Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/13/2019, 01:44 AM   #1
Vincero
Registered Member

Plumbing - where to learn more?

Not new to the hobby, but looking to learn more about different plumbing set ups.

I'm particularly interested in learning about different configurations for a closed loop set up. (I think I understand the basic concept, but unsure about how it works with a sump).

Flirting with the idea of designing a new system, so keen to learn more. Are there any sites that go over this in depth? -- I can only seem to find plumbing info on open loop set ups.

Vincero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2019, 04:36 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

A closed loop has nothing to do with a sump..
A closed loop setup is simply an external mounted pump/plumbing system that circulates water in the display tank..
Its very basic form is just an inlet and outlet somewhere in the display tank where water is pulled/drained from the tank.. Goes through the pump and pushed right back into the tank again..

Its just creating circulation much like a powerhead does..

Unread 06/13/2019, 10:17 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

And a powerhead is WAY less complicated. They solve the problem closed loops were designed for. In one sense your sump is one grand closed loop with water conditioning somewhere in the sump, but we don't consider it as that, because a sump does additional things, such as provide room for a skimmer.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2019, 02:55 AM   #4
Vincero
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I'm aware that the sump doesn't qualify as part of a CLS. However, most CL set ups on here seem to feature a sump as well? (So I guess they're not 'true' closed loops).

So basically, you'd run the closed loop pump(s) as a substitute for wavemakers. And then, if you wanted a sump, you'd plumb it in to the display using a separate return pump?

I know the closed loops aren't fashionable these days, but again, the plumbing side of things interests me. It looks like there are a lot of ways to skin the cat, so to speak.

Vincero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2019, 04:32 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincero View Post
So basically, you'd run the closed loop pump(s) as a substitute for wavemakers. And then, if you wanted a sump, you'd plumb it in to the display using a separate return pump?
Yes

Unread 06/14/2019, 07:05 AM   #6
2000se
Registered Member

@Viscera - If you have a central HVAC installed in your home, that setup is the equivalent of a closed loop system. The return (where the filter is) pulls air into the AC unit (pump), then push it back out all the returns throughout the house. Your home is the main display aquarium!
The return is where the water would enter a pipe that is connected to an external pump (need not be located in a sump - can be mounted anywhere) which pumps the water entering the return back into the tank through the supply lines. You're just moving water around.. Hope this helps.

2000se is offline   Reply With Quote