Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/23/2018, 09:53 PM   #1
laverda
Registered Member

Smile Inexpensive ATSs anyone can build

Anyone can build an algae turf scrubber for almost nothing. You need a inexpensive red & blue LED grow light and 1 - 3 sheets of plastic mesh depending on how big you want it to be. Total cost of less than $30. Hang the sheets in your overflow so the water flows over them. Or fold in a v and tuck it in the weir of your sump. Or float it just below the surface of your sump. Or hang it on the sides of your sump. Get creative! Anywhere you have water flow over or through the mesh, as long as you can light, it will grow algae.

In my experience you can quickly strip all the neturients out of your system once the algae starts growing if you light it 24/7. My corals were clearly not happy when I did so and my cheeto all but died. I adjust my light schedule to keep my nitrate and phosphates where I want them.

Photos coming shortly.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2018, 12:41 AM   #2
laverda
Registered Member

ATS in overflow.

ATS In weir. This one has been folded in a V since this photo was taken.

Horizontal ATS just below surface of sump.

Two weeks growth harvested from both in sump mesh screens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 11/24/2018, 11:06 PM   #3
journeyman
Registered Member

I literally just did this, but with a bubble wand for more water movement over the screen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2019, 12:17 PM   #4
laverda
Registered Member

It is easy to incorporate an ATS into most AIO tanks. Here is how to incorporate an ATS in a JBJ nano cube you need a small peice of plastic needle point mesh available for less than $1 at craft stores. A small red and blue LED grow light avalable on amazon starting at $1. Remove a section of the black sticky plastic from the section of the back you want to put you ATS in. Rough up the mesh so the algae can atach better, Insert the mesh and light it from the back. I would make the ATS 3 sided. Place one peice of mesh vertical opposite the light a second piece I would form into a U or V shape on the sides of the champer. How long you light it will control your nutrient levels. I would light it 24/7 for the first 2 weeks. Once you get noticable growth reduce you light schedule to opposite the display lights. I hope this is clear. Let me know if you have any questions.
This will work in most all in one tanks. The ATS could also be lit from above if you prefer.

I find an easy way to control nutrients and algae in the display is by using an ATS. By making conditions ideal for algae growth in an ATS it will out compete the algae in your display letting you clean up crew and herbavous keep the tank clean. Harvesting the algae from the ATS removed the nutrients from your system. An ATS can be built for very little and is much less expensive than GFO. Dosing small amounts of iron can help the algae grows as you use the existing iron from your system. I woul love to hear your experience.

Unread 01/15/2019, 07:51 PM   #5
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Interesting, as I had the same idea for my Nuvo 30L. I used the “skimmer” compartments, lit from the back and mesh formed into a U shape. I just completed it last week and still waiting for the algae to get established, but it has started.
Great minds think alike!
I’ve had great results with a scrubber on my mixed 115 gal, but wanted to do something much cheaper and simple on this, my office tank. I’m hoping to keep a lot of SPS in it, we’ll see.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2019, 06:22 PM   #6
dmsprague
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
It is easy to incorporate an ATS into most AIO tanks. Here is how to incorporate an ATS in a JBJ nano cube you need a small peice of plastic needle point mesh available for less than $1 at craft stores. A small red and blue LED grow light avalable on amazon starting at $1. Remove a section of the black sticky plastic from the section of the back you want to put you ATS in. Rough up the mesh so the algae can atach better, Insert the mesh and light it from the back. I would make the ATS 3 sided. Place one peice of mesh vertical opposite the light a second piece I would form into a U or V shape on the sides of the champer. How long you light it will control your nutrient levels. I would light it 24/7 for the first 2 weeks. Once you get noticable growth reduce you light schedule to opposite the display lights. I hope this is clear. Let me know if you have any questions.
This will work in most all in one tanks. The ATS could also be lit from above if you prefer.

SNIP.
Thanks for the idea. I have a JBJ 28 gallon and do battle algae quite a bit. I have the mesh already and just ordered a light so I'll post my results later when algae starts growing.

dmsprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 11:10 AM   #7
Forgiven1973
Registered Member

Anyone have a link to a light that they’ve had success with?

Forgiven1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 12:23 PM   #8
laverda
Registered Member

There are so many choices. Just search for LED grow lights. I use ones with just red and blue LEDs. I use 2 of these. One for my overflow ATS and one for my mangroves. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075JFPLY1..._t3_B076B1W99T

This one is nice because it can be configured in a square or rectangular depending on your needs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3DPRKVNK&psc=1

Unread 02/15/2019, 02:29 PM   #9
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

I used these on the back of my Nuvo 30L.
Good results from them on my first scrubber, working well on this one too.
https://www.expressions-ltd.com/prod...algae-scrubber

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 03:28 PM   #10
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsprague View Post
Thanks for the idea. I have a JBJ 28 gallon and do battle algae quite a bit. I have the mesh already and just ordered a light so I'll post my results later when algae starts growing.
What I think saved me in the beginning of running my 29g biocube was that I just shined a LED floodlight from eBay ($12) straight into the middle back chamber, from the back of the tank (through the glass), and just let algae grow on the sides of the chamber. It would have been better with a fancy screen, but it worked on the sides alone.

Then when I did water changes, I would stop the pump, scrape the walls of all of the algae, and siphon out the rear chambers of all of that algae. Killing two birds with one stone plus preventing any algae fro growing in the display. It made starting up a nano much easier.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 03:05 AM   #11
laverda
Registered Member

The screen is far from fancy. $1.00 worth of screen would be all it takes for that application. The screen just is easy to remove and clean. You could argue weather algae grows better or not on the screen.

Tags
ats algae turf scrubber