Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2018, 12:22 AM   #1
sik_z33
Registered Member

Yellow watchman goby spawned

My yellow watchman goby pair have spawned after 5 years together. I have kept them in a 75 gallon reef tank with a big mean maroon clown since 2013. Recently I moved them to a new 180 gallon system where they have been for 3 months with 3 chromis, 2 clowns, and other little peaceful fish which I believe has promoted them to breed (I never witnessed the female swollen or the eggs in the previous tank).

I am no breeder, however I have all the necessary equipment to attempt to keep them alive and am trying to source the missing rotifers locally. I found this wealth of information http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/ft/index.php.

I am going to attempt to remove the egg sack on day 4 prior to lights out, if unable to remove I'll watch the eggs on night 4 until they hatch and collect as many as I can and place them in a blacked out 10 gallon tank with ~5 gallons of tank water at 78-80F. From there I will keep them aerated and saturated with rotifers. Any experience on when they may hatch, how long till metamorphisis, and what else they will eat or any advice is appreciated!

sik_z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 08:24 AM   #2
kizanne
Registered Member

Congratz. ��
Keep us posted.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 11:50 PM   #3
sik_z33
Registered Member

The eggs hatched last night after 4 days of incubation, I pulled the egg sack from the tank right before lights out at 11 pm and placed them in a 32 oz bowl floating in 5 gallons of water in the 10 gallon fry tank with gentle bubbles. I checked at 1 am and 50% had hatched.

These guys are tiny maybe 2mm in length! I added a good dose of rotifers to their bowl immediately fingers crossed they are eating.

sik_z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 06:03 AM   #4
kizanne
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 04:41 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

Neat. They are one of my favorite fish, and they're very devoted partners.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 03:22 AM   #6
Driftdiver
Registered Member

I am curious if you were able to successfully rear any of the fry? Have your brood pair spawned again?

Driftdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2018, 03:19 PM   #7
Flybynight
Registered Member

Any updates?