Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Jorsan
Registered Member

A never ended cycling

Hi,
I've been cycling my new 30 gallon setup for about 2 1/2 months now using Dr Jim's method. Process was going ok but in the past 3 weeks I'm stocked in 0.4 Nitrites and around 100 nitrates (no ammonia). Always this numbers, no ups or downs. I have lights on for about 4 hours per day but rocks are totally white, no algae of any type. A week ago I added a fish trying to speed the process but died yesterday, don't know why because 0.4 nitrites are not high enough to kill a fish but happened. Some days before I added the fish, had a bacteria bloom (cloudy water) that remains until today.
I know that using artificial rock and no sand (my actual system) makes the process way much slower, but I think something is not going ok. To compensate the lack of areas where bacteria can proliferate, I added to the sump 2 types of ceramic media.
your help will be appreciated. Thanks
My test kits are ok, I have tried them with reverse osmosis water and all values are correct.

Jorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2020, 10:04 AM   #2
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorsan View Post
Hi,
I've been cycling my new 30 gallon setup for about 2 1/2 months now using Dr Jim's method. Process was going ok but in the past 3 weeks I'm stocked in 0.4 Nitrites and around 100 nitrates (no ammonia). Always this numbers, no ups or downs. I have lights on for about 4 hours per day but rocks are totally white, no algae of any type. A week ago I added a fish trying to speed the process but died yesterday, don't know why because 0.4 nitrites are not high enough to kill a fish but happened. Some days before I added the fish, had a bacteria bloom (cloudy water) that remains until today.
I know that using artificial rock and no sand (my actual system) makes the process way much slower, but I think something is not going ok. To compensate the lack of areas where bacteria can proliferate, I added to the sump 2 types of ceramic media.
your help will be appreciated. Thanks

My first thought was you may have chlorine/chloramines. They would certainly kill any beneficial bacteria growing. Maybe try using Prime, and check your source water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2020, 10:05 AM   #3
Jorsan
Registered Member

Hi, thanks for your reply . Im using reverse osmosis water so should be no chlorine

Unread 10/18/2020, 10:06 AM   #4
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorsan View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply . Im using reverse osmosis water so should be no chlorine

Darn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2020, 10:15 AM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

something is massively wrong. I once acquired a live rock that turned out to be a petroleum tar ball, but it did not kill the tank. Look for any copper or brass in any way associated with the tank. Next time you try to introduce life, use snails or micro-hermits, and feed them.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2020, 10:31 AM   #6
Jorsan
Registered Member

I used no live rock so don't think my problem is the same as you described. Dry rock comes from marco rock. Will test for cooper for sure to be sure. Thanks for your input

Last edited by Jorsan; 10/18/2020 at 10:39 AM.
Unread 10/18/2020, 10:56 AM   #7
RioReefr
Registered Member

You should watch this video, it is very informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDI7...BulkReefSupply

Personally, I think 0.4 Nitrites and 100 Nitrates are high and probably do to the bare-bottom.

I am guessing your fish died because of lack of oxygen. Maybe add an air-stone and get rid of any other removal products like GFO, Purigen, etc.

That 30-minute video will probably solve your problem.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2020, 03:19 PM   #8
Jorsan
Registered Member

thanks RioReefr for the link but I already saw it in the past and yes, is very informative. I follow all the recommendations of the method and that's why I'm worry about the result in my system.
The level of 02 in my tank is 8.1 as per my seneye, so looks ok for a fish to live in.
All this must have a reason but I can't find it.

Unread 10/21/2020, 01:30 PM   #9
Jorsan
Registered Member

Sk8r, cooper is cero as per my test so that's no the issue. Thanks

Unread 10/22/2020, 02:30 AM   #10
ckaz
Registered Member

Are you doing water changes? That should help if you have any odd off gassing from the rocks or anything. And did you ever see a spike in ammonia?

ckaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2020, 06:05 AM   #11
Jorsan
Registered Member

no, I don't because is not recommended in the cycling process. About ammonia no spikes, always cero.

Unread 10/22/2020, 10:42 AM   #12
ckaz
Registered Member

Have you done any water changes since setting up?

ckaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2020, 11:45 AM   #13
Jorsan
Registered Member

Just one time 2 weeks ago about 15%, thats all