Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/01/2019, 06:27 PM   #3101
Thor2j
Registered Member

I have mixed reef but 4 large acro colonies thriving under ap 700s only.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thor2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2019, 06:47 PM   #3102
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makers marc View Post
Does anyone run a succesful Acropora tank, using the AP700s only?

Can't seem to find anyone to speak up. And I hope someone does.

If you do, please show pics of your setup, mount height, and light schedule.

Pllleeeaasse! Before I force myself to buy t5s to supplement.

I have a mixed reef that leans towards sps with just 1 ap700

Keep In mind this is 1 ap700 on a 4ft 75 gallon tank mounted about 15-16” off the water if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfaso24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2019, 06:53 PM   #3103
makers marc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaso24 View Post
I have a mixed reef that leans towards sps with just 1 ap700

Keep In mind this is 1 ap700 on a 4ft 75 gallon tank mounted about 15-16” off the water if I remember correctly.

Wow. Thanks for sharing Mfaso. How long have you had your ap700s running the show?

At that height, can you share your lighting schedule/intensity and at what spectrum?

Also, how do you normally acclimate new corals that came from t5s?

2xJebao wp25/Kessil Ap700/Kalk via Tunze ATO/GFO (6 tbsps every 2 wks); Carbon (6 tbsps per month)
makers marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2019, 07:02 PM   #3104
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow. Thanks for sharing Mfaso. How long have you had your ap700s running the show?

At that height, can you share your lighting schedule/intensity and at what spectrum?

Also, how do you normally acclimate new corals that came from t5s?

Happy to help!
I’ve had this ap700 since the day it came out, which is also when this tank was setup, so October will be 4 years for the tank and the light.

How do I acclimate corals from t5? So I typically don’t do anything different regardless of the lighting it comes from. In the beginning I used to place the coral low and gradually move it up. Later on I honestly just put it straight in its spot and havnt really worried about and havnt really had an issue. Although as I’m writing this, I’m not exactly sure if many of my frags came from t5.

My lighting schedule is really simply. I run the lights for 12 hours a day, 9 am to 9 pm. I start at the bluest setting and ramp up to 85% and the blue color directly in the middle of the Kessil logic colors. I keep it at that spectrum and intensity from 11-7 and then ramp back down to the bluest again. I also have 1 hour of “moonlighting”. I say it in quotes because the ap700’s moonlights are kind of bright, but I use it anyway.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions don’t hesitate.

Unread 07/07/2019, 07:12 PM   #3105
makers marc
Registered Member

Quote:
Happy to help!
I’ve had this ap700 since the day it came out, which is also when this tank was setup, so October will be 4 years for the tank and the light.

How do I acclimate corals from t5? So I typically don’t do anything different regardless of the lighting it comes from. In the beginning I used to place the coral low and gradually move it up. Later on I honestly just put it straight in its spot and havnt really worried about and havnt really had an issue. Although as I’m writing this, I’m not exactly sure if many of my frags came from t5.

My lighting schedule is really simply. I run the lights for 12 hours a day, 9 am to 9 pm. I start at the bluest setting and ramp up to 85% and the blue color directly in the middle of the Kessil logic colors. I keep it at that spectrum and intensity from 11-7 and then ramp back down to the bluest again. I also have 1 hour of “moonlighting”. I say it in quotes because the ap700’s moonlights are kind of bright, but I use it anyway.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions don’t hesitate.

It does. It at least shows me one person that has had some sps success using ap700s all by themselves, without supplemental lighting.

I may PM you later with more Qs. Thanks.

2xJebao wp25/Kessil Ap700/Kalk via Tunze ATO/GFO (6 tbsps every 2 wks); Carbon (6 tbsps per month)
makers marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2019, 07:15 PM   #3106
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
It does. It at least shows me one person that has had some sps success using ap700s all by themselves, without supplemental lighting.

I may PM you later with more Qs. Thanks.

I can relate to that. I’ve tried looking for the same thing to no avail. A part of me has said “I should make a YouTube video on this light” just cause it’s amazing how little there is out there.

Unread 07/07/2019, 07:34 PM   #3107
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
I can relate to that. I’ve tried looking for the same thing to no avail. A part of me has said “I should make a YouTube video on this light” just cause it’s amazing how little there is out there.

Honestly, I think it’s likely because the absolute lions share of users for this light either have hybrids setups, or just aren’t that into sps. It’s a relatively new and tech advanced light, the type users that purchase it are more than likely on forums and willing to share. I just think they are mostly mixed tank keepers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2019, 07:42 PM   #3108
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
Honestly, I think it’s likely because the absolute lions share of users for this light either have hybrids setups, or just aren’t that into sps. It’s a relatively new and tech advanced light, the type users that purchase it are more than likely on forums and willing to share. I just think they are mostly mixed tank keepers

I would agree with that. I just meant in general there’s no that many reviews of the light as compared to something like ecotech or AI lights.

Unread 07/08/2019, 09:28 AM   #3109
richfam10
Registered Member

My 2 360’s on my 87 gal planet Aquarium...
Mostly softies but only running 80%.

richfam10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2019, 09:32 AM   #3110
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post

Agreed, I use mine in a hybrid.

Unread 10/30/2019, 08:52 AM   #3111
rappyfly
Registered Member

These are 360WE. 100% intensity with 65% on color from 11am to 5pm. lighting period from 9am-8pm. few more pics.

Quote:
Beautiful.

But is this with ap700s only and if so, please share your lighting schedule and layout, and time you've had it?

I tried searching your posts to answer my Qs but didn't find a build thread

rappyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2019, 05:41 PM   #3112
tmnails
Registered Member

Im building a new 180 gallon tank, standard size 6x2x2. I contacted Kessil and asked for their recommendation on how many of the A360x's I need. Here's what they said:

"Thanks*for reaching out to us! We recommend 3-4 A360Xs for a 6-foot tank. This will depend on how heavily stocked the tank is and the types of coral you are growing."

I plan on a standard mixed reef, definitely doing lps and sps. What do you all think? Three or four?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

tmnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2019, 10:10 AM   #3113
smatter
Registered Member

I'd start with three and add more later if needed. Three will fit nicely between the braces.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2019, 10:43 AM   #3114
tmnails
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatter View Post
I'd start with three and add more later if needed. Three will fit nicely between the braces.
Thanks I'm going with 3, but it's a rimless! And premium aquatics has a sale on Aquatic Life fixtures right now. $600 x18 led/t5 hybrid 61" on sale for $510 if you call.

It has built in mounts to hold kessils!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

tmnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2019, 11:04 AM   #3115
smatter
Registered Member

Sweet!

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2019, 11:19 AM   #3116
gokhantiknaz
Registered Member

Hello everyone i just bought 2XA160 Kessil for my İnnovative Marine Fusion 50
Tank size 76cm x 60cm(45cm+15cm sump)x 45cm.

It's a SPS tank.Some acro and montipora.

What do you think? are the lights enough for the tank? Or do i need something else?

And what should my controller program be?

Here is my tank Foto.

gokhantiknaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2020, 04:16 PM   #3117
maik1
Registered Member

After nearly 10 years in the hobby with home made led lights and loosing coral after coral over the years I have made the change to 4 Kessil a360x lights.
The maximum par from my home made leds at the waterline was 105 par. The new a360x Kessil lights have that at 29% intensity.
I have checked what it would be at 100%, at the waterline 375-460!

How should I acclimate the fish/corals to the new Kessil lights? Run the acclimation program? Set a new program up to 29% intensity and acclimate to that?
If anyone could please tell me what I should do that would be helpful.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited by maik1; 01/12/2020 at 04:28 PM.
maik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2020, 05:24 PM   #3118
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Either turn them down or raise them up, OR Both.
You know your tank better than we do.
Don't worry about the fish too much.
Don't have Kessil's so I have no knowledge about the acclimation program.

Unread 01/12/2020, 09:02 PM   #3119
LexSkizzle
Registered Member

Finally pulled the trigger on two 360x's tuna blue for my standard 4ft 75g mixed reef tank and all I can say is WOW. I think these lights make any tank look good. I used to have the A150s when they first came out years ago and really missed that shimmer. I didn't have much luck with them at the time and ended up bleaching over half of my corals.

I ended up going with Reefbreeders t48 fixture which did pretty well actually, but it finally gave up after 7 years so, Im trying my luck again with the latest 360x's.

Lights are currently mounted 12" above the water line. Although my old Reefbreeders T48 LED lights worked well for my mixed reef (predominately soft corals), I only ran those lights at max 55%. Any recommendations on where to set the intensity on the new 360x?

I'm scared to go over 50% intensity on my current light schedule b/c these seem really bright. Also, not running any violet, red or green yet. Just the blue/white balance and intensity. I start messing around with those colors once the tank get acclimated to the new lights.

Current Tank Info: 75g Rimless, 20g refugium, mixed reef, 2-Kessil 360x, MP40/MP10, Essence S-130, Eheim1262
LexSkizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2020, 06:36 AM   #3120
maik1
Registered Member

I used a par meter to know what my few corals that I have left saw with my old leds, I now set a new profile to 29% so the output of the Kessil lights doesn't exceed the par reading from the previous lights. BUT I am also acclimating the corals for the next week at 20% because the Kessil have the light spectrum the corals need which I am sure the old leds did not. So the new lights may have the same par, they sure will have a different spectrum. After a week or so I will be slowly bringing them up to 50%-60% over a couple of month.Maybe I am wrong but it can't hurt.

maik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2020, 01:26 PM   #3121
colgan10
Registered Member

my new reef tank i have up and running for about a month now is 72x30x32. I currently have three a360x on it. I had a 180 that i had a great mixed reef running three metal halides this is my first experience with LED's since i was out of the hobby while living in hawaii. Will this be enough lighting for my tank to have a mixed reef or do i need to add more? Its a big deep tank. Thanks

colgan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2020, 10:14 AM   #3122
NYCBOB
Registered Member

when i first had it, no more then 40% intensity to get corals acclimated. after 2-3 months, i had them at 75% intensity max.

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2020, 05:21 PM   #3123
dfleary
Premium Member

Question A360X TunaBlue Presets?

Anyone know what the A360X TunaBlue preset color and intensity values are? I would like to create my own Quick Set using the same color values as in the default preset, but will reduce the intensity at a few of the times during the day.

Current Tank Info: 120 Gal. Marine
dfleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2020, 05:52 PM   #3124
dfleary
Premium Member

I figured out how to adjust the preset schedule, and changed a couple of times and reduced the intensity where I wanted. But another question: Now that I've got the schedule adjusted to my liking, will the Spectral Controller X remember these settings after a power outage or if the lights are unplugged?

Current Tank Info: 120 Gal. Marine
dfleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2020, 04:52 PM   #3125
milkman754
Registered Member

Hi, looking for a h80 with gooseneck mount reasonably priced.

milkman754 is offline   Reply With Quote