Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2013, 01:00 PM   #51
bluesplayer86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnavarro170 View Post
well you bought live rock, you dont want to kill it all off. But thats why i go with dry rock now. no surprises just takes longer to have an established tank.
+1
I always start of with dry rock that way im know for sure i have no hitch hikers

bluesplayer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2013, 04:26 PM   #52
Snyper19
Registered Member

We ll I just came back from lfs and they gladly exchange rocks, he offered me to buy the Aiptasia killer but I asked if I could exchange it and they said yes .... So I ended up exchanging rocks...

I know there will be a time when I get more of these things but hopefully not that soon....

Thanks again everyone

Snyper19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2013, 08:50 PM   #53
Snyper19
Registered Member

Finally everything is full of water ... Can't wait to add corals and fish

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 04/21/2013, 12:19 AM   #54
rpjaws74
Registered Member

congrats bro...now the fun begins

Current Tank Info: 500 glln system/ Reef
rpjaws74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2013, 04:55 PM   #55
Snyper19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjaws74 View Post
congrats bro...now the fun begins
Thanks, can't wait

Unread 04/26/2013, 10:49 AM   #56
Snyper19
Registered Member

Well I just found 2 tiny Aiptasia growing in my tank, can't wait to kill these things... Need to go buy Aiptasia X or is there something else I could use, I saw videos of people using a laser and others using lemon juice, does this really work?

Unread 04/26/2013, 10:52 AM   #57
Snyper19
Registered Member

Also, I see my water temperatures ranges from 79 to 81.5, I don't turn on the lights , only for 1-2 hours since I don't have anything there..... is this too hot? I don't own a chiller yet I'm still cycling

Unread 04/26/2013, 10:57 PM   #58
Snyper19
Registered Member

Just killed our first 2 Aiptasia, it looked and felt cool

Unread 04/27/2013, 01:04 AM   #59
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper19 View Post
Well I just found 2 tiny Aiptasia growing in my tank, can't wait to kill these things... Need to go buy Aiptasia X or is there something else I could use, I saw videos of people using a laser and others using lemon juice, does this really work?
never really had great luck with aiptasiaX, they usually come back

Quote:
Also, I see my water temperatures ranges from 79 to 81.5, I don't turn on the lights , only for 1-2 hours since I don't have anything there..... is this too hot? I don't own a chiller yet I'm still cycling
thats not hot or bad at all, if your getting close to 85 then you need to cool it down a bit. the key is no major swings of over 2-3 degrees

Quote:
Just killed our first 2 Aiptasia, it looked and felt cool
what did you end up using ?

Unread 04/27/2013, 01:37 AM   #60
Snyper19
Registered Member

Quote:
never really had great luck with aiptasiaX, they usually come back

thats not hot or bad at all, if your getting close to 85 then you need to cool it down a bit. the key is no major swings of over 2-3 degrees

what did you end up using ?
Hopefully I do not get them back in a long time... I used the aiptasia rx, couldn't find the aiptasia X but I guess it's kinda the same thing...

About water temperatures it usually stay about that high (81.3), hopefully I can get a chiller soon since I can't afford converting my home AC to refrigerated air

Unread 04/27/2013, 04:18 PM   #61
Snyper19
Registered Member

My tank aiptasia free "for the moment", and my new addition "I don't know what its name" but I like it . I notice my sand and one side of the rock is turning brown, this is normal I would guess

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 04/27/2013, 06:05 PM   #62
jweintraub
Registered Member

The brown is very normal for a new tank. Everybody's favorite... Diatoms! They go away with time as long as you're using RO/DI with regular water changes.

jweintraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2013, 09:11 PM   #63
rpjaws74
Registered Member

I think you will need a chiller later on as you start leaving the lights on longer and the days get hotter.... I'm a fan of chillers cause I know what I use to go thru when I didn't! Now that I have one it's probably one of the best purchases I've made IMO. But tank is looking good

Current Tank Info: 500 glln system/ Reef
rpjaws74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2013, 11:37 PM   #64
Snyper19
Registered Member

After I was celebrating that I fixed the leak I saw this on my coral, there is like a hole in the coral like if something wants to grow from there or I dunno, is it dying? Need your expert opinion.... Thanks hopefully you can see what I'm talking about...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 05/01/2013, 10:18 PM   #65
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

nothing wrong, they grow in stalks.

Unread 05/03/2013, 08:34 PM   #66
Snyper19
Registered Member

My other additions!!
My son couldn't be happier!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 05/03/2013, 08:52 PM   #67
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

you can run the lights alot less to help with the algae growin, still new so slow down just a tad on any more additions. i know its hard. I recommend getting some dr tims one and only also.

Unread 05/03/2013, 09:07 PM   #68
Snyper19
Registered Member

Yes that's what I was told to reduce the algae grow ... It was really hard lol and my wife didn't help much.... She wanted to buy everything

Thanks for The tips!!

What is the dr Tim's for? I haven't heard of it

Unread 05/03/2013, 09:16 PM   #69
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

its to seed and speed up your cycle process, good stuff can only help.

Unread 05/03/2013, 09:23 PM   #70
Snyper19
Registered Member

Quote:
its to seed and speed up your cycle process, good stuff can only help.
Muchas gracias!

Unread 05/03/2013, 11:55 PM   #71
Snyper19
Registered Member

What do you guys use to feed corals? I only heard about something called FUel and another bottle that said Calcium, are these good?

I'm just reading about ESV B-Ionic, is this one good?

Last edited by Snyper19; 05/04/2013 at 12:06 AM.
Unread 05/04/2013, 12:42 PM   #72
stacy_vennes
Registered Member

both esv b-ionic and the seachem aquavitro line are good we use both those products and have never had any problems and had great growth while using them really its just a matter of how much you want to spend on stuff for your tank

stacy_vennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2013, 05:50 PM   #73
peacepleasure
Registered Member

Nice tank set up and welcome to the hobby. I just wanted to share with you that with a new tank comes stages of good bacteria growth. During the first year of a tanks life it will go thru stages of algae blooms such as diatom, hair algae, cynobacteria, they occur to help build up different beneficial bacteria which is where a well established tank comes from. You can minimize these blooms by doing your regular water changes and just making sure you use good rodi water and don't over feed. The less you do this the longer the stages will last. When it comes to diatom tho...which it looks like with the brown stuff on your sand and rocks.. and I know it's very tempting but leave it. The diatom thrive off of silicates which are in silicone..sand.. The more diatom you have in your tank the quicker it will consume its food (silicates) the faster it will starve it's self out and go away.

Current Tank Info: future 40B sps w/ 100g sump
peacepleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2013, 06:18 PM   #74
Snyper19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepleasure View Post
Nice tank set up and welcome to the hobby. I just wanted to share with you that with a new tank comes stages of good bacteria growth. During the first year of a tanks life it will go thru stages of algae blooms such as diatom, hair algae, cynobacteria, they occur to help build up different beneficial bacteria which is where a well established tank comes from. You can minimize these blooms by doing your regular water changes and just making sure you use good rodi water and don't over feed. The less you do this the longer the stages will last. When it comes to diatom tho...which it looks like with the brown stuff on your sand and rocks.. and I know it's very tempting but leave it. The diatom thrive off of silicates which are in silicone..sand.. The more diatom you have in your tank the quicker it will consume its food (silicates) the faster it will starve it's self out and go away.
Thanks a lot!!!
I was told that I should feed the fish a 1/4 of the Brine Shrimp cube food in the morning and another 1/4 in the night... is this accurate or should I feed them 1/2 cube once a day?

about the brown algae, i was told by people here in the forum and at the lfs that is because of the lights ... they're usually on 7 hrs a day (now that I have fish and a few corals...) before I just turned them on for about 2-3 hrs (just because I liked looking at that lol)

Thanks guys!!

Unread 05/04/2013, 07:11 PM   #75
peacepleasure
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot!!!
I was told that I should feed the fish a 1/4 of the Brine Shrimp cube food in the morning and another 1/4 in the night... is this accurate or should I feed them 1/2 cube once a day?

about the brown algae, i was told by people here in the forum and at the lfs that is because of the lights ... they're usually on 7 hrs a day (now that I have fish and a few corals...) before I just turned them on for about 2-3 hrs (just because I liked looking at that lol)

Thanks guys!!
Lights can contribute to it but on the biological side of it, it is by far not just the lights. I don't like to post other sites but because your new to this and you should research from a various number of reputable sites go check out http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6...ping+made+easy. The member Geoff is awesome and knows a lot in biology and how everything works on that stand point. On the food, I pretty much eye ball it. I put enough in there that it was all eaten within a few minutes.

Current Tank Info: future 40B sps w/ 100g sump
peacepleasure is offline   Reply With Quote