Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/29/2012, 10:53 AM   #1
TheNamesBond
Registered Member

building a 1400 gallon system - any advice gratefully accepted!

Hi all

I had a marine tank some 20 years ago and i know a lot has changed!

I have been dreaming of building a new tank and now have the opportunity.

I am planning two tanks in a L shape - the first tank 7ft x 4ft x 4ft a reef and fish tank.

The second tank feeding from the first tank (slower circulation) 5ft x 4 ft x 4ft was planing / had an idea this would have lots of live rock - corals live sand shrimps plants ect (none or very few fish) and would partly act as a filter for the main tank - then a sump / refugium 5ft x 3 ft x 2ft 6. this would be lit at nights.

I would like a fully or as near possible automated system so would like any advice on a controller system.

I also am starting to think i wont fit all the required pumps, skimmer, uv sterilizer etc under the tanks so may need to build an outside cupboard

i will up load the designs shortly - when i say designs i mean some very bad google sketch layouts..

TheNamesBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2012, 11:04 AM   #2
TheNamesBond
Registered Member

Cant seem to upload pictures here.. but have added them to my profile..
Pic 1

Pic 2

Unread 06/29/2012, 01:43 PM   #3
danfeig
RC Sponsor

We have very similar sized systems.

My advise??? It would be to take things very slow. Don't rush out and order the tanks. Spend quality times reviewing the tank builds in the Large Reef Forums. Ask for help and advise from those that have completed the task before you. Learn from everyone else's mistakes. Being from Thailand, seek help and advise from the Siam Reef Club, Chingchai and LFS's.

It is very exciting building a reef system and I look forward to following your build!

Unread 06/30/2012, 12:07 AM   #4
TheNamesBond
Registered Member

Many thanks for the advice, sorry but what are LFS's?

have looked at the SRC site but seems to be mainly Thai and my writen Thai is not up to much! nor in fact my spoken Thai. I plan to go to Jatujak market shortly and speak to the shops there and drop in on the SRC.

Unread 06/30/2012, 04:44 AM   #5
Motaz
Registered Member

LFS = local fish stores....

i have built my self a tank that was 3.8meters x 90cm x 100cm... spent 4 months in planing and reading on this forum till i decided the equipment i used... and trust me you can over spend your budget... set a figure that you can afford and try to stick to it... check for aquarium builds, depends on space you have for the rest of the systems as it seems you do have it...

ask many questions and analysis the answers for them in your own way... allot of the members here have amazing experiences that you relate to... feel free to ask...

we are all here to help you out as much as possible....

Current Tank Info: 1000 gallon reef LPS & SPS
Motaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automation, large tank, reef