Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/28/2018, 07:17 PM   #1
Whiskylen
Registered Member

8g SPS nano

Hello everyone here is my 7m old (as of June 19th) 8g nano full of sps frags that are starting to grow

Display fuge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2018, 07:20 PM   #2
Whiskylen
Registered Member

Current specs:
Tank: ALA 60s (same as a ADA 60f) 23.5" x 11.5" x 7.1" tall - 8.6 gal
Overflow/Return: drilled glass holes nano overflow and drilled return
Return Pump: COR 15 with a 4 output manifold
Sump: Trigger ruby 20c (made with blue acrylic instead of red).
Skimmer: Reef Octopus 110sss (not used but available if needed)
Water movement: mp10's x 2 (controlled via reeflink)
Lighting: Orphek Atlantik v4 with gateway (SB reef 16" wifi - replaced)
Refugium chamber 1 (Cheato): the skimmer section of the sump is my macro algae fuge. I have two different types of cheato in there
Refugium chamber 1 lighting: 10"x10" growlight led panel from ebay that illuminates the fuge from the side and is controlled to turn on if my PH drops below 8.2 and go off when it gets above 8.3. There is also a kessil h80 tunaflora that runs 24/7 and turns off if the ph goes over 8.3
Refugium chamber 2 (Display fuge): The refugium section of my trigger sump is a display fuge and is mainly xenia for nutrient export. I also have hammer's, zoas, paly's and shrooms in there. (along with a pair of ORA domino clowns)
Refugium chamber 2 lighting: 18" Current USA orbit marine IC. I have it running on it's built in ramp up and down program.
Controller: Apex Neptune 2016, seneye for ammonia while the tank cycles and PAR, reeflink for the vortechs. I have a FMM with 2 leak detectors, a optical sensor and a flow sensor for the return
ATO: tunze osmolator with a trigger crystal 10g ATO container
Dosing: Neptune DOS for Nitrate and Phosphate. 2 x brs 1.1 ml/min for Alk and cal
Water changes:2 x brs 50 ml/min dosers. I have a 5g trigger ato container for salt water and a 10g trigger ato container for waste water
Heater: 2x finnex titanium 100w units (I like redundancy) I control them with my APEX but thier built in controllers are set at 81' if the apex fails
Media reactors: I have a bashsea 4"x12" media reactor hooked up to my manifold that has BRS carbon in it

Maintenance and Feeding

Water changes:
I use my ATS to do about 1/8 gallon a day. My 5g container will lay me a month
Coral feeding: I feed my corals a combination of reef roids and reef chili in the morning and evening
Coral supplements: I add rd sea reef energy A & B in the morning and evening when I feed
Alk, Cal and Mag: I use ESV bionic 2 part to keep my alk at 9 dkh, Cal at 450 and Red Sea foundation to keep my Mag at 1350. I test Cal and Mag weekly and adjust my daily dose accordingly. I test alk daily and adjust my dosing according
Trace Elements: I add Red Sea colors weekly based on my calcium consumption

Unread 06/28/2018, 08:31 PM   #3
maddmaxx
Registered Member

awesome set up. i like when even a small system like this is well put together. im a fan lol kudos

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2018, 09:01 AM   #4
Whiskylen
Registered Member

This is how you keep your wife happy, she wanted a small reef tank to start out with based on a frag tank she saw at the local fish store. (She actually picked the tank out and bought it herself)

She never said I couldn't make it the most advanced 8g nano ever set up, lol. She knew it would happen based on my other tanks. She also wanted it to be able to be left for extended periods since we go on vacations a lot.

She is actually amazed at how quickly the coral is growing and has asked when will we need to upgrade. She also feels bad for the 2 clowns "David & Goliath" that are in the display fuge and wants a bigger tank for them.

Unread 11/01/2018, 07:16 AM   #5
Whiskylen
Registered Member

Well it’s been a while since I posted and a lot has changed.

The main thing is I moved at the end of Aug so the whole system had to make it through a relocation. I lost a few sps but overall the tank is doing well and looks great in its new home

Unread 01/03/2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Whiskylen
Registered Member

My tank got a big brother/sister