any unforeseen problems. I don’t think some die off would create too much of a problem. Hopefully.
I defintely get where you're coming from, but not all bacteria are the same across the reef. I'd be shocked if there weren't a lot of similar and compatible species between the tropics and temperate waters, but I'd also be shocked if there were more that were suited for both temperatures than one or the other.

I certainly don't mean to stifle your experiment. I definitely can't offer any proof that you're going to win or lose in this. I just wanted to point out that the temp differences are pretty big and that you might not win as much as you think you might...but I could also be wrong. I also don't think that anything bad will happen as a result. I'd guess that, if you could test your bacterial diversity, you'd be somewhere between a good culture and are off to the races and everything out of the ocean dies from heat...leaning a little more toward the latter.

Still, it's a neat opportunity based on your home and I hope it works out.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2020, 07:52 AM   #13
Timfish
Registered Member

Go for it! PaulB has posted about getting sand and stuff from local tidepools in New York for his reef system and they've gottta be temperate. Before and after pictures would be great!

Unread 09/19/2020, 08:00 AM   #14
Blake45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
I defintely get where you're coming from, but not all bacteria are the same across the reef. I'd be shocked if there weren't a lot of similar and compatible species between the tropics and temperate waters, but I'd also be shocked if there were more that were suited for both temperatures than one or the other.

I certainly don't mean to stifle your experiment. I definitely can't offer any proof that you're going to win or lose in this. I just wanted to point out that the temp differences are pretty big and that you might not win as much as you think you might...but I could also be wrong. I also don't think that anything bad will happen as a result. I'd guess that, if you could test your bacterial diversity, you'd be somewhere between a good culture and are off to the races and everything out of the ocean dies from heat...leaning a little more toward the latter.

Still, it's a neat opportunity based on your home and I hope it works out.

I definitely agree with you. I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority are better adapted to their specific environments and won’t survive the temperature changes. But, my thinking is, temperate waters go through some pretty dramatic temperature changes. (In California anywhere from the low 50’s during winter to the 70’s during summer.) So, I’m just hoping that out of the thousands and thousands of strains that are found here in the shallow waters, I’ll have a survival rate that will give me a greater micro-biodiversity (is that a word?) than I could get from a bottle of Dr. Tim’s with 7 strains. Maybe the higher temperatures in a reef tank will just increase their metabolism/proliferation rate? Maybe it will kill them all off? No idea. But I think it would be worth a try.

Unread 09/19/2020, 08:01 AM   #15
Blake45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
Go for it! PaulB has posted about getting sand and stuff from local tidepools in New York for his reef system and they've gottta be temperate. Before and after pictures would be great!

Oh that’s good to know! I’ll definitely send some pictures. It might be a while, but I’ll update here.

Unread 09/20/2020, 06:46 AM   #16
billdogg
Registered Member

I seems like a ok idea, but like others have said, most of the life proably won't survive the transition.

I'd be more concerned with the Federales asking questions when the see you lugging rocks out of the ocean. Is that permissible in Ca? Try it in sunny Florida and you'd be havin some 'splainin to do!!!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2020, 10:27 AM   #17
Blake45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I seems like a ok idea, but like others have said, most of the life proably won't survive the transition.

I'd be more concerned with the Federales asking questions when the see you lugging rocks out of the ocean. Is that permissible in Ca? Try it in sunny Florida and you'd be havin some 'splainin to do!!!

Yeah, I guess it’s a possibility, but I’m not too worried about it. I mean it would be my rock. I’m just leaving it there for a bit.
As for the die off, I’m sure there will be plenty. As long as 1% survives, I’m happy.

Unread 09/20/2020, 11:07 AM   #18
MarAquatic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake45 View Post
Yeah, I guess it’s a possibility, but I’m not too worried about it. I mean it would be my rock. I’m just leaving it there for a bit.
As for the die off, I’m sure there will be plenty. As long as 1% survives, I’m happy.

Put some zip ties with maybe a tag on it

Unread 09/20/2020, 11:08 AM   #19
Blake45
Registered Member

Quote:
Put some zip ties with maybe a tag on it

That’s actually a great idea. I’ll probably do that.

Unread 09/20/2020, 11:10 AM   #20
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

This sounds cool but, it seems like an odd choice. So you're bleaching the rock now presumably to remove all life and to hit 'reset' on it. Then you're going to place it in the ocean for a week or so. What are the chances you'll pick up something undesirable, undoing the bleach sterilization?

I'm all for natural methods, and I have used Florida farmed live rock with great success, but the fact that you are using dry rock and sterilizing it suggest you are trying to avoid the risks of live rock. You're getting it all cleaned up and then throwing it into a unknown, uncontrolled environment.

Most folks that go the dry rock route are trying to avoid risking unwanted hitchhikers, and want total control over what goes in their tanks.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2020, 11:13 AM   #21
Blake45
Registered Member

Yeah it doesn’t make sense, you’re absolutely right. I started the bleach process to avoid a phosphate spike/unwanted algae at the beginning. I had no intentions of leaving the rock in the ocean. But now, I’ve decided to go the ocean route. I thought I might as well finish off the bleach process with all my rock. If anything I’m just being extra protective of the ocean. Don’t want to introduce any unwanted species.

Unread 09/20/2020, 11:15 AM   #22
Blake45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
This sounds cool but, it seems like an odd choice. So you're bleaching the rock now presumably to remove all life and to hit 'reset' on it. Then you're going to place it in the ocean for a week or so. What are the chances you'll pick up something undesirable, undoing the bleach sterilization?

I'm all for natural methods, and I have used Florida farmed live rock with great success, but the fact that you are using dry rock and sterilizing it suggest you are trying to avoid the risks of live rock. You're getting it all cleaned up and then throwing it into a unknown, uncontrolled environment.

Most folks that go the dry rock route are trying to avoid risking unwanted hitchhikers, and want total control over what goes in their tanks.

And I won’t be putting all 125 pounds of my live rock in the ocean. So I still want to remove as much organic material as possible to avoid unwanted algae growth.

Unread 09/20/2020, 11:27 AM   #23
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Stripping rock of all life makes it a perfect blank canvass for algae to colonize. Throwing it into a sunny, shallow tide pool for a week sounds like an algae welcoming party.

If you want to avoid algae with your new setup, the best advice I can give you would be to cycle the tank with the lights out for the full 6-8 weeks.

Unread 09/20/2020, 11:34 AM   #24
Blake45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Stripping rock of all life makes it a perfect blank canvass for algae to colonize. Throwing it into a sunny, shallow tide pool for a week sounds like an algae welcoming party.

If you want to avoid algae with your new setup, the best advice I can give you would be to cycle the tank with the lights out for the full 6-8 weeks.

The rock has already been stripped of life. It was in a large reef tank years back, but it has tons of dead organics all throughout the rock. Those dead organics would serve as a perfect food source for algae and a few weeks of “no lights” won’t produce enough bacteria to eat all of it away. I’d probably be dealing with algae blooms for years to come. Cleaning off the excess organics using a bleach bath seemed the best route. I’ve seen plenty of people do it with great results. Why introduce a bunch of dead debris to a new tank when I can easily leave it outside in a bleach bath? I’m in no hurry to get the tank started.

Unread 09/20/2020, 01:15 PM   #25
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I never suggested you not bleach the rock. You've done it already. I've done it myself. My suggestion was to help you avoid algae.

The two months of lights out while cycling is a proven method for starting new tanks with the 'good' bacteria, while keeping algae and the bacteria that favor algae at bay.

By the way, welcome to RC! Best of luck with your tank.

Tags
bacteria, cycle, live rock, new tank, seeding