Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2016, 06:49 PM   #1
Skorkokios1489
Registered Member

Exclamation Mold inside stand

Hello reef central!!!!! I'm new to this hobby and I'm looking for some advice. I have a completely sealed wooden stand made up of 1/4" plywood and 2x4. Here is the problem I've ran into I have the tank running for about 2 weeks now into a sump and I noticed on the stand wall of the first chamber (drain side) there is grayish fuzzy mold it looks like I just purchased a computer fan 140mm big and am planing on installing it to pull air out of the stand. Will this prevent for any further mold issues inside the stand, or do I need to disassemble all the plumbing and seal the inside of the stand. Thank you any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I already cleaned the mold off with white vinegar and water mix if that helps?

Skorkokios1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 07:10 PM   #2
Texas Paul
Registered Member.

What is "completely sealed"? Sealed with polyurethane? Pics can help. I've never seen mold in a sump. Anyone else?

Texas Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Skorkokios1489
Registered Member

Sorry forgot to do that

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.5 KB, 31 views)
Unread 01/22/2016, 07:15 PM   #4
vertigo01
Registered Member

I plan on making my stand as airtight as possible and will be using 2 smallish computer fan's. 1 to bring in fresh air, and 1 to exhaust stale air.

If possible I would suggest you mount your fan on side of the stand as opposed to the back. That way, you aren't continuously blowing moist air against your wall, where mold could possibly grow.

vertigo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 07:17 PM   #5
Skorkokios1489
Registered Member

There is no mold in the sump it's self it's on the inner stand walls and sealed meaning there is no openings for fresh air I'm sorry for the vague description

Unread 01/22/2016, 07:22 PM   #6
Skorkokios1489
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo01 View Post
I plan on making my stand as airtight as possible and will be using 2 smallish computer fan's. 1 to bring in fresh air, and 1 to exhaust stale air.

If possible I would suggest you mount your fan on side of the stand as opposed to the back. That way, you aren't continuously blowing moist air against your wall, where mold could possibly grow.
Ok will do I was planning on mounting it to the side were the first chamber is because it's open space there now do I have to disassemble everything and remove sump to seal the stand or will the fan fix the problem?

Unread 01/22/2016, 07:53 PM   #7
thegrun
Registered Member

On a side note you should use the fan to push fresh air into the stand, not exhaust air out of the stand or your fan will not last long in the saltwater environment.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 07:57 PM   #8
Skorkokios1489
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
On a side note you should use the fan to push fresh air into the stand, not exhaust air out of the stand or your fan will not last long in the saltwater environment.
By pushing fresh air into the stand will it eliminate the humidity and growth of mold in the future?

Unread 01/22/2016, 08:06 PM   #9
Texas Paul
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorkokios1489 View Post
By pushing fresh air into the stand will it eliminate the humidity and growth of mold in the future?
It will, but it may need a vent on the other side since there is no way out. I've never had a stand I can't vent out a large vent in the back. Others may chime in with an enclosed stand. Never seen one...anyone? I'm interested as well.

Texas Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold, stand, sump, wood stand