Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2018, 04:24 PM   #1
McCune
Registered Member

magnifica anemone Question

So I am looking at getting a magnifica anemone for my tank. Tank will house anemones and a few fish. Has anyone had any issues with the mag eating their fish.

I have heard that to keep the mag in one place you need a flat smooth rock.
I have a nice flat rock on top but it’s jot smooth. I know some have used putty to make the rock flat is this the behest practice

McCune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 04:50 PM   #2
D-Nak
Registered Member

My mags never ate any fish, but I don't think there's any guarantee that they won't.

A smooth rock is the best, and putty can definitely help, but assuming there aren't deep crevices, the mag should be fine.

Unread 01/26/2018, 05:03 PM   #3
McCune
Registered Member

Will my QDMP40 work or would there be a better choice for powerhead

McCune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 06:11 PM   #4
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCune View Post
Will my QDMP40 work or would there be a better choice for powerhead
I personally like Gyres for anemone tanks because the flow is typically more laminar, and less direct as with an MP40. You can place Gyres high in the tank without them sucking in air. MP40s that are too high in the tank will create a vortex and you end up with bubbles all over the tank.

Also, a MP40 can chop up a nem that gets caught in it. IME with Gyres, if a nem gets caught in it, it does far less damage.

Last edited by D-Nak; 01/27/2018 at 01:04 PM.
D-Nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 10:35 AM   #5
reefsponge
Registered Member

Mine has eaten both a juvenile foxface and kole tang. I think these 2 were both poking the bear by grazing to close. Very sticky effective tentacles.

reefsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 08:36 PM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

My many Magnifica anemones have never eat any fish. Only Haddoni or Gigantea ate fish in my tank.
For attachment, any reasonable fat surface will do especially if there is plenty of light ( like right under a 400 W MH and plenty of water movement will do well.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 08:57 AM   #7
elegance coral
They call me EC

I've been keeping magnifica for many years. Only lost one fish, a yellow tang, to them.
IMHO, the most important part of placing a magnifica is putting it on a pedestal where it can't detect a path to higher ground. If it can reach out and touch the glass or other rocks, it's likely to go on a walk about. They are not likely to move down hill. So, if they're placed on top of a column, with nothing around them, they are very likely to stay there. Good random flow, and a point source of light, like a MH, as Minh pointed out, will also help to keep them in place. Given the right environment, they will stay put for years on end.
HTH
Peace
EC

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 02:47 PM   #8
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegance coral View Post
I've been keeping magnifica for many years. Only lost one fish, a yellow tang, to them.
IMHO, the most important part of placing a magnifica is putting it on a pedestal where it can't detect a path to higher ground. If it can reach out and touch the glass or other rocks, it's likely to go on a walk about. They are not likely to move down hill. So, if they're placed on top of a column, with nothing around them, they are very likely to stay there. Good random flow, and a point source of light, like a MH, as Minh pointed out, will also help to keep them in place. Given the right environment, they will stay put for years on end.
HTH
Peace
EC
Every week, my magnifica will walk down the pedestal and do a circle around, then go back up. He usually does this when the lights go off and climbs back on top of the pedestal after the lights come back on in the morning. Good thing I have no corals around there yet =)

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 04:07 PM   #9
Pavlo
Registered Member

Lost a few fish to mine. Naso tang was the biggest but also lost a few gobies, chromis and other smaller fish.

Pavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 08:21 PM   #10
davocean
Registered Member

The only time I ever lost a fish to a mag was an overly excited chromis chasing food when I placed mysis just as my vort kicked up towards it, since then I place food farther away.

I have 2 MP40QD's and have vorts for years and never had an issue, though I do exactly as mentioned keeping a pedestal up high specifically scaped for a mag, so no wandering at all.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 07:37 AM   #11
elegance coral
They call me EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Every week, my magnifica will walk down the pedestal and do a circle around, then go back up. He usually does this when the lights go off and climbs back on top of the pedestal after the lights come back on in the morning. Good thing I have no corals around there yet =)
Something must be off. Light, flow, water chemistry....... The anemone should not be wasting that much energy. I would be trying to solve the problem before the anemone runs out of gas.

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 01:35 PM   #12
OrionN
Moved on

^^^I agree^^^

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 02/16/2018, 01:37 PM   #13
Kinetic
Registered Member

I have no idea. It hasn't moved in 3 weeks. But every so often it'll do a lap when the lights are off. For awhile it was moving once a week, but always ended up on top of the pedestal.

It's been 3 weeks since it moved last, and nothing changed.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 08:43 PM   #14
Swayze27
Registered Member

I have two good size h.mags and both are next to each other and are at the highest point and in moderate to heavy flow. Have not hardly moved since I placed them probably a year ago. I'm missing a few tangs, lol. Witnessed the larger mag eat a small vlamingi tang. I think it's been bad timing on the tangs part though. They swim between the nem and the powerhead and if they are there when the powerhead pulses then I think they zig instead of zag and it's over. Never had a clown eaten though, lol.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon w/ 55 gallon sump
Swayze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 09:20 PM   #15
brad
Registered Member

My mag is on a rock that is neither flat nor smooth. It has moved less than 2 inches from where I put it 3 years ago. To my knowledge, it never ate a fish.

brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 06:36 PM   #16
Mirror Pond
Premium Member

My 11 year old mag has never ate a fish as far as I know. My gigs and haddoni are another story.

Mirror Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 09:59 PM   #17
OrionN
Moved on

I keep a number of Magnifica since 1999. None ever eat any fish. Like Mirror Pond, my Gigantea and Haddoni are another story.